Kaihe

How to become awakened

I wonder if people have heard of this tecnique? I copy this text from facebook from a teacher called Amrita Simha.

"This person practiced "shikantaza" four hours a day for seven years, as well as Daoist energy work for the last year and half, without - in his own words - being able to cut through the existential doubt that had plagued him throughout his life. After only one a few days of applying the Two-Part Formula he finally broke through:

"Something has definitely shifted. Last night I went to the shops and when I got back home something had changed. It felt very subtle at first, something had fallen away and I felt clearer. At the time I thought it was just another release. This morning I woke feeling good, which is a very rare occurrence for me. When I searched for the I, I just felt the pleasant twitching and a wave of relaxation and well-being. This feeling has steadily gotten stronger and now I’m almost dizzy with relaxation."

This is yet another testament to the effectiveness of the Two-Part Formula, and to the fact that anyone can awaken to the empty nature of the "I" when given down-to-earth practical instructions. If you are serious about spiritual practice, do not postpone your own awakening."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/575355389684182/

50 minutes ago, C T said:

Is this a recruitment ad? 

I wrote in my introduction that I practiced qi gong and gongfu in China with very bad results. i was a spiritual seeker. This tecnique is helped me a lot.

8 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Could you explain the Two-Part Formula for those of us who refuse to touch facehook with a ten-foot pole?

" "Something has definitely shifted. Last night I went to the shops and when I got back home something had changed. It felt very subtle at first, something had fallen away and I felt clearer. At the time I thought it was just another release. This morning I woke feeling good, which is a very rare occurrence for me. When I searched for the I, I just felt the pleasant twitching and a wave of relaxation and well-being. This feeling has steadily gotten stronger and now I’m almost dizzy with relaxation."

- sounds like he gave up his 'retention' practice.

:) 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Those who 'sell' awakening are:

https://www.lifehack.org/648887/how-to-detect-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing

Go to the local park, search for local ads on notice boards, ask/check the rum soaked fist forum for "help finding a teacher" subforum, etc. you'll have better luck finding a good method. 

Sell? i don't see any price tag on the tecnique page, do you?? You guys are distracted.

9 hours ago, Kaihe said:

I wonder if people have heard of this tecnique? I copy this text from facebook from a teacher called Amrita Simha.

"This person practiced "shikantaza" four hours a day for seven years, as well as Daoist energy work for the last year and half, without - in his own words - being able to cut through the existential doubt that had plagued him throughout his life. After only one a few days of applying the Two-Part Formula he finally broke through:

"Something has definitely shifted. Last night I went to the shops and when I got back home something had changed. It felt very subtle at first, something had fallen away and I felt clearer. At the time I thought it was just another release. This morning I woke feeling good, which is a very rare occurrence for me. When I searched for the I, I just felt the pleasant twitching and a wave of relaxation and well-being. This feeling has steadily gotten stronger and now I’m almost dizzy with relaxation."

This is yet another testament to the effectiveness of the Two-Part Formula, and to the fact that anyone can awaken to the empty nature of the "I" when given down-to-earth practical instructions. If you are serious about spiritual practice, do not postpone your own awakening."

Mcdonalds spirituality.

• Like 1

I see, a Zen/Dzogchen/Mahamudra/Shaivite/Kriya/Yogic/Christian/Daoist/Aikido/Tai Chi 13th Bhumi Bodhisattva with 14 "masters without a physical body" who diagnoses your enlightenment based on photos for 200 euros a pop. 

Sure, sounds totally legit. 

https://openheartopenheart.blogspot.com/2016/01/full-list-of-my-teachers-and-masters.html

https://www.amritamandala.com/bhumi-analysis

https://www.amritamandala.com/founder-and-master

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Kaihe said:

Kaihe do you understand how it works yourself, and if so could you put the theory and practice into your own words?

I can tell you how to awaken via the Buddhist path without having to refer you to a website if you wish.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with this "technique". The first part is practiced with small and irrelevant variations by practitioners of Dzogchen and Zen of various flavors. The second is a variation of direct pointing exercises (such as "Mu", or "Who am I") or others  intended to point to the centerlessness and non-existence of the "self" delusion. 

These are sound practices that may aid some people in awakening, though they aren't special or unique in any way. If you are attracted to practicing this, do so. Others may need to feel like they are "doing" something, so will adopt practices with varying degrees of complication or outlandishness, or believe there is one practice that is better than another for awaken. This is great way to to end up more "endarkened" than ever. :)

Awakening is simply noticing that the self, others, time, and space do not exist as things with any separateness, or intrinsic reality of their own. No tradition or instruction is really needed, just taking time out to rest in the expansiveness empty awareness of this moment. If a teacher has a role, it is in pointing out this empty awareness, helping the student to learn to rest in it as often as possible, explore it and understand what it truly is.

The dharma is omnipresent - always RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, and blissfully, lovingly free to anyone who really wants it.

Edited by stirling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stirling said:

Awakening is simply noticing that the self, others, time, and space do not exist as things with any separateness, or intrinsic reality of their own.

Just curious, who's definition is this?

• Like 1

""This person practiced "shikantaza" four hours a day for seven years, as well as Daoist energy work for the last year and half, without - in his own words - being able to cut through the existential doubt"

In my experience of working with humans over some decades, when they learn to control physical and etheric desires, they then know without doubt that they themselves exist beyond the physical world.  This is typified by the statement:  I am!

