Stars

Greetings Seniors (asking for guidance)

Greetings, Senior Dao Bums! Now that I've gone through this site, it's time for me to sign up. 

Canadian teenager, age 16, here. I am on a goal to eliminate all distractions so that I could concentrate more on myself and improve myself. On this journey, I also want to control my sexual urges and other things. 

So I did some research and learned about Energy Work, Qigong, Mopai, Neigong, Tai Chi, etc. I must admit that listening it feel very overpowered by all the various systems, viewpoints, and perspectives and since I have no idea where to begin, I turned to the internet and found this wonderful place. I ask the Senior Dao Bums around here for advice. I am aware that it will probably take me a lifetime to master something, but I don't want to waste time on activities that will not help me achieve my goal. 

I have zero experience in this and have no idea where to begin and certain systems overlap quite a bit, I occasionally find it difficult to distinguish between them. 

For a complete newbie like me, may the Senior Dao Bums here possibly have more information?
Some guidance on how I can initially connect with my energy and myself without the aid of a master?
Is it a good idea to practice qigong, or are there better techniques to master first? 

I'm really hoping for some responses.

• Like 2

Hi Stars. My advice: best to leave practice till you are much older. Welcome to the forum. :)

6 hours ago, Cobie said:

Hi Stars. My advice: best to leave practice till you are much older. Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank You 

And for the advice, I'm sorry, but I would like to continue. I have practiced Fragrance Qigong for 3 weeks and have started seeing results.

I apologize once more, but I would like to continue on this journey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stars said:

Thank You 

And for the advice, I'm sorry, but I would like to continue. I have practiced Fragrance Qigong for 3 weeks and have started seeing results.

No need to apologise. You do you. :) 

Just now, Cobie said:

No need to apologise. You do you. :) 

Oh, okay.
Could you also suggest some books for beginners that I could read to learn more about this subject?

7 minutes ago, Stars said:

Oh, okay.
Could you also suggest some books for beginners that I could read to learn more about this subject?

Not me. Possibly @Pak_Satrio or @Vajra Fist can.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Stars said:

Energy Work, Qigong, Mopai, Neigong, Tai Chi, etc. I must admit that listening it feel very overpowered by all the various systems, viewpoints, and perspectives and since I have no idea where to begin,

you can begin here

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stars said:

Thank You 

My advice is to look at what is available to you locally.  Try to practice with a teacher if you can rather than from books.  Adopt the attitude of testing to destruction.  That is practice as hard as you can for say three months, then review.  Ask yourself what has worked and what has not.  Challenge critically any ideas you've been given to see if they stand up to scrutiny.  If they do keep them, if they don't throw them away.

Don't try to mess around with sexual urges until you are older.  Just accept you are going to have them and dedicate yourself to being a decent helpful human being.  If your heart is in the right place all will be ok.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Stars said:

Thank You 

Hi Stars,

If I may recommend, don’t bother with Fragrance Qigong even though it is very powerful. The problem with it is that it’s not that compatible with other systems so in the end you will have to either abandon it or miss out on a lot more that you could be learning. For a good qigong system to begin with I recommend Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, it also has fast results. You can learn it by getting the DVDs or joining one of Sifu Terry’s zoom classes, check out the big thread about it here or PM me for more details.

If it’s something like Mo Pai you are interested, I recommend Authentic Neigong by Rudi, it’s also very easy to learn and all online. Search for the threads here for more info or check out the website. It will teach you how to faqi (the electric shock treatment that Pak John did at his clinic). For a book similar to Magus of Java I recommend Adventures in Qi: Healing with Master Jiang. Rudi learned from Master Jiang and currently learns from Master Zhou.

Check out this video: 

Master Jiang is the first guy in the video, and the guy in the rest of the video is Master Zhou.

Here is a reading list I have compiled that might interest you:

I don’t recommend reading books on theory, you can learn the relevant stuff from your masters that you end up with. Practice is way more important than filling your mind with information that may or may not be relevant to your lineage. I personally like books about different masters or stories about practitioners, inspires me to practice more.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Stars,

If I may recommend something, don’t bother with Fragrance Qigong, even though it is very powerful. The problem with it is that it’s not that compatible with other systems, so in the end, you will have to either abandon it or miss out on a lot more that you could be learning. For a good qigong system to begin with, I recommend Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, which also has fast results. You can learn it by getting the DVDs or joining one of Sifu Terry’s Zoom classes; check out the big thread about it here, or PM me for more details.

