Shugyo

Acupuntcure in Chicago

I tried acupuncture recently for the very first time, hoping to get make some progress on a nerve issue in my left leg.

For years I have wanted to, and have had chiropractors and other 'also-acupuncturists' offer to try, but I've always declined, wanting more of an authentic 'master' with knowledge of Chi and energy systems. I finally found an old, Chinese man in Chicago who was an acupuncturist and Qigong teacher. "Eureka!" I thought. I set up an appointment. I was so pleased to see a large NeiJingTu banner on his wall!

I suppose maybe my expectations were too high? He asked me a few questions, and then just stuck the needles in and hooked them up to the electrical stimulator and left for 15 minutes. He repositioned needles twice, and zapped me some more lol - I guess felt that this is what someone who took the 'weekend course' and got certified would do. Does anyone have a wider frame of reference in acupuncture?

Is this how all acupuncture is?

Edited by Shugyo

33 minutes ago, Shugyo said:

Is this how all acupuncture is?

in the west yes. what is it that acupuncture is supposed to do again?

• Like 1

Good question! :D *shrugs

My understanding is that acupuncture is supposed to help clear blockages and open up any stagnant areas of Qi?

My HOPE was that it might also encourage nerve growth or regeneration, but I'm not sure that's possible...

Maybe he would do more if I became a student of his in Qigong? Or... maybe there is just nothing more that can be done.

• Like 1

Thank you for the recommendation! I will look up Dr. Suh - That is encouraging to hear you know people who have gotten good results.