Kojiro

The effects of full moon on your practice and energy levels

In Hinduism, there is a religious ritual of fasting on Ekadashi, which is the eleventh lunar day between the new moon and full moon. It is believed that if you fast on Ekadashi and then on Full Moon day, you will not have any illnesses.

Since around 60 per cent of the human body is composed of water, the moon is bound to have an effect on the body as it has on tides during full moon nights.

Fasting during this time is said to purify the body of accumulated toxins. This is also considered to be a good time for spiritual practices.

https://www.followingsrisri.org/2021/06/What-Is-Ekadashi-Fasting-Significance.html

No , the Moon does not :  " have an effect on the body as it has on tides during full moon nights.  "

A simple understanding of the gravitational forces involved  (as  in the example of tides ) is  a  'sideways' or 'stretching' effect on oceans and LARGE bodies of water , the water 'piles up'   sideways . Its a combination of  3 G forces; Sun , Moon and Earth.   That can not happen in a smaller or isolated body of water .

I'll give two examples ;

figure_showing_positions_sun_14732641288

The Solar and Lunar G forces  'oppose ' the terrestrial G force , here stronger around the  Equator and less ( more Terrestrial G force ) Terrestrial G force , 'draining' the water away from poles  and moving it to equatorial  regions .

OR

figure_showing_positions_sun_14732641311

Now the combined Solunar force is 'separated' and in a somewhat perpendicular 'opposition' .  The tidal bulge occurs in relation to  the  resultant  angular forces. 

and  ... do an internet search on it :

" No, and neither does the moon expand the water, the water being liquid follows the moons gravitational pull, the tides vary according to the moons orbit and the ...

https://www.quora.com/If-the-moon-can-control-the-tides-and-our-bodies-are-like-70-water-does-it-change-something-with-us

Human bodies are too small to experience much tidal effect from the Moon.

No, it doesn't specifically affect water. It pulls on matter, and the oceans deform to create tides simply because they are liquid and ...

https://theconversation.com/curious-kids-how-does-the-moon-being-so-far-away-affect-the-tides-on-earth-105371

Many people believe that the Moon's gravitational force also affects humans, as our bodies are made up of approximately 70% fluid. However, there is no ...

https://www.timeanddate.com › Sun & Moon › Moon

... and so on .

I had my new neighbours visiting  father at my place .  I gave him a cup of black tea, as preferred .

He is a very 'old school' old guy and confused about his daughters methods, the commune we live on  and 'this New Age stuff' .  :)

he looks in his tea cup ... " Got any more hot water ? "

Me:  " Why? Is it too strong ? "

Pop :  " No ..... its not full . "     

-     Okay, I didnt fill it right to the lip ... but , Pop ! This ain't a cafe ... where you are getting 'ripped off' 17 cents .      :D 

Me:  " But I thought you where a fisherman ? "

Pop;  "  .....    :huh:  ....   I am ... but what has that got to do it? "

Me; " Well then, you should know .... it's low tide . "

Pop; " What ? "

Me; " Low tide, look, over in the fish tank ...  even that is a bit low . "

He looked totally mystified .... suspicious ... then     "  You had me going there for a second . " 

( Okay , I will admit the surface of the water in the fish tank was a bit slanted  .... but that's because it always is ;  one of the  corner   cabin poles  is sinking into the ground . )

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

No , the Moon does not :  " have an effect on the body as it has on tides during full moon nights.  "

A simple understanding of the gravitational forces involved  (as  in the example of tides ) is  a  'sideways' or 'stretching' effect on oceans and LARGE bodies of water , the water 'piles up'   sideways . Its a combination of  3 G forces; Sun , Moon and Earth.   That can not happen in a smaller or isolated body of water .

There is still an effect on water, and this could be what Sri Sri Ravi Shankar have stated to explain this ancient tradition in Hinduism considering that the human body is largely water in mass.

