Asher Topaz

Please does anyone know a book or video that teaches scholarly/wisdom qigong or meditative techniques for boosting brain performance

SQUATS until you develop the legs of a competitive powerlifter.

That's how ungrounded you and the entire urban population of this planet is.

Note: I was like that too! 

My goodness I wish I had before and after photos to show you what I was before and what I have become now.

Hard work pays off!

Best time around 11pm when the GB meridian starts kicking in and also when the Lower Jiao channel is peaking. 

• Like 1

Twenty years of practice and fourteen of those dedicated exclusively to Ba Gua Quan + grounding work (squat + hiking in the mountains). 

Grounding improves everything, including stronger Spleen, Liver Yang rising no more, GB force descends rather than ascending as in most people, clears heat as a result, dispels dampness...and brings the Qi down.

It takes a lot of work, discipline and effort to attain this but the results are truly awakening. You will know why the schooling and the whole academic system is so destructive, especially to seekers born in Fire years and or born under a Fire sign.

Excessive thinking is one of the toughest hurdles to overcome.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 3:01 AM, Asher Topaz said:

Been trying to find a a qigong technique or meditation technique for boosting brain performance but cant find anything. 

How good are you at math or learning in general? I've been seeking for the same 15 years ago. Then I developed my own techniques based on concentration and various teachers. Below is my overview.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 4:44 AM, Gerard said:

Twenty years of practice and fourteen of those dedicated exclusively to Ba Gua Quan + grounding work (squat + hiking in the mountains). 

Grounding improves everything, including stronger Spleen, Liver Yang rising no more, GB force descends rather than ascending as in most people, clears heat as a result, dispels dampness...and brings the Qi down.

It takes a lot of work, discipline and effort to attain this but the results are truly awakening. You will know why the schooling and the whole academic system is so destructive, especially to seekers born in Fire years and or born under a Fire sign.

Excessive thinking is one of the toughest hurdles to overcome.

Thanks for this amazing info. Just wanted to ask does walking meditation also come under grounding exercises category? I have read in several books that you have to combine walking meditation with traditional sitting meditation to avoid burnout or more chi in head. Basically the instruction is 50% sitting meditation plus 50% walking meditation to balance the energies. I think If someone is already ungrounded then he should do only walking meditation and squatting. What are your thoughts?

Yes but the method is too slow, unfortunately. Focus exclusively on squats & walking meditation. Remain in low position as often as  you can and as long as you can.

asian-squat-1-750x393.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 5:01 PM, Asher Topaz said:

technique for boosting brain performance

There is a saying:  When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

In this context it may be worth recalling that people resuscitated from death (no electrical brain waves) often report what they were thinking and feeling when their brain had no function

And it is hard to remember dreams after being awake for a few minutes

Thus we can distinguish mind function from brain function and have three areas of interest:

- mind function (on mental plane)

- brain function (on physical/etheric plane)

- interface that connects the brain to mental energies.

All three need to be properly functional:

- Physical toxins can damage the brain.  Adverse entities can interfere with the brain 

- Physical and psychological shocks can dislodge the interface,  causing memory loss and dementia

- Mental function can be disturbed by training/beliefs and by adverse entities

The mind is not tied to this timeline and it needs a clean brain in which to anchor in a human body.

Karma is also common issue.

When I was young, I never met an old person with dementia.  Now they seem everywhere.  Similarly with autism.

Time to learn about the brain and the mind. 

Edited by Lairg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

Yes but the method is too slow, unfortunately. Focus exclusively on squats & walking meditation. Remain in low position as often as  you can and as long as you can.

asian-squat-1-750x393.jpg

You said the best time to practice is around 11 PM but most people have a hard time sleeping after doing intensive physical exercise i.e squats etc. What's the best day time to practice? I think morning 5 am to 7 am is also good. Any thoughts? 

I don't think good brain function is directly related to grounding. But sure, for some it will help.

However, focusing only on walking meditation and squats is in my opinion ridiculous advice (especially when saying it must be done after 11PM), unless perhaps if you wanna become a dinosaur.

More important for your question is the concept of the Yi (mental aspect of the mind), which needs to be functioning properly to have a quiet and effective mind.

So for the Yi, it is related to spleen/stomach which means first simple thing you can do is look at your diet. To much trash food -> bad spleen/stomach functioning -> ineffective Yi functioning.

Yi is also related to coordination. A well coordinated body requires a properly functioning Yi and doing stuff that requires coordination cultivates the Yi. Swimming is quite good for this and perhaps things like dancing or Taichi where you have to learn (complex) movement and choreography as well.

Yi is also related to the capacity of directing your attention to different parts of the body. So can be exercised by putting your awareness in for example your feet and perhaps even each separate toe, then going to your hands, feel each separate finger one by one, feel your skull, ... you get the idea. And of course, this can also be done during any qigong exercise.

Is just my understanding of how it all works ...

• Like 1

For low hanging fruit, I'd point you to Anna Wise's work in the The Higher Performing Mind.  Sadly she's passed away,  leaving much work on brain waves and how they affect clarity and healing.  She's got a book by that title and did a series of guided meditations that walk you through the different brain waves in a meditative state.  I find experiential beats book knowledge, though they compliment each other.

Here's a link to her series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kVQ8qnro6H0nQM5l6ErsmU3lywhOJniK0

The series also has a nice healing guided meditation- Healing Circle.  

Edited by thelerner

15 hours ago, awarenessrules said:

You said the best time to practice is around 11 PM but most people have a hard time sleeping after doing intensive physical exercise i.e squats etc. What's the best day time to practice? I think morning 5 am to 7 am is also good. Any thoughts? 

11pm is the golden time for sitting practice, not really for moving exercises, though some exercises are done prior to sleep, but not common.

You'll sleep like a baby when you practice an energy that has been rising for most of the day (Yang Wood ---> gallbladder organ). At 11pm it becomes active but it's also when the San Jiao peaks (the sum of various organs energies having a profound effect on overall health). 

I also drink a coffee during that time to help descending the gallbladder energy. 

Training the whole day and night is the ideal scenario but unfeasible for most. So try this in a retreat environment