Sign in to follow this  
Prasanna

Philosophy And Spirituality

Vedanta Philosophy explains about ways to lead a Selfless Life, Truthful life, Values to be followed in life, and final Self Realization. First and foremost of values is "Non hatred towards all the beings of the world". Not hurtful towards any being in the world. Compassion, Friendliness, Non anger, Self Control (Sense Control), Shraddha (Faith),  Away from Crowd,  Unaffected by joy and sorrow, heat and cold, Not desire ridden, Non jealousy. Vedanta covers both Idealism and Realism. Leading a life by following:

i) Waking up early in the morning betwween 4.00A.M and 5.30A.M. This time is called Brahma Muhurtha (4.00 A.M - 6.00 A.M), Studying Scriptural texts and related texts like Vedanta Treatise, Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Choice Upanishads, Select English Poems (Books by Swami. A.Parthasarathy).

ii) Practice of Karma Yoga (Path of Action), Bhakthi Yoga (Path of Devotion), Gnana Yoga (Path of Knowledge) according to one's constitution.

iii) Steadfastness, Determination to achieve the goal takes the individual to Meditation and Self Realiation.

A message2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the very bloody battle of Hindu clans told of in the Bhagavad Gita contradicts the "not hurtful towards any being in the world" precept,  granted a soldier's dharma includes violence while that of a Brahmin priest, monk, nun or other renunciates does not, so it will not work to try and be both on such a battlefield whether in action, words or thought.... 

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lairg said:

Forms are destroyed but Life continues

I'm aware of the "spiritual" rationalizations along that line or what I mentioned in my previous post but I don' t buy them, btw there are some Hindu sects that don't  buy them either...

Edited by old3bob

10 hours ago, Lairg said:

So the various past lives I recall did/do not exist

different subject (from my spin-off of the OP), what I meant was "spiritual" type rationalizations used to make violent war somehow sound ok, when that should be the very last resort or (defensive) action because of the great suffering involved.  Many religions have used it, for instance many Christians believed it was their "manifest destiny" to offensively  take over and end up committing genocide against millions of American Indians, or the Spanish and other Europeans'  to commit genocide and slavery against countless south and central American Indians, Africans, and too many others to name here. And lets not  forget the British takeover and plundering of India to name just a few examples of rationalized "manifest" type destinies ! (against many indigenous peoples in most of the world) 

Edited by old3bob

Unfortunately a meeting of the minds in way of convincing another person that your ideals is correct fails.  People don't like change, and they don't like to be told their way is wrong, thus; WAR!

13 hours ago, Lairg said:

So the various past lives I recall did/do not exist

'Recall ' is memory .

What cognitive function distinguishes between  the   memory of    of actual events from the  memory of   fantasised, imagined,  or dreamed  events ?

Edited by Nungali

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

What cognitive function distinguishes between  the   memory of    of actual events from the  memory of   fantasised, imagined,  or dreamed  events ?

Go back in time and perform experiments to test what is real on that timeline. 

Some dreams are imposed artificial constructs.

For example an artificial experience contains fire by friction and possibly solar fire but not electric fire.

Edited by Lairg

If "God" had some purpose in manifesting this universe, it may be that humans have a contribution to make.  

If so, distinguishing the Real from the Unreal might be an important skill for humans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lairg said:

If "God" had some purpose in manifesting this universe, it may be that humans have a contribution to make.  

If so, distinguishing the Real from the Unreal might be an important skill for humans.

I'd say there isn't a maybe about it, regarding purpose and a dharmic place for all beings, including human ones.

Edited by old3bob

48 minutes ago, old3bob said:

I'd say no maybe about it regarding purpose

I wonder if this particular universe is a democracy.

22 hours ago, Lairg said:

Go back in time and perform experiments to test what is real on that timeline. 

Oh, I see now......   your discernment in  cognitive function involve time travel .

Some dreams are imposed artificial constructs.

Dreams are 'artificial'  now ?

For example an artificial experience contains fire by friction and possibly solar fire but not electric fire.

I will let my Aboriginal friends know their traditional life style is an artificial experience . 

20 hours ago, Lairg said:

But not for you though ....  you time travel to check your reality .

Thats pretty funny  :)

18 hours ago, Lairg said:

I wonder if this particular universe is a democracy.

And one day we will vote you in as God ? 

Sign in to follow this