Lo2022

Which online schooling should I look for?

Hello everyone,

Hope your December is going smoothly. I've always thought about starting a Qigong practice but I'm currently more serious about actually getting started. Physically I could use more energy overall, but I'm looking to learn a practice which is more for the spiritual and emotional benefits. I'm learning about different instructors out there with online courses (Anthony, Lee Holden) but not sure who to pick based on my needs. I consistently meditate and do breathwork and my goal with Qigong is to get into a more effortless and peaceful state. I would ideally like to continue breathwork as I start a qigong practice.

I was reading someone's comment the other day about how he does some kind of advanced qigong that helps him (merge with the cosmos?) not sure if I'm repeating that correctly, and that his intuition is developed in a way where he makes better decisions. He says he feels blissed out through doing this daily practice. Which form of qigong or instructor with online courses should I look into for similar results? Ideally an instructor who is detailed about form teaches in a way that helps the student get the most out of this practice.

Thank you

On 12/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Lo2022 said:

I would ideally like to continue breathwork as I start a qigong practice.

Hi, Lo2022, welcome to TDB.
Good, please continue with the breath work. It is because that is what Qigong is all about.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, Lo2022 said:

Hello everyone,

Hope your December is going smoothly. I've always thought about starting a Qigong practice but I'm currently more serious about actually getting started. Physically I could use more energy overall, but I'm looking to learn a practice which is more for the spiritual and emotional benefits. I'm learning about different instructors out there with online courses (Anthony, Lee Holden) but not sure who to pick based on my needs. I consistently meditate and do breathwork and my goal with Qigong is to get into a more effortless and peaceful state. I would ideally like to continue breathwork as I start a qigong practice.

I was reading someone's comment the other day about how he does some kind of advanced qigong that helps him (merge with the cosmos?) not sure if I'm repeating that correctly, and that his intuition is developed in a way where he makes better decisions. He says he feels blissed out through doing this daily practice. Which form of qigong or instructor with online courses should I look into for similar results? Ideally an instructor who is detailed about form teaches in a way that helps the student get the most out of this practice.

Thank you

@Lo2022

• Like 2

Please keep in mind. Qigong is for breath work and Neigong is for increasing the body strength to be very powerful. However, one must know Qigong before the practice of Neigong. It would help to speed up the Neigong process.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Spring Forest Qigong or Bruce Frantzis Energy Arts seem to fit your current practice. I have practiced both with good results.

Spring Forest incorporates he calls "Energy Breathing" with accompanying visualization, reverse breathing, and slow breathing over all. This, of course, is in addition to the rest of the program involving standing meditations, sitting, diet, teachings on attitude, and even incorporates Buddhist chants such as the six-syllable chant and the Heart Sutra. After a moderate amount of practice, you can easily access what Chunyi Lin calls "emptiness", for us beginners it is likely just jhana or access concentration but who knows maybe he really does guide us towards glimpses of emptiness.

Bruce Frantzis has breathing programs also. His are far more technical and detailed, the although the main idea of his breathing teachings is to slow down your breathing to one breath per minute or less. While he has experience in Tibetan Buddhism, his teachings are purely Taoist. One of his students famously healed her mental illness (i believe it was bipolar disorder?) through the "dissolving practice." Also a good starting point if you'd like to learn Tai Chi online. Through his lessons, I had a firm grasp on the basics such that when I eventually was able to attend an in-person class with another teacher, they had remarked that it was obvious I had done tai chi before. 

There is Flying Phoenix Chi Kung by Sifu Terry Dunn. Very highly regarded. I have the least experience with this one regrettably, although I have benefitted immensely from Sifu Terry Dunn's teachings alone. Does not incorporate pranayama style breathwork (in his DVDs at least), although you are free to practice it separately. He might teach it in advanced classes, I wouldn't know. Integrates well with kung fu and tai chi practices. 

Damo Mitchell's Lotus Neigong also highly regarded but I have 0 experience. 

Edited by searcher7977
  • Like 3

Thank you searcher that's a very thorough recommendation of what to look into. I have heard good
things about Spring Forest--and it sounds like it could align ith what I'm looking for. Haven't heard of
Bruce Frantzis so I'd have to look into that. Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of this coursework?
https://renxueamericas.org/learning-center/qigong-online-learning-courses/