wandelaar

Lighting up a LED with your body as an antenna?

Is it possible to light up a LED by using your body as an antenna? Apparently this is claimed by some skeptics as an explanation for the electric Chi phenomenon where a LED is lit up by simply holding it without any further equipment.  Now I did a quick internet search and found the following two video's that suggests that the skeptical explanation might hold some truth. Further investigations needs to be done however, so please consider this as a starting post only.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

Is it possible to light up a LED by using your body as an antenna? Apparently this is claimed by some skeptics as an explanation for the electric Chi phenomenon where a LED is lit up by simply holding it without any further equipment.  Now I did a quick internet search and found the following two video's that suggests that the skeptical explanation might hold some truth. Further investigations needs to be done however, so please consider this as a starting post only.

Some ideas for you

Testing should be done in as remote a place as is possible, far away from power lines or devices.

Bring antennas and pieces of metal to test.

Buy LEDs with the lowest forward voltage you can find.

If you would like to test this yourself, the parts are all very cheap.

Our demonstration involves a grounding rod, an LED, and nothing more, so keep it simple.

Please report your results back to us.

Edited by kakapo

I like to focus only on the lighting up of LEDs here, and the question of whether this is possible by using the human body as an antenna. The video's in the OP point out that it is possible by using an ordinary metal antenna, so the first thing I plan to do is to replicate that. This might take some time because I also have other things to do besides experimenting and posting on TDB, and some electronic components might have to be ordered. After that I will see if my own body can take the place of the antenna.

Doing experiments in remote places will have to be done by others. I don't want to investigate everything, and I want to keep it simple and doable for myself.

32 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

@kakapo

Could you tell us what LED's you are using?

1.8v forward voltage 20mA red LEDs

Edited by kakapo

32 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I like to focus only on the lighting up of LEDs here, and the question of whether this is possible by using the human body as an antenna. The video's in the OP point out that it is possible by using an ordinary metal antenna, so the first thing I plan to do is to replicate that. This might take some time because I also have other things to do besides experimenting and posting on TDB, and some electronic components might have to be ordered. After that I will see if my own body can take the place of the antenna.

Doing experiments in remote places will have to be done by others. I don't want to investigate everything, and I want to keep it simple and doable for myself.

At the very least, you'll need to be as far away from a power line as you can be.

Edited by kakapo

As referencing ... is no longer allowed, I will subsequently point at this video as an example:

This doesn't look as related to ... , please inform me if there still is some relation to it. In that case I will be happy to remove the video and look for another one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Here’s a cool video of Bagus the Leaf Man in Bali lighting up an LED

Tenega Dalam as far as I am aware. Powerful stuff

Don’t worry, he’s not part of The Group That Must Not Be Named

This group? 

Lore Details About Death Eaters The 'Harry Potter' Films Don't Tell You

Edited by Shadow_self
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Here’s a cool video of Bagus the Leaf Man in Bali lighting up an LED

I'm surprised Verdesi didn't fall to the ground and somersault backwards. I mean, even the guy looks a bit uncomfortable with the over-reacting. :lol:

• Haha 1

Yes - let's keep on topic so that this thread isn't closed also.

OK - I did some preliminary experiments with a LED and using my own body as an antenna and I found out that lighting up a LED purely by using the electromagnetic waves received by my own body from the surroundings didn't succeed. I will now look if there are some extra conditions that must be satisfied....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Yes - let's keep on topic so that this thread isn't closed also.

OK - I did some preliminary experiments with a LED and using my own body as an antenna and I found out that lighting up a LED purely by using the electromagnetic waves received by my own body from the surroundings didn't succeed. I will now look if there are some extra conditions that must be satisfied....

Would you be up for filming it if you manage to get it to work?

2 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Would you be up for filming it if you manage to get it to work?

I haven't got the equipment to do so. But if I get it to work it wil be in a way that every electronics enthusiast can easily replicate. And I will describe carefully how I did it.

• Like 1

@forestofemptiness

Do you also have a link to a video explaining how it is possible for a LED to be lighted by using the human body as an antenna for harvesting some of the electromagnetic waves in our surroundings?

6 hours ago, wandelaar said:

@forestofemptiness

Do you also have a link to a video explaining how it is possible for a LED to be lighted by using the human body as an antenna for harvesting some of the electromagnetic waves in our surroundings?

I haven't looked that far into it, but the most common methods use an external power source--- either a battery or the field generated by the tesla coil. Some research has shown that it is possible to light up bulbs and led lights with static electricity, so it wouldn't take much. 

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

I did some more experiments with the result that I no longer think that the electromagnetic fields of the electrical equipment in the home of a normal western household as picked up by the human body used as an antenna are strong enough to light up a LED. You need to have some powerful sources of electromagnetic waves present and/or be (very) close to you.

Or somehow use static electricity...

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

There are lots of experiments one can do with static electricity. The following one is easy, and I have succeeded in replicating it myself. You can also use water from a faucet.

Edited by wandelaar

You can ground yourself and lose any potential charge beforehand to rule out static.

They make these LEDs that are designed to light up if you scoot your feet on the carpet in a very dry environment.

human_powered_lightbulb.jpg

Edited by kakapo