Hello once again recently I have been reading Taoist Yoga_ Alchemy and immortality, I was wondering on peoples idea of the book and the practices It held I saw that there isnt much on taoist yoga on here so I thought we could discuss it? Maybe?

Hey there WT, welcome to the Bums.

There was a fair amount of discussion on it over the years, though it's been a while since then; if you don't get any bites with this thread, you could try searching the older threads for the content.  Several members had strong interest as I recall.

11 hours ago, WitheringTree said:

we could discuss it? Maybe?

why not indeed. I have translated that book anew from cover to cover. The published translation is inadequate because it uses confusing terminology and omits many personal experiences of the author. what is it you would like to know?

32 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

why not indeed. I have translated that book anew from cover to cover. The published translation is inadequate because it uses confusing terminology and omits many personal experiences of the author. what is it you would like to know?

Any chance this translation will be available to the public?

54 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

what is it you would like to know?

I have heard that it follows the path of the golden flower so. Also, it said longevity and immortality but has this ever been proven or even spreaderd.

2 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Any chance this translation will be available to the public?

yes. one of this days i will quit being so lazy and put it on amazon. here is a bit for you:

My older brother’s first name is Zi-yuan, last name Kui-yi. From childhood he loved Dao. Our father’s name was Zhao Young-kuan, mother’s – Meng Sheng-zhen. The both parents used to say: ‘Zi loves Dao, he is the most virtuous of our Zhao clan’. When Zi was 10 years old we lost our father having two other brothers: the older one named Xing-yi, the younger Shun-yi. Our third brother Shun-yi got adopted by our father’s younger brother, Young-sheng. Mother Meng lovingly admonished the older brother, saying: ‘you loving Dao is not so good as first studying Confucian books. After mastering the Confucianism and the medicine then you can go visiting Taoists, it will not be late too’. Reaching his 18th year he was married, his wife Wang Yuang Qin-yi also loved Dao. From then on he would go out to visit Taoists sometimes coming home to see our mother once in 3 or 4 years, sometimes coming back home once in 4 or 5 years. Mother Meng asked: ‘you have been visiting Taoists for more than 30 years by now, what Dao did you learn’? Zi kneeling reported: ‘that of the teachers Tang Zhi-Ming of Jinshan sect; Gu Mao-chang of Longmen sect; Zhen-yuan of Lingji sect; Guang Si-ye of Limen sect. With more of 30 other gentlemen I have burned incense and knocked my head on the ground hoping to connect with the Western Heaven[1]; also I have printed books, released living beings, recited canons; I also learned a one word concentration, and making obeisance to Heaven; not mentioning other true instructions and methods. Also teacher Zhen-yuan gave me, the boy, practical exercises from Huimingjing[2] so by now I have completed a sharira[3]. Due to mother left in the house, now I, the boy, do not dare to go beyond the gate in order to travel carelessly and idly’. When our mother have passed away without an illness, after the funeral my brother left again never returning for 13 years on a stretch as of now.

[1]西天     西天       Xī tiān   the Western Paradise (Buddhism)

[2] The ‘Hui Ming Ching’ (The Book of Consciousness and Life) was written by Liu Huayang, a monk, in 1794. The text combines Buddhist and Daoist directions for meditation. It comprises of eight paragraphs of verses with explanations and drawings on how to attain Immortality or Buddhahood.

[3]舍利     舍利       shè lì      Buddhist relics (Sanskrit: sharira)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WitheringTree said:

I have heard that it follows the path of the golden flower so

no, its two different methodologies

2 hours ago, WitheringTree said:

it said longevity and immortality but has this ever been proven

depends what do you mean by proven and what kind of immortality. As to proven - there arestories, thats all. As to immortality - there is no immortality in the same old physical body.

3 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

As to immortality - there is no immortality in the same old physical body.

I was referring to leading on to the path of immortality not really in the physical sense like celestial immortal and such I know physical immortality would be more of throwing yourself into a robot and hoping you don't rust. :lol::lol:

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

no, its two different methodologies

Can u expand on this, because I was reading up on it here and it seems to be bunched together as one path slightly branched off at most still linked to the golden flower?

3 hours ago, WitheringTree said:

Can u expand on this

Sure. The GF text and the CY book share the same beginning technique: reverting the light 回光.

http://thesecretofthegoldenflower.com/index.html

However the GF is limited to that technique and contains nothing more. On the other hand the CY, after describing the technique goes on to the next level of the orbit, elixir, embryo and so on - which are the methods not contain in the GF.

Thats why i say the methodology of those books are different.

• Like 1

Nowadays people usually call Taoist exercises daoyin or qigong, it's just that in the past like in the 1970s no one knew what qigong was so they just called it "taoist yoga" cuz a few westerners such as hippies and the like were familiar with yoga.

Edited by Immortal4life