Sign in to follow this  
Wun Yuen Gong

Best Books on Reverse Breathing!

Anyone have any good books that explain reverse breathing and how it effects the energy and output of power?

I have PAVELS books already just wanting something from a Daoist view of health and longevity!!

regards

WYG

Anyone have any good books that explain reverse breathing and how it effects the energy and output of power?

I have PAVELS books already just wanting something from a Daoist view of health and longevity!!

regards

WYG

Bruce Franztis "opening the energy gates of your body"

Dennis Lewis has a book titled "The Tao of Natural Breathing" which is a good primer on breathing, only a few pages on reverse breathing but some good pointers.

thanks guys, its funny, I always skipped over breathing and went for "deeper stuff"

I actually had much success and good experiances over the years, but theres now a big hole in my practice and I have to go back and learn the breathing!

regards

WYG

Yang Jwing-Ming's "Embryonic Breathing" is pretty great. I can't speak of the man's cultivation practice, he certainly differs from the Dragon Gate party line on some issues. However, he's a genuine scholar and has dug up a number of texts on the subject of normal and reverse abdominal breathing. Best of all he includes the original Chinese, his translation, and then his interpretation. The original Chinese characters is the real gem, a hard find in English books.

I'm not sure he discusses the output of power as such. But if you practice, you will realize the direct connection between sitting reverse-breathing practice and martial power. It's obvious why this practice is the foundation of internal martial arts.

"吸气过脐下,呼气不出心"

Edited by 松永道

Thanks all, i have alot of books some are Dr Yang, Mantak,just to name a few but not many give the information i guess im looking for. I dont have Dr Yangs book Embryonic Breathing which i might invest on!

WYG

Way too much has been made of "reverse" breathing. It is a very effective method but it often occurs quite naturally. Bruce would often make a big deal out of it, to the point that when I mentioned it when teaching people would shy away. Then when I explained it in normal terms, often the comment was "That's it?"

If there are any doubters about my understanding of this please note that I was among the first people in his organization to be certified "level 2". Personally I don't recognize all this level stuff. Either you can do it or you can't.

i think one of the best books i have read on breathing is:

Anatomy of Breathing by Blandine Calais-Germain

has lots of great information about the anatomy and mechanics involved and a whole section of practical exercises (not only related to reverse breathing but pretty much covers all aspects of breathing)

also describes how to achieve the control that I have heard BK Francis has- able to move individual organs (a function of only moving one side of the diaphragm (if i remember correctly)

anyways it is not really a chinese qi gong book- take a look at the amazon links and search inside function

i think the kind of information in this book is valuable for practitioners of cultivation and martial arts- not real airy fairy stuff or energetics but a good analysis and practicum of the mechanics and physical stuff (could give us all a good base line to discuss from or at least just understand better)

i agree that reverse breathing is something that will occur naturally but i have also learned that when you train it consciously you can use it to strengthen and gain control of parts of the muscles and structure of the torso that you might not of otherwise

franklin

Sign in to follow this