Shadao

Am I being led towards a path?

Let me preface this by saying that I never felt any inclination whatsoever to be a doctor.Zero.Nada.Not even in dreams.

I don't even like much to interact with people, at all.

In this aspect I'm the stereotype of the introvert that prefers to be alone.

And yet...yet I realized now that for a while(the last three or four years?) I've kept thinking of "the healing arts"/medicine.

Once in a while I would talk(with my family) about learning more about anatomy to develop my massage skills, joke about learning acupuncture to "pin myself with the needles", try breathing techniques to lessen the pain, or as it happened today, search about therapeutic methods.

I was even taking notes about thermotherapy/heat therapy just right now.

Why?No idea.

I know next to nothing about how the body works or how ultrasound can be used to alleviate pain or reduce swelling.

I even enjoy reading the books/posts that talk about it(the art of healing or how the body heals itself, regeneration and etc.), but at the same time I feel no interest in being more proactive about it and maybe "use it to help others".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Am I somewhat being led towards a more "medically-inclined life"(for some odd reason), or is it all just in my head and I should stop trying to seek issues where there are none?

Edited by Shadao
  • Like 2

Western medicine is largely captured by the pharmaceutical and medical industries.

Western medical training is largely memory work.  It is ok as a starting point but not for everyone.

TCM is a good for many:  nurturing organs rather than fitting symptoms into theories

Then many illnesses arise from psychological and inner planes issues.  Skills in these require the practitioner to have quite a lot of spiritual unfoldment.

Environmental factors and lifestyles are major inputs to health problems

So wherever you go, you will probably need a qualification.  Choose an short one to start with to see if you like that area of practice.  Nursing is good - dealing directly with patients rather than through the veil of tests and theories 

western medicine is little more than a profitable business right now. If you want to learn how the body works or how it can heal itself you can read the hygienists, a very valuable western tradition that studied the body and how to cure it without pills. You can read Henry Lindlahr, John Tilden, Herbert Shelton, Russell Trall, etc. You can learn a lot with them.

12 hours ago, Shadao said:

Am I somewhat being led towards a more "medically-inclined life"(for some odd reason), or is it all just in my head and I should stop trying to seek issues where there are none?

You most likely are becoming more aware of your own body and energetic system. That's why you are feeling drawn to understand more, from a subconscious level. It's not a bad thing -- you can learn a lot about yourself by understanding the body and the mind and how the two interact and affect each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why do doctors become doctors? Many of them are drawn to it by the energy of Ming.

Ming is the energy of fate that sits in the background of our lives and affects our thoughts and actions in a way that leads us along our own path through life.

We can veer off this path a bit and go against the winds of fate. The most ideal is to find your optimal path. This is the smoothest path of Ming without many wrong turns essentially.

If you keep feeling drawn to healing, maybe it is the energy of your Ming trying to show you the path you should take. It is not in your head.

Synchronicities can occur. Odd coincidences. Recurring thoughts and interests. Why are people drawn to Daoism and to meditation? We have less free-will than we like to think. 

If someone is drawn to painting but has never picked up a brush, does it mean it is wrong to try? I think not. Just take the path you’re interested in and see where it leads. If you don’t like it, don’t be a healer!

Research Chinese medicine schools and join. Or not! Up to you at the end of the day. 

Edited by MetaDao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:16 AM, Shadao said:

I would look also to your heart, be open and patient.

Sit with the thoughts and feelings of what medicine and healing bring up for you and stay with it, quiet inside and alert.

So many different directions one can go.

Being motivated and skillful at helping people is a great blessing, the connections that are made as well as the merit and wisdom you gain over time - priceless. Also possible to succumb to the pressures in any number of ways.

Only you can know if it's worth it.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:24 AM, Lairg said:

TCM is a good for many:  nurturing organs rather than fitting symptoms into theories

I agree it is good for many and I think there is still a fitting of symptoms into theories, even in TCM and all other conceptual models. 

The only exception is resting in non-conceptual awareness which is, in my teacher's words, the true source of healing. 

I have a foot in each of two worlds - Eastern and Western - when it comes to medicine and healing. 

I feel there is great potential to do good in both and I do what I can to integrate the two in my practice.

• Like 1

Sometimes it is good to ask the intelligence of the physical body.

For example, if a remedy is indicated, visualize pushing that remedy towards the target body and see how the body reacts.

I use that for vitamin pills.  If the body shows it wants one, I take it.  Then touch the bottle again to see if the body wants another

These days my body goes several days without wanting vitamins

On 7/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, Shadao said:

Let me preface this by saying that I never felt any inclination whatsoever to be a doctor.Zero.Nada.Not even in dreams.

I don't even like much to interact with people, at all.

In this aspect I'm the stereotype of the introvert that prefers to be alone.

And yet...yet I realized now that for a while(the last three or four years?) I've kept thinking of "the healing arts"/medicine.

Once in a while I would talk(with my family) about learning more about anatomy to develop my massage skills, joke about learning acupuncture to "pin myself with the needles", try breathing techniques to lessen the pain, or as it happened today, search about therapeutic methods.

I was even taking notes about thermotherapy/heat therapy just right now.

Why?No idea.

I know next to nothing about how the body works or how ultrasound can be used to alleviate pain or reduce swelling.

I even enjoy reading the books/posts that talk about it(the art of healing or how the body heals itself, regeneration and etc.), but at the same time I feel no interest in being more proactive about it and maybe "use it to help others".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would suggest practicing some * and see how it makes you feel .  Some people get a great feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment from it . It could be a part of your life journey and purpose if you feel so attracted to it .

* of course, I dont mean illegally as a doctor , try a lesser role first before committing to long training - I did assistant nursing / orderly stuff for years , it is often VERY rewarding and positive , in the right circumstances .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1