Research is not generally conclusive of the effects of the moon  on the human body, but they have perceived changes in those with bipolar disorder, and in blood pressure, blood sugar rates and heart rates during different lunar phases. Humans were also found to be more efficient on full and new moons.

https://www.healthline.com/health/full-moon-effects#full-moon-and-cardiovascular-health

Scientific research have also observed a correlation between poor sleep and a full moon.

https://www.science.org/content/article/yes-you-can-blame-moon-bad-night-s-sleep

When the researchers investigated how sleep patterns changed during moon cycles, they found a striking association between poor sleep and lunar cycles. In the few days before and after a full moon, people took an average of 5 extra minutes to fall asleep, slept 20 minutes less per night, and had 30% less deep sleep, as measured by the EEG. Moreover, the volunteers recorded poorer sleep on a survey around the full moon, the scientists report online today in Current Biology.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Haha 1

On 27/07/2022 at 10:57 AM, Kojiro said:

Do you think that full moon has such an effect on human beings? Do you feel more energetic when you practice (or whatever you do) during full moon?

Energy rises and sinks according to the phase of the moon cycle

There is a reason people are often referred to as going crazy during the full moon...its also the origin of the word "lunatic" 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

There is still an effect on water, and this could be what Sri Sri Ravi Shankar have stated to explain this ancient tradition in Hinduism considering that the human body is largely water in mass.

Yes, Indian philosophy will still go against science in many cases .

That is why it is so curious !  very advanced in some areas ... like the science of the mind and its cosmological metaphors ... but still plagued by insistent, traditional and  rather bad science in many cases .

Research is not generally conclusive of the effects of the moon  on the human body, but they have perceived changes in those with bipolar disorder, and in blood pressure, blood sugar rates and heart rates during different lunar phases. Humans were also found to be more efficient on full and new moons.

https://www.healthline.com/health/full-moon-effects#full-moon-and-cardiovascular-health

Well, of course we are more efficient on full Moons !  You can see better at night !     :D  

Now, lets look at this reference you put up as  some evidence  :

" When the moon is full and bright, it may affect the quality of your sleep. "

Ummmmm ......     :rolleyes:

"  analyzed emergency room records at a 140-bed hospital and found that people visited the ER because of a psychiatric condition in roughly equal numbers during all four phases of the moon. "

" A 2019 reviewTrusted Source of nearly 18,000 medical records from different facilities found the same thing: no relationship between lunar cycles and the length of hospital stays or the number of inpatient admissions or discharges at psychiatric facilities"

Now , Ajay0 ... did you actually read this article or was it a quick google search you stuck u to try and prove something ? 

Now, let's go back to what I was saying   ( regardless of some peoples need to try and dispute it with unexamined references )

The cycles and phases of the Moon  effect us .... at its 4 stations ; 0 , 90, 180 &  270 o   in conjunction with those stations of the Sun . That is the Solunar rhythms .

Your article affirms this :  " The study showed that the circadian pacemaker (a small group of nerves) in these individuals became synchronized with lunar patterns. This caused changes in their sleep that then triggered a shift from depression symptoms to mania symptoms. "

Where is the stuff in your 'proof' here that the Moons gravity effects us like it does the tides becasue we are full of water ?

Any research offered in that article that specifically looks at phases alone ( that is not in relation to Moons position ) is qualified by :

" However, this finding conflicts somewhat with other research — including a 2020 studyTrusted Source on male athletes that found no significant difference in athletic performance during different lunar phases.

Another study in people with type 2 diabetes found that lunar cycles did not influence blood pressure."

" they found no association between lunar phases and the onset of menstrual cycles. "

"For decades — possibly even centuries — people have persisted in believing that there are more assaults, traumas, and suicides during full moon periods.

Numerous researchers have tackled these questions. They’ve reviewed records, conducted their own studies, and came to this conclusion: A full moon doesn’t cause an increase in these human behaviors.

