Sign in to follow this  
C11

Dangerous practices with mental issues?

Hi,

For starters: I'm a newbie. My apologies if I don't use the correct words or terminology. I've read a lot on this forum, but, to be honest, the amount of information and discussion between different paths is overwhelming. 

I'm currently 35 years old and I had a pretty rough life with different mental challenges. I was never hospitalized, but had plenty of therapy for depression, trauma, anxiety and 2 periodes of psychosis. At the moment, I'm actually doing pretty well. I'm not the happiest person on earth, but it's not a depression anymore and the psychosis is a long time ago. I have not taken any psychiatric medication for the last year. Anxiety and trauma will always be a part of my life, but I can handle that. 

A big part of me getting better was using different practices to relaxe and to get more out of my head. Meditation, yoga and following Qi Gong videos on youtube were a really big part of that. Because they gave me so much benefits, I want to examine these things further now and take it more serious. 

However, there seems to be a lot of warnings on the internet about for example doing Qi Gong when you have a history of mental issues. There are lots of horror stories about Qi deviations or kundalini awakenings gone wrong.

But I don't know how serious I have to take these warnings... So, I would like to ask the people on here what their stance on this is? 

• Like 1

increases in energy require increases in proper use and grounding...and there is that saying that 'the higher one goes the further they can fall"  That is why we hear so much about having a qualified teacher to mitigate or prevent such back-firings which can get really hairy...

1 hour ago, C11 said:

Hi,

For starters: I'm a newbie. My apologies if I don't use the correct words or terminology. I've read a lot on this forum, but, to be honest, the amount of information and discussion between different paths is overwhelming. 

I'm currently 35 years old and I had a pretty rough life with different mental challenges. I was never hospitalized, but had plenty of therapy for depression, trauma, anxiety and 2 periodes of psychosis. At the moment, I'm actually doing pretty well. I'm not the happiest person on earth, but it's not a depression anymore and the psychosis is a long time ago. I have not taken any psychiatric medication for the last year. Anxiety and trauma will always be a part of my life, but I can handle that. 

A big part of me getting better was using different practices to relaxe and to get more out of my head. Meditation, yoga and following Qi Gong videos on youtube were a really big part of that. Because they gave me so much benefits, I want to examine these things further now and take it more serious. 

However, there seems to be a lot of warnings on the internet about for example doing Qi Gong when you have a history of mental issues. There are lots of horror stories about Qi deviations or kundalini awakenings gone wrong.

But I don't know how serious I have to take these warnings... So, I would like to ask the people on here what their stance on this is? 

If you want to get out of your mind and into your body - A good Taiji program. Adam Mizner or Damo Mitchell are recommended

When you feel you are in a place where you have cultivated a more relaxed mind, then look at qigong or neigong. Prior to that, it can be a little risky, but that depends on the methods.

Lindsey Wei has a great Yang Shen Gong course for about 50 USD that I think is great value too if the others dont appeal :) Nice simple way to start a daily practice that focuses on repairing the body

• Like 1

7 hours ago, C11 said:

I recommend you take the warnings seriously. Sooner or later meditation and energetic practices will open you up to any repressed or suppressed trauma and darkness. The transformation and growth promised by these methods require it. Energetic practices and meditative focus can intensify the experience and consequences.

In my experience, a very small number of people interested in these practices stick with them long enough to see any real changes in themselves. Even fewer have negative effects. Nevertheless, a little caution goes a long way.

• Like 5

My introduction to qi gong was through workshops given by my naturopath/acupuncturist.  If you can swing a situation like this, I think it would be the way to go.  It's better to take an in- person class where you are practicing with a teacher and other students.  Don't be too gung ho.  Don't aim for enlightenment or immortality or anything that smacks of saintliness.  Aim to have fun, socialize a bit with like-minded people, and move your body in a mindful, healthy way.  Emphasize movement practices rather than stillness meditation.  Give yourself permission to stop if you get uncomfortable.  If you can do this, I think you'll be fine.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice! 

I like the idea to just focus on moving my body in a mindful, healthy way to start with. And then see where it gets me when my mind gets more relaxed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, C11 said:

Thanks for the advice! 

I like the idea to just focus on moving my body in a mindful, healthy way to start with. And then see where it gets me when my mind gets more relaxed. 

Everyone always laughs at this suggestion - but partner dancing!

Any kind of dancing really - but with a partner it’s even better.

Its fun, it’s mindful, it’s social and it’s a gentle form of exercise - and it makes other people happy too.

Its especially good for people who tend to be on the more introverted side.

I’d say that internal arts aren’t that well suited to people who suffer with anxiety and depression - because the inward focus can exacerbate these over time.

Exercise is also great - fast paced walking, jogging or callisthenics - especially in a supportive group setting.

But dancing is better :) 

• Like 6

It is important to have a stable "self" before taking it apart. Take some time to work with a decent counselor and/or psychiatrist before you start the work if you have any doubts about where you are with things. Meditation practice WILL (and should) dig up your unprocessed trauma and feelings. Dropping what obscures you from seeing things as they are is the way forward. If you know you have unprocessed personal stuff, at least begin the process of tackling it.

I would also suggest looking at what your motivation for practice is. What do you want to get out of it? Knowing the answer to this question can guide what sort of practices you choose and what your intention (which is VERY important) is for where they lead. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 11:56 AM, freeform said:

Everyone always laughs at this suggestion - but partner dancing!

Exercise is also great - fast paced walking, jogging or callisthenics - especially in a supportive group setting.

But dancing is better :) 

Intense hatha yoga, partner dancing, and looking after my nutrition/food choices are what took me from feeling completely nonfunctional at regular life to feeling much more capable in regular life activities. So here's at least one person who isn't laughing when you suggest this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this