My test question for them is:  Do you know that existence has meaning?  Or do you believe?

The highest of the physical-etheric energies is characterised by the desire for power.  Once the human has controlled its desire for power, it is ready to enter the spiritual worlds.

1 hour ago, stirling said:

No tradition or instruction is really needed, just taking time out to rest in the expansiveness empty awareness of this moment. If a teacher has a role, it is in pointing out this empty awareness, helping the student to learn to rest in it as often as possible, explore it and understand what it truly is.

The dharma is omnipresent - always RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, and blissfully, lovingly free to anyone who really wants it.

It's so close to us it is easily and consistently overlooked.

So subtle and yet so unimaginably powerful.... and never noticed. 

Most people never get it unless it is pointed out. 

Even then it's very easy to miss or under-appreciate.

From a Bön teaching called the Seven Mirrors of Dzogchen:

It's positive qualities are inconceivable,

Like the revelation of a king's treasure.

The one who rests in its true meaning

Enjoys the inexhaustible wealth of its fruition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mandukya Upanishad Verse 7 

न अन्तःप्रज्ञम्। न वहिःप्रज्ञम्। न उभयतःप्रज्ञम्। न प्रज्ञानधनम्। न प्रज्ञम्। न अप्रज्ञम्। अदृष्टम् अव्यवहार्यम् अग्राह्यम् अलक्षणम् अचिन्त्यम् अव्यपदेश्यम् एकात्मप्रत्यसारं प्रपञ्चोपशमम् शान्तं शिवम् अद्वैतं चतुर्थं मन्यन्ते विवेकिनः । सः आत्मा सः विज्ञेयः ॥

Transliteration

na antaḥprajñam | na vahiḥprajñam | na ubhayataḥprajñam| na prajñānadhanam| na prajñam| na aprajñam| adṛṣṭam avyavahāryam agrāhyam alakṣaṇam acintyam avyapadeśyam ekātmapratyasāraṁ prapañcopaśamam śāntaṁ śivam advaitaṁ caturthaṁ manyante ( vivekinaḥ )| saḥ ātmā saḥ vijñeyaḥ ||

Meaning

He who is neither inward wise, nor outward wise, nor both inward and outward wise, nor wisdom self gathered, nor possessed of wisdom, nor unpossessed of wisdom, He Who is unseen and incommunicable, unseizable, featureless, unthinkable, and unnameable,Whose essentiality is awareness of the Self in its single existence, in Whom all phenomena dissolve, Who is Calm, Who is Good, Who is the One than Whom there is no other, Him they deem the fourth; He is the Self, He is the object of Knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awaken is not a "how to" but it should be spontaneous come out of its own. It is like something, a thought or a philosophy was just realized and become clear all the sudden. It is similar to  an enlightenment.

• Like 1

I see that the bums are more interested in Idian and Tibetan Buddhism. IMO I think the Chinese Buddhism is fading out in the western society. This is only my gut feeling and thoughts.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maddie said:

Just curious, who's definition is this?

This would be my personal definition in this moment, based on my current experiencing. I suppose you could say the phrasing is filtered through many years of training in Nyingma school Tibetan Buddhism, Dzogchen, and Soto Zen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

I see tthat the bums are more interested in Idian and Tibetan Buddhism. IMO I think the Chinese Buddhism is fading out in the western society. This is only my gut feeling and thoughts.

I don’t know if that is true or not, but please count me amongst those who love C’han Buddhism. 🙏

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

I see that the bums are more interested in Idian and Tibetan Buddhism. IMO I think the Chinese Buddhism is fading out in the western society. This is only my gut feeling and thoughts.

Honing a mental framework which is geared towards assimilation of the various teachings from a diverse pool is infinitely more nurturing. And less stressful. 

Dharma, after all, is not just about gathering and retaining knowledge - its to enable the innate wisdom mind to be polished so that gradually its clarity becomes apparent. Teachings, in essence, are expedients... tools that are useful, only up to a point. Knowing when to discard them is just as vital. Otherwise one ends up lugging a weighty boat even after crossing the river. 

We don't want to be mesmerised with the finger pointing at the moon. "How to awaken" is one such finger. When we lose the habit of being enthralled by the various fingers we will inadvertently see as we cultivate sharper discernment, we can begin the proper path to authentic freedom. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

I think Tibetan Buddhism became more well known and widespread in the West because of the Tibetan diaspora after the invasion.  

I think Tibetan Buddhism is widespread is because the whole region was influenced by Indian Buddhism. There are high ranking Tibetan monks preaching in English on YouTube.

18 hours ago, Maddie said:

Kaihe do you understand how it works yourself, and if so could you put the theory and practice into your own words?

I can tell you how to awaken via the Buddhist path without having to refer you to a website if you wish.

i understand. The tecnique and Awake book are on the website for free. It explains everything. I don't link because people here are rude.

Edited by Kaihe
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kaihe said:

i understand. The tecnique and Awake book are on the website for free. It explains everything. I don't link because people here are not so nice.

Maybe not but over the years there have been "sales people" that come through here and they usually have websites to check out and I think people become a bit Jaded.