If it’s something like Mo Pai in which you are interested, I recommend Authentic Neigong by Rudi; it’s also very easy to learn and all done online. Search for the threads here for more info, or check out the website. It will teach you how to do faqi (the electric shock treatment that Pak John did at his clinic). For a book similar to Magi of Java, I recommend Adventures in Qi: Healing with Master Jiang. Rudi learned from Master Jiang and is currently learning from Master Zhou.

Check out this video: 

Master Jiang is the first guy in the video, and the guy in the rest of the video is Master Zhou.

Here is a reading list I have compiled that might interest you:

I don’t recommend reading books on theory; you can learn the relevant stuff from your masters that you end up with. Practice is way more important than filling your mind with information that may or may not be relevant to your lineage. I personally like books about different masters or stories about practitioners, which inspire me to practice more.

Hope this helps!

Hello, and thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

Also, after reading a lot about Flying Phoenix Chi Kung here and at Alchemical Garden, I wanted to start with it, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get the DVDs because I'm not in Canada. When I return, I'll look for local masters who teach it or enroll in Sifu Terry's online lessons. Also, what exactly do "compatible with other systems" and "abandon" mean? Is there any disadvantage to training it with different systems, and will abandoning it have any consequences?

Furthermore, thank you for the reading list. I am a voracious reader and want to learn about other practitioners and their perspectives on the system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stars said:

Hello, and thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

Also, after reading a lot about Flying Phoenix Chi Kung here and at Alchemical Garden, I wanted to start with it, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get the DVDs because I'm not in Canada. When I return, I'll look for local masters who teach it or enroll in Sifu Terry's online lessons. Also, what exactly do "compatible with other systems" and "abandon" mean? Is there any disadvantage to training it with different systems, and will abandoning it have any consequences?

Furthermore, thank you for the reading list. I am a voracious reader and want to learn about other practitioners and their perspectives on the system.

If two systems are incompatible with each other, you will experience negative side effects such as qi deviations, draining your qi or others. There’s no downside abandoning a system apart from the time wasted practicing it, in your case 3 weeks which isn’t bad anyway. 

Send Sifu Terry an email, he’s working on making the DVDs available on Vimeo so maybe he can help you out there, if it’s not ready yet I recommend taking lessons with him on zoom. It doesn’t have to be a private lesson, just join the beginner zoom classes. In a way it’s better than learning from the DVDs because you will get direct feedback and corrections, plus will get taught other practices that help. Ideally get the DVDs and do the zoom lessons so you have the DVDs as reference to practice to if you forget the movements. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2023 at 11:38 PM, Stars said:

Greetings, Senior Dao Bums! Now that I've gone through this site, it's time for me to sign up. 

Canadian teenager, age 16, here. I am on a goal to eliminate all distractions so that I could concentrate more on myself and improve myself. On this journey, I also want to control my sexual urges and other things. 

So I did some research and learned about Energy Work, Qigong, Mopai, Neigong, Tai Chi, etc. I must admit that listening it feel very overpowered by all the various systems, viewpoints, and perspectives and since I have no idea where to begin, I turned to the internet and found this wonderful place. I ask the Senior Dao Bums around here for advice. I am aware that it will probably take me a lifetime to master something, but I don't want to waste time on activities that will not help me achieve my goal. 

I have zero experience in this and have no idea where to begin and certain systems overlap quite a bit, I occasionally find it difficult to distinguish between them. 

For a complete newbie like me, may the Senior Dao Bums here possibly have more information?
Some guidance on how I can initially connect with my energy and myself without the aid of a master?
Is it a good idea to practice qigong, or are there better techniques to master first? 

Hello @Stars

I'm going to sound blunt here, but there's a good reason for it

You're 16.