In fact, one study found that during a full moon, incidence of homicide dropped slightly. Similarly, another study showedTrusted Source that there was no significant difference in admissions at a trauma center during a full moon."

DUDE !     You even missed this bit ... and it is a bolded heading !  :

An illusory correlation is a type of thinking error. It happensTrusted Source when you draw the wrong conclusion because you haven’t taken into account all the data — just some of it.

For example, if you visit a new city and have a few unpleasant encounters with locals, you might come away thinking that everyone from that city is rude. In coming to that conclusion, you’d be overlooking many positive or neutral interactions you had and focusing only on the negative ones.

Similarly, people may have noticed a behavioral episode or a traumatic incident and chalked it up to the full moon because they’ve heard myths about an association between the two."

Did you even read the articles summary  ????

" Because the moon’s cycles are known to influence natural phenomena like the tides, some cultures have developed a persistent — but mostly incorrect— belief that lunar phases also influence human emotions, behaviors, and health. "

Scientific research have also observed a correlation between poor sleep and a full moon.

https://www.science.org/content/article/yes-you-can-blame-moon-bad-night-s-sleep

I think you better start reading your own 'evidence' , that might work better than randomly hunting  topic titles and then posting a paper that you never read and realising it actually says what you are arguing against is right and you are wrong  .

AGAIN  with the 2nd article .   I already said the full Moon effects sleep , due to the extra light  plus 10s of 1000s of years conditioning , and this 2nd article affirs what I said :

" Because the subjects couldn't see the moon, increased light levels aren't producing the effect, at least not entirely. It's more likely influenced only in a small part by light or other external factors, and maintained through internal hormones, like people's 24-hour sleep-wake cycles, which persist even in the absence of light or darkness, Cajochen speculates. "In terms of the lunar cycle, light could be important to synchronize this biological clock with environmental stimuli," Cajochen says. "But the clock itself then continues on independent of light."

Are you even clear on what this discussion is about , or what you are arguing against ?

On 9/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, Nungali said:

Yes, Indian philosophy will still go against science in many cases .

That is why it is so curious !  very advanced in some areas ... like the science of the mind and its cosmological metaphors ... but still plagued by insistent, traditional and  rather bad science in many cases .

It should be understood that mathematics in its modern form had its origin in India.  Mathematics as in the numeral system, arithmetic and zero, trigonometry and decimal system,  which the world knows today was developed in ancient India. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_mathematics

The numeral system as well as zero were the philosophical conceptions of the Sankhya philosophy of sage Kapila and Shunyata philosophy of Buddha. Sankhya means number in sanskrit. The term zero is derived from sifr in Arabic which in turn is derived from the sanskrit Shunya meaning void.

Indian mathematics spread to the Arabs who in turn taught it to the Europeans who after centuries of opposition, finally discarded the cumbersome roman numeral system (which could not be used for advanced calculations) in favor of the Indian, a development which revolutionised modern science, technology and accounting.

Indian physics through mathematics was developed to the point that In the early part of sixth century A.D., Indian physicist Aryabhata calculated the sidereal rotation (the rotation of the earth referencing the fixed stars) as 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.1 seconds; the modern value is 23:56:4.091. Similarly, his value for the length of the sidereal year at 365 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes, and 30 seconds (365.25858 days)is an error of 3 minutes and 20 seconds over the length of a year (365.25636 days).

Indian mathematics reached Europe six centuries later after Aryabhata. So you can see from here that Indian philosophy has had a strategic and major influence in modern science as we see it now.

Science is not a holistic philosophy and results in only partial truths. It takes time and research to gather a holistic understanding.

For example,  chemical fertilizers and pesticides were considered to be useful and safe by scientists when they were introduced heavily in agriculture. Large spikes in cancer rates and death rates however disproved this illusion and resulted in the movement for organic and natural farming in the west.

