Longhu

Becoming a Daoist in china

I have wanted to become a formal taoist for a very long time, I live in the US. I would prefer to find a teacher in the Quanzhen school, and spend some time as a monastic, however what's much more important to me is a finding a teacher of any school who can pass on the teachings. I was thinking Taiwan would be a better place to look because the mainland is quite closed off and xenophobic (according to my chinese friends, but id love to hear your guys' imput on whether the mainland could be a good option) so anyways, how can I get in contact with a real Daoshi in China (mainland or Taiwan) and learn. I understand to seek this out and move there, learn Chinese, learn everything required to become a daoist is a goal that would take years, if not decades, to do. I have seen people in this forum talk about their time as daoists in China, I know you are probably Chinese and don't know much about how this would play out for a foreigner, but your input (and any way to get in contact with a temple/monastery) would be much appreciated. Thank you 

Please watch this film to see for yourself what China has become and where it is heading too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(film)

1. My teacher who lived in Beijing to deepen his Xingyiquan skill and also learn Ba Gua Zhang from his teacher. One day he saw what he thought was a formal Taoist monk leaving the White Cloud Temple dressed up in casual clothing. He previously saw him inside performing Taoist ritual. He asked him why he was wearing urban wear and he said: Just finished work as I get paid by the Gov. to pose as a Taoist priest and going home with my family!

2. Alex Kozma’s personal account when he visited and lived in Wudang: it’s a circus, a market setup by the Gov. to lure foreigners in and sell them ‘fluff’ at a very expensive rate.

This is his response after sent him an email asking for advice about living in a monastery in mainland China.

My advice: you’ll better luck trying in Taiwan, a country which still preserves Traditional Chinese culture.

Good luck! 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Please watch this film to see for yourself what China has become and where it is heading too:

1. My teacher who lived in Beijing to deepen his Xingyiquan skill and also learn Ba Gua Zhang from his teacher. One day he saw what he thought was a formal Taoist monk leaving the White Cloud Temple dressed up in casual clothing. He previously saw him inside performing Taoist ritual. He asked him why he was wearing urban wear and he said: Just finished work as I get paid by the Gov. to pose as a Taoist priest and going home with my family!

2. Alex Kozma’z personal account when he visited and lived in Wudang: it’s a circus, a market setup by the Gov. to lure foreigners in and sell them ‘fluff’ at a very expensive rate.

This is his response after sent him an email asking for advice about living in a monastery in mainland China.

My advice: you’ll better luck trying in Taiwan, a country which still preserves Traditional Chinese culture.

Good luck! 

I think you're most likely right, china is by no means short on scandals, though I've also heard there's a lot of genuine monks too. I think taiwan is probably a better choice overall, I just don't know how I would get in contact with a temple/monastery over there, I know monasteries are quite rare.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

2. Alex Kozma’z personal account when he visited and lived in Wudang: it’s a circus, a market setup by the Gov. to lure foreigners in and sell them ‘fluff’ at a very expensive rate.

Good luck! 

A lot of temples are run/staff by professionals who are paid salary,  for both Taoist and Buddhist.  

If you are fluent in Mandarin, it shouldn’t be an issue. It will open many doors. 

There is a very peaceful and secluded Taoist monastery located in Ling Jiou Mountain, right below the Wu Sheng Buddhist Monastery, Fulong-Taiwan.

I visited both back in the mid-2000s.

But there are many others scattered across the island, 

Yeah learning mandarin is a must, only reason I've been practicing is cause I'm worrying about spending lots of time learning then not being able to find a teacher and/or monastery that I can learn from. Also, thank you so much for telling me about this. Is it a Quanzhen or Zhengyi monastery? Are there actual monks there or is it just temple volunteers?