Honestly, go and be a 16 year old. STOP worrying about sex and energy and the likes

You don't want be one of the people who ends up screwing up the natural cycling of Jing, or worrying about all this internal energy and whatnot.  Forget about qigong, neigong and the likes for now (believe me, you will understand why I'm saying this in a few years)

Your body has not finished developing yet, and your mind will not be helped by diving too deeply right now

If you really want to do something that wont cause you trouble, take up a good martial art, and park the rest of it until you are a bit older. Take up a simple breathing exercise too if you want to calm your mind. That would be about the limits

The discipline and strength will help you when the time comes. Far more than you realize

Further to the above recommendation, id forget about "connecting with your energy" if I was you.  Not forever, just for a while

The likelihood is you will end up back here in a few months complaining of issues (like so many before you have). Issues a doctor or psychologist will not be able to help you with. 

Seriously,  it might sound cliche, but go and be a kid while you still can. The rest of it will be ready when your mind, body, and hormones are ready

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Stars  The best advice is not to seek advice and guidance on Forums. Don't think that because people are older and study for years from some celebrity teachers, they are qualified enough to give feedback or teach. "Seniors" may lead you down the pitfall where they sit themselves.

15-16 is a good age to start qigong training. Once you develop decent energy sensitivity and energy surplus, you can start thinking of which path and direction you want to take and how to develop further. There is a lot more to this world than just neigong/qigong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neirong said:

@Stars  The best advice is not to seek advice and guidance on Forums. Don't think that because people are older and study for years from some celebrity teachers, they are qualified enough to give feedback or teach. "Seniors" may lead you down the pitfall where they sit themselves.

15-16 is a good age to start qigong training. Once you develop decent energy sensitivity and energy surplus, you can start thinking of which path and direction you want to take and how to develop further. There is a lot more to this world than just neigong/qigong.

Tells person not to seek advice on a forum.

Proceeds to give person advice on a forum

You really are too much sometimes. :D 

I don't know if its a happy accident or purposely trolling but you do make me laugh. Thanks for that :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/4/2023 at 8:39 PM, Shadow_self said:

Hello @Stars

I'm going to sound blunt here, but there's a good reason for it

You're 16.

Honestly, go and be a 16 year old. STOP worrying about sex and energy and the likes

You don't want be one of the people who ends up screwing up the natural cycling of Jing, or worrying about all this internal energy and whatnot.  Forget about qigong, neigong and the likes for now (believe me, you will understand why I'm saying this in a few years)

Your body has not finished developing yet, and your mind will not be helped by diving too deeply right now

If you really want to do something that wont cause you trouble, take up a good martial art, and park the rest of it until you are a bit older. Take up a simple breathing exercise too if you want to calm your mind. That would be about the limits

The discipline and strength will help you when the time comes. Far more than you realize

Further to the above recommendation, id forget about "connecting with your energy" if I was you.  Not forever, just for a while

The likelihood is you will end up back here in a few months complaining of issues (like so many before you have). Issues a doctor or psychologist will not be able to help you with. 

Seriously,  it might sound cliche, but go and be a kid while you still can. The rest of it will be ready when your mind, body, and hormones are ready

Hello, and there's no need to say you're going to be blunt or anything; as I previously stated, I'm a complete novice on this subject and wouldn't know if it's good or bad for me.

Also, after reading a lot of biography and theory, I think it is preferable for me to first workout and have a healthy body before doing Qigong, Mopai, Neigong, Tai Chi, and so on, since, like you mentioned, my body is still developing, and I don't want to screw it up. And, yes, it may sounded cliché, but you're right I want to enjoy my life and be a kid for the time I have left.

I'll simply lurk here, ask questions, and explore all the forums while reading some energy books.

Anyway, thank you; could you also tell me if fragrant qigong counts as a martial art, since I feel stimulated after practicing it twice a day, despite the fact that it has no meditation or anything, and what you mean by simple breathing exercise?

55 minutes ago, Stars said:

Hello, and there's no need to say you're going to be blunt or anything; as I previously stated, I'm a complete novice on this subject and wouldn't know if it's good or bad for me.

Also, after reading a lot of biography and theory, I think it is preferable for me to first workout and have a healthy body before doing Qigong, Mopai, Neigong, Tai Chi, and so on, since, like you mentioned, my body is still developing, and I don't want to screw it up. And, yes, it may sounded cliché, but you're right I want to enjoy my life and be a kid for the time I have left.