Similarly when nuclear weapons were used and tested, there was not much understanding about its harmful effects. I have seen an old photograph of American soldiers  without protective clothing and even shirts watching a nuclear explosion with the resultant mushroom cloud at a distance which they unfortunately thought to be safe.

It was similarly when the adverse effects of exposure to nuclear radiation was understood that such practices hopefully came to an end. However by then a lot of damage had been done due to ignorance.

So science cannot result in a holistic understanding of the whole in the beginning itself. It has its own due process for that.

I had stated in my own post that research findings were inconclusive on this subject due to lack of sufficient research,  but the following correlations were noted between full moons and effects on the human system, which I had put over here.  There is no certainty even on the part of the scientists on the reasons for these correlations, and phrases like " It's more likely "  and "There does seem to be a link " are used.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1

yes, I should have listed 'mathematics'  as separate from the general 'other'  advancements made ie  " very advanced in some areas  " as it does stand above a lot of other advancements .

However , what I am saying about the Moon effecting us due to its position  around the Earth in conjunction with the Sun's position is not 'science'  ... and there is  " no certainty even on the part of the scientists on the reasons for these correlations "  either .... and neither do I understand them . They are part of true and tried old folk traditions used by farmers, hunters , fishermen .

Whereas the idea that a Moon phase  ( like full Moon )  effects behaviour was attempted to be proved, here,    by science  ... ie. the links that where put up ...  and these said that it is not a part of science ( and as you rightly added ) there is   " no certainty even on the part of the scientists on the reasons for these correlations" - as they dont see any correlations -   and also the evidence showed that there was not any correlation .

The phase influence idea is a 'folk' idea  too  but unlike the other ... there is no real evidence for it .  Except as I said ..... its lighter at night .   Evidence for the folk tradition of Solunar energies is everywhere eg. fishermen use them to catch fish  and have for a long time , this isnt a recent thing .

I am sure even Vedic science must know about it .

I can understand a scepticism or doubt about science .....  but the science was not put up by me and what science was put up disputed the idea it was supposed to be affirming .   Whereas what I am saying isnt  science but is demonstrated by it actually working - that is the fact that it used by farmers, fishermen, hunters, birdwatchers, etc   becasue  ......... the Moon and Sun position in relation to Earth is what drives or marks changes in behaviour .

and nowadays , the internet is full of them ;

https://solunarforecast.com/

after passing some of us go the way of the moon, continuing karma and reincarnation... and some of us go the way of the sun and attain freedom.

On 24/09/2022 at 11:03 PM, old3bob said:

after passing some of us go the way of the moon, continuing karma and reincarnation... and some of us go the way of the sun and attain freedom.

Interesting statement .

I have heard some Aboriginal people relate the Moon to 'reincarnation'    ( "coming back again " )  its part of 'spotted quoll dreaming ' (aka;  tiger quoll,  spotted-tail dasyure, native cat or the tiger cat,   : 

David-Gallan_Spotted-tailed-quoll.PNG

He told the other animals we do  not come back  , one of them insisted we do ,   as the Moon Man assured him we  come back .... like he does ( ie. The Moon's Phases ) *   Quoll lost the argument .

* Its interesting as both Sun and Moon relate to a return ; The Moon via phases, the Sun via both diurnal and seasonal cycles .

Do you have a source for this old3bob  or is it your own speculation  ?

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Interesting statement .

I have heard some Aboriginal people relate the Moon to 'reincarnation'    ( "coming back again " )  its part of 'spotted quoll dreaming ' (aka;  tiger quoll,  spotted-tail dasyure, native cat or the tiger cat,   : 

He told the other animals we do  not come back  , one of them insisted we do ,   as the Moon Man assured him we  come back .... like he does ( ie. The Moon's Phases ) *   Quoll lost the argument .

* Its interesting as both Sun and Moon relate to a return ; The Moon via phases, the Sun via both diurnal and seasonal cycles .

I might have bit of further, but broad interesting information on this topic for you...as I know you are interested in culture/religion

Drop me a PM...I cant post it here for certain reasons :) 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

Interesting statement .

