dino

body /arms movements

i glue a straw on my body so you can see the movement.
when i do number3 body then hands (my hands are like robot hands i dont move them,body is moving them)i get more tired like it"s harder.
so was wondering does it makes any diffrence or it is all in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_oFL5JXLKM

Yes, it makes a difference is because the movements of your body and the arms are out of sync. The arms and the body should be moving in same direction. Otherwise, your body muscles are twisted due the movements in the opposite direction. Thus you are putting a strain on your muscles that will cause fatigue.

P.S.
Even though, your arms are not moving, but actually, they are moving at zero speed which is still against the movement of the body.

Edited by ChiDragon

15 hours ago, Barnaby said:

The movement should start from the centre surely?

Initially, yes.
However, the movements can start anywhere as long the arms and body start at the same place and the same time.

Edited by ChiDragon

Hi dino,

Most of all, relax your shoulders and tuck your tailbone in - not forcefully, more as in just letting the pelvis naturally roll forward. This will align the vertebrae in your spine and give the back a 'C' shape as opposed to its usual 'S' shape. At the same time, you want to tuck your chin in and keep your head up, as to keep your posture upright overall.

On 04/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, dino said:

when i do number3 body then hands (my hands are like robot hands i dont move them,body is moving them)i get more tired like it"s harder.
so was wondering does it makes any diffrence or it is all in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_oFL5JXLKM

Who are you learning from? :) 

22 minutes ago, freeform said:

Who are you learning from? :) 

https://alineageofdragons.com/videos.html

one day i try to do slow form and i was thinking about body first or hands and i wanted to film this video to learn ...

i feel when i do it from the center more power comes ,i dont know

• Like 1

I’d recommend finding a real life teacher who understands tai chi qualities and can give you corrections.

In my experience, of the 3 big internals (along with xingyi and bagua), tai chi is the hardest to get right.

’Course, that doesn’t stop millions of people enjoying themselves getting it wrong… :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dino said:

https://alineageofdragons.com/videos.html

one day i try to do slow form and i was thinking about body first or hands and i wanted to film this video to learn ...

i feel when i do it from the center more power comes ,i dont know

Ahh ok, thanks.

I’m not sure exactly how Steve teaches his stuff, but from my perspective I’d suggest working a lot more on using the kwa and using standing practices to get your body to knit together into a single unit.

At the moment your body is working as lots of separate parts. (This is the case for almost everyone who hasn’t trained by the way!)

This might not be the way Steve does things though - so he’d certainly be the best person to ask.

Me personally, I think that being able to sink and connect the body is what’s most important at the beginning for pretty much any internal practice.

Anyway - welcome to the forum! Glad you figured out how to get it all working :) 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 2:41 AM, dino said:

It is not about harder.  When the hand positions are fixed, they serve a specific purpose.  Whether the hands should work independently from the body depends very much on the objective of that particular movement in that particular Chi Kung. 

After watching some videos, I would suggest you don't try to learn Tai Chi online from Gray.  It is very difficult to do it right without real teacher.

As to his Tien Shan Chi Kung which is suppose to be what you are doing, is a bit rare.   I don't know Tien Shan CK is good or not, but rare Chi Kung has a problem.  Students cannot get materials to cross reference or seeing the style from another angle, played by another teacher, or ask other people on the web.  In China's search engine, there is only a single entry of Tien Shan in video, but 2440 entries of Big Swan in Google itself.   Even if we got a real life teacher, we frequently still need to refer to the web.   The popular Chi Kungs may not be the most suitable for you.  But you should consider this point. 

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I’d recommend finding a real life teacher who understands tai chi qualities and can give you corrections

I have experience in Teaching Taiji in the Chinese Senior Community Center. I see couple students can correct the posture by one or two reminders. All the rest can never change. They can only do it right at the time when was reminded. Then, they go back to the same old way again. What I am saying is that is up to the intelligence of the student and the ability to adapt. I have one student learning the Taiji sword, she is the one who ask me to initiate the sword class. Unfortunately, I have repeated many many times instructed her to make the corrections for weeks. I still see the samo samo with no improvement. I was, finally, had given her up.

I was told that she is not interested in doing it right but just to exercise by doing the movements.  Now, she is joining the advance class as well with a slight improvement.

P.S.
I told my students, how do you know that you are doing it right is to find your balance point at each move. Then, it can flow to the next move. Otherwise, one will be off center and might fall off in one direction or the other. The self correction was accomplished from the diligent practice not relying on the teacher. One can only learn the basic moves from the teacher, the rest is self discipline.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

I see couple students can correct the posture by one or two reminders. All the rest can never change. They can only do it right at the time when was reminded. Then, they go back to the same old way again.

Really interesting. I wonder how much this applies to all age groups.

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

I told my students, how do you know that you are doing it right is to find your balance point at each move. Then, it can flow to the next move. Otherwise, one will be off center and might fall off in one direction or the other. The self correction was accomplished from the diligent practice not relying on the teacher.

So it's both, right? The teacher teaches and, if necessary, corrects. And the student has to put the work in on their own to progress.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Really interesting. I wonder how much this applies to all age groups.

So it's both, right? The teacher teaches and, if necessary, corrects. And the student has to put the work in on their own to progress.

I don't think age has anything to do with learning. It is totally up to the intelligence of each individual with the willingness to learn.

Yes, It works both ways. The student has to put the work in on their own to progress. The purpose of the Taiji is to condition one's body for good health. It is a matter of practice with diligence.

16 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

The purpose of the Taiji is to condition one's body for good health.

I'm with you on that these days, but not sure the Invincible Yang would have agreed :)

5 hours ago, Barnaby said:

I'm with you on that these days, but not sure the Invincible Yang would have agreed :)

Who is this invincible Yang? Where is the invincible Yin then?
Ask me any question about Taiji from a guy who practice for more than forty years.:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Barnaby said:

4 hours ago, Barnaby said:

image.png.118ae24183aca623bb30ae6880ae06ea.png

This one ;)

Ah! Master Yang Luchan( 楊露禪(1799年-1872年) ), the master of Taiji, himself. If he is invincible, then, he must has a healthy and strong body to be invincible. FYI Taiji masters do not have big muscles to show off but invisible strength called jin(). The Jin is acquired from the diligence of practice day and day, month by month, and year by year.

• Like 1