I'll simply lurk here, ask questions, and explore all the forums while reading some energy books.

Anyway, thank you; could you also tell me if fragrant qigong counts as a martial art, since I feel stimulated after practicing it twice a day, despite the fact that it has no meditation or anything, and what you mean by simple breathing exercise?

Qigong will always be there, you've got about two years left before you have to be an adult :D 

Good workouts to do would be some basic bodyweight stuff. You want to be fit but not a bodybuilder. No need to go hammering weights, that actually makes the other stuff harder later on :) Remember to stretch quite a bit, I cannot emphasize enough how useful that will be!

Yeah fragrant qigong isnt something you should bother with either for now. All that stuff will be there when you get a bit older. As for the breathing, just something simple like sitting and observing your breathing with a gentle awareness for a few minutes each day. You'd be suprised how many people start this stuff and cannot even sit still for 5 minutes :) It is quite calming too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stars said:

FYI There is no age limit for Qigong and Tai Chi practice. The early you start the early you will be benefited for your health.

Anyway, fragrant qigong is a form of Taij Chi.Tai Chi is a form of qigong is because it involved with breathing. Qigong will help you to build up your body strength. Using the body strength to defend yourself may count as a martial art.

Simple breathing exercise means learn to breathe to accomplish abdominal breathing is the goal. However, abdominal breathing begins with simple breathing until the breathing can go deep down to the abdominal so to speak.

Any form of breathing method is considered to be Qigong, but most people do not take it as its definition. However, who cares what it is called. Just do the breathing exercise, it will not harm you but give you better health. Just remember, the deeper you can breathe the more healthier you will be.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 2

As someone who’s been deeply involved in internal arts for a couple of decades - I’d also 100% recommend working out (callisthenics), getting strong and flexible and maybe learning some martial arts (in-person… just find a good boxing/kick-boxing/bjj gym - look for gyms with a good, friendly atmosphere and where everyone works hard and places honour and integrity above force and violence)…

This, at your age, will set you up to benefit from qigong or any other type of internal art more than anything else. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 6:38 PM, Stars said:

Greetings @Stars and welcome to the forum!

I'm an old guy and have some experience with energy work, qigong, neigong, taiji, meditation, and martial arts.

A few suggestions - avoid anything related to Mopai. It is a dead end. Total waste of time IMO.

As others have suggested, take advantage of your youth and health and prioritize vigorous physical activity and exercise. This will benefit you now and even more as you get older, particularly when you're an old fart like me. There will be plenty of time for the more esoteric internal arts in the future and progress in those arts will be greatly enhanced by a healthy body and mind.

Team sports and activities are particularly valuable in this age of cyber-life and isolation.

The teenage and early adult years can be extremely stressful and I think meditation is worth considering at your stage in life. 

Suppressing urges, sexual or otherwise, is rarely effective or healthy. Better to understand the urges and find a way to accept them and yourself for experiencing them. Over-indulgence is not healthy either, of course. Balance is key.

Most of all engage in and enjoy and make the most of your youth and your health, it is now or never. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:08 AM, Stars said:

Some suggestions to fill the dantien as a level 2 mopai guy.

1. Do mopai level 1. It's great for health.

2. Some master suggested this: sit in the lotus and focus on the dantien. You can achieve enlightenment this way too as legends say.

3. Learn from a master/teacher who has had their dantien filled.

- do at least 1600 hours of only that. no qigong. tai chi ok. but no energy manipulation.

- microcosmic orbit and diet helps with any dangers of side effects. avoid excess carbs.

100 percent dantien means you are stronger than shaolin iron head, arm and most tai chi perormers and even martial artists.

Edited by Pyramidalcow
  • Thanks 1

El 01-02-2023 a las 20:38, Estrellas dijo:

Edited by Eduardo
Delete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 12:38 AM, Stars said:

Chi Dragon is right.  Young or not,  there's nothing wrong doing some breathing techniques and such..  Even some YiJing Jin like Master Shi Heng Yi (check on youtube)  : 

You can do also Martial Arts or Boxing, this is very good and should be done when young.

• Thanks 1