Its an important  part of the teachings that can be found in Hinduism, along with parallels in other teachings.  For instance American Indians and their medicine people have multiple sayings about going with the the Sun,  with the Sun going in a clockwise direction which is followed in some of their ritual dances and btw. in another example for when erecting a tipi with its main rope where one walks clockwise.  Another convoluted example (imo) comes from  Mr. G. and Mr. O of the fourth-way who also got into this subject a lot!  My limited experience is that the power of the Solar force/Being can result in helping a soul overcome the gravity/karmas of the Earth system to where one can then travel across vast space which contains myriad stars!    

Nice forest picture of that Tiger cat.

Edited by old3bob

13 hours ago, old3bob said:

Its an important  part of the teachings that can be found in Hinduism, along with parallels in other teachings.  For instance American Indians and their medicine people have multiple sayings about going with the the Sun,  with the Sun going in a clockwise direction which is followed in some of their ritual dances and btw. in another example for when erecting a tipi with its main rope where one walks clockwise.

Yes, many things in pagansim  or Euro myth advise a sunwise (deosil)  direction . In  Wicca ( Lunar ) they often go  the other way ; 'widdershins'  which can be interpreted as a Lunar energy .

But down here its reversed  ;  Solar / deosil is  'anti-clock wise '

( and no clocks do not run backwards down here .... but we do have the 6 at the top of the dial  and the 12 at the bottom  ....

handy hint ;  if you come to visit though, you dont need a new watch , just turn your own one upside down and wear it on your right wrist    )

13 hours ago, old3bob said:

Another convoluted example (imo) comes from  Mr. G. and Mr. O of the fourth-way who also got into this subject a lot!  My limited experience is that the power of the Solar force/Being can result in helping a soul overcome the gravity/karmas of the Earth system to where one can then travel across vast space which contains myriad stars!    

Nice forest picture of that Tiger cat.

Thats what it looks like up the back of my place ... and across the road  over the river 

Never seen a live wild quoll though , you can hear them ; nasty, snarly, viscous,  sound  .

• Thanks 1

that's a good point/reminder about flipping things down under compared to northern latitudes!

there is also mystical meanings related to ancient (and not so ancient) clockwise and counterclockwise spirals, swastikas, etc... 

I don't know if this makes me a lunatic, but this weekend of full moon I have been emotionally disturbed. Saturday morning I felt angry and uncomfortable, while sunday morning I felt sad and melancholic. Though it may be due to the full moon or to some other cause, who the hell knows

• Like 1

I found this informative article on the full moon and its effects on the human system as well as spiritual practices...

https://www.thepranichealers.com/the-significance-of-full-moon

So the question is, what makes people have diverse experiences during the full moon? From insanity, violence, crime, and accidents to romance, spiritual experiences and illumination?

In fact, during full moon, everything will be magnified, good and bad. Therefore, full moon can be both viewed as a time of crisis as well as a time of opportunity. It depends on our overall state and activity during the full moon day to cultivate its positive or negative effects.

Spiritual practitioners in this case, use the magnifying effects of the full moon to deepen their spiritual practice and meditation and to be of greater help to humanity.

On the exact time of the full moon, as well as two days before and 2 days after, the effects are maximum.

Therefore, many practitioners worldwide try to stay away from sensual worldly life and focus their attention to spiritual development. Some further observe certain spiritual disciplines such as fasting to purify their vehicles and prepare themselves for the greater downpour of divine energies.

It is highly advisable thus, even if no spiritual practice is followed, to refrain from various commitments, stay calm and relax the mind during the full moon day to avoid possible emotional and mental fluctuations.

• Like 1

dam, that was a bad moon rising...

this guy didn't listen...

images.jpg.b22619f0147e127516a04f2d21941a7d.jpg

Edited by old3bob

On 9/22/2022 at 7:17 AM, Shadow_self said:

Energy rises and sinks according to the phase of the moon cycle

There is a reason people are often referred to as going crazy during the full moon...its also the origin of the word "lunatic" 

Yeah according to the only tradition I know a tiny bit about there's a direct effect (this diagram looks like a mess but notice the moons in their various phases directly outside his body)

xiuzhen-tu dvhd

• Like 1

In The lineage of yoga I have followed there is something called the 16 kalas or phases of the moon. On each day during the month the energy is in a different “adhara” of the body (big toe to top of head and back down again) and based on which area the moon energy is in, different practices are recommended to take full advantage of that energy. 
On full moon day the energy is in the Brahmarandhradhara (top-of-head)and it’s at its strongest. Because of this strong energy, caution is recommended on the full moon to avoid injury  (particularly physical practices). Whatever you do will have more juice behind it on full moon to the point you might not realize or be in a position to control its effects. Easy to get injured that day because of this. 

This topic is covered in the Siddha-Siddhanta_paddhati (Nath Yoga text that lists them and some very limited info for how to work with them). I think  It’s also referred to in Tirumantaram (without much detail ) as Chandra yoga. 

My knowledge on the Daoist side is more limited. Having said that I did once see a document from a Daoist source that showed the phases of the moon correlated with points on the ren and the du channels that seemed quite similar. In this version full moon was also at the top of the head. I thought that similarity (and some of the other points) was quite interesting.  

Just noticed it’s the same in the document Wilhelm posted above (assume the unshaded moon above the head is the full moon) The Daoist document I was referring to was not the same as posted above  but seems like the same idea. Sorry I missed it.

Edited by Sahaja
To connect better with earlier post
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

I found this informative article on the full moon and its effects on the human system as well as spiritual practices...

https://www.thepranichealers.com/the-significance-of-full-moon

" Informative "  ? 

So ... its  "  On the exact time of the full moon, as well as two days before and 2 days after"    :D 

....  I shall make a note that for four days each month I should  "  refrain from various commitments "   to ensure I do not experience   " insanity, violence, crime, and accidents to romance, spiritual experiences and illumination "  . I shall also beware of having good luck and  bad luck  ,  arguments and clear communication ,  sadness and laughter and war and peace .  I am advised to stay at home and travel, talk and be silent   and fast and feast .

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

Like I have said, many things in nature are regulated by the Moon's position relative to local environment ; 'Moonrise' , Moon 'overhead'  ( M. C. ) , Moon setting and Moon 'underoot'  ( I.C. ) -  I like the handy chart above but have always wanted a Moon clock that showed the positions ( eg. Moonrise would be the 9 o'clock position, MC at 12, Moonset at 3 and Moon's IC at 6 )  - it would only need one hand  on the clock . ... or maybe 2 , one for the Sun and one for the Moon. Then one could work the phases  tides out at a glance .

This one is close to the idea , but does not show Moons position ;

lkq1004-ls.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e518c6e6128b443c10566fb797b2f8a5bb45d2f1e0c9ffea252fd01c29fb442c&ipo=images

On 10/10/2022 at 1:54 PM, Kojiro said:

I don't know if this makes me a lunatic, but this weekend of full moon I have been emotionally disturbed. Saturday morning I felt angry and uncomfortable, while sunday morning I felt sad and melancholic. Though it may be due to the full moon or to some other cause, who the hell knows

This was my experience in last months full moon , Feb 4-5-6.

I keep a diary and decided to record anything of the unusual. Found that these days there was a certain pressure on my mind tending to agitation. 

I never gave much importance to the full moon period, other than taking time to  enjoy its beauty in the dark sky. Because of the experience and the data in this thread, I have decided to take it seriously for spiritual benefits if any.

This months full moon is on March 7 th, and I have decided to spend as much time on spiritual practices as possible on 6-7-8 March, or at least to maintain a calm and equanimous mind. which can then be maintained relatively easily the rest of the month.

• Like 1