Dear Dao Bums,

Qigong and astral travel... Let me ask you some questions :D

1) Have you astral travelled? If yes, could you elaborate how you got to be able to do that, as well as share some experiences 
2) Do you know any trustworthy stories (about friends, teachers etc) about astral travel? If so, please share :)
3) Do you know any qigong or meditation methods for astral travelling you could share?
4) Do you know any qigong or meditation teachers (trustworthy and authentic) who teach astral travel?

Let me share some of my own answers to the above questions :D 
a) I'll start with SKY (simplified kundalini yoga).
b ) After, I'll share about my sexual qigong and daoist lovemaking teacher.
c) Then, I'll share from my indian-village-mountain-cave-yogi guru, who has a student who has shared stories about "sukshma sharir ki yatra" (subtle body travel or subtle body pilgrimage).
d) Subsequently, I'll share the story of a white, atheist european boy, who accidentally got the power of astral travel through tibetan buddhist mandala visualisation meditation.
e) finally, I'll share a short story from a qigong master from Australia

SKY
In SKY (Simplified Kundalini Yoga), Vethathiri Maharishi (the guru and founder) was taught astral travel by one of his own gurus.

In the beginning of SKY, astral travel was taught as one of the meditations, freely available to everyone. Later, they changed it so only masters would learn it during the masters course. Latest... they completely stopped it. Therefore, alas, I have not been able to learn it yet..

However, I've heard face-to-face trustworthy accounts of high level teachers and masters in SKY, personally telling me about their experiences.

The method used is meditating on the navel chakra. After that, I don't know what the next step is (yet.. I hope to learn someday, somehow).

Other things they said: how they used to learn it. It would be on full moon morning. They would all have eaten a light dinner the night before, and meditated on the navel chakra before bed time. They would then meet at 4AM. They would all lie down with white sheets on top of them. Vethathiri would be seated, guiding it all. They would meditate on the navel chakra while lying down, and Vethathiri would use his yogic power to take them out of their body, one by one. Once all were out of the body, he would take them to the moon, all together. After returning to the meditation hall, he would stay there. He would then allow everyone to go and do what they want to try; e.g. visit their families, visit mountains or faraway lands, go on pilgrimages to temples etc. Lastly, he would put everyone back in their body.

They could then practice this meditation on full moon mornings back home, whenever they wanted. They should just follow the same instructions; light dinner the night before with navel chakra meditation before bed etc.

Sexual qigong and lovemaking teacher
He told me that the end goal of all daoism and qigong is astral travel. "The One" spoken about in alchemy is actually our spiritual fetus, spiritual body, whatever you want to call it. "Return to the One", "Merge three into One", "From spirit to the One", "Merge with the Emptiness and attain the One" etc.

He said the couple would do their qigong and meditation. They would then make sweet, sweet love. They would then leave their bodies. Once out of the body, they would use all the energy from the lovemaking to heal the physical bodies.

They would then travel to another planet in our Galaxy, the one from where qigong originates. Here you can be taught higher teachings and achieve higher levels of mastery than using the qigong physically available on Planet Earth. Teachings which have slowly been lost over time, since given to the Planet Earth by "the Gods".

Indian Village, another student of my guru

He got the siddhi of sukshma sharir ki yatra through the following steps:
1) attain mantra siddhi of a kavach mantra (tantric protection mantra)
2) tratak on the sun and moon to build the energy sufficiently strong
3) meditating on the navel chakra with neck lock until prana and apana merge, after which they rush up through the sushumna, naturally break your neck lock, and go to the crown chakra
4) the prana will then pulse in your crown chakra. You meditate on this pulse of energy for 60 minutes with no other thoughts in your mind
5) then you will feel your sukshma sharir leave your physical body (don't become shocked, then you will have to restart the 60 minutes)
6) after the first succesfull leaving out the crown, you can do it very quickly (because the path has been opened)
7) then you can lie down on the back more comfortably and simply leave out the crown
8) then you will see your physical body sitting or lying there, and you will see spirits around you, trying to mess with you, trying to get you to freak out. Don't let them distract you from your goal, remember that you have put the kavach and trust in it
9) go to your destination, do what you need to do, come back (just by thinking about your body, you automatically return instantly, no matter where you are or the distance)

He himself personally went to "Vaikunth", the planet or place where Lord Rama resides. He then did puja to Rama and Sita. Then he returned.

After this first journey, he would venture out and journey, doing pilgrimages or simply visiting interesting places, every night during his sleeping time.

White atheist boy
At one point in my life, I stayed 6 months in a Hindu Ashram in Europe. The resident indian swami told me the following story about this swiss boy, who came to ask for advice.

He was a white, swiss, atheist boy, who had never been interested in religion nor spirituality. In his 20s during his university education, a girlfriend of his convinced him to try to meditate, as a way to cope with stress. He agreed (I think he liked the girl ;))

He was taught a tibetan buddhist mandala visualisation. He would visualise the mandala in 4 steps: lower part of the mandala, middle part of the mandala, upper part of the mandala, the whole mandala together. If you lose the visualisation, you start over.

He actually felt some stress relief from this method, so he continued it all throughout university, and also after starting work. 

After 7 years, one day while meditating, he heard a huge pop. He opened his eyes and saw the wall moving towards him. He was very surprised. As he tried to move, he noticed it was actually him, flying towards the wall. He turned around, and shockingly saw his body sitting in the chair. He was out of his body!

He didn't know what to do, so he decided to go visit his dad back home in the countryside of Switzerland. He flew slowly all the way, following the roads and signs. He found his dad out in the garden, working. He tried to talk to him, but his dad didn't react. After some time, he flew all the way back, and went into his body again.

He called his dad and asked "dad, did you work on the kale in the garden around 3 o'clock this afternoon?", "Why, yes son, I did".

The swiss boy was shocked.

The leaving of the body would then happen every single time he meditated. As an atheist, he was so confused by this experience, that he stopped his meditation, and went on google to try and find some hindu or buddhist centers in his city. He found the ashram I would later live in for 6 months, and asked the resident swami to explain what was happening to him, how it was possible, and what he should do.

Qigong Master from Australia
He was born into a chinese qigong family. At 4 he was forced to do long standing. As a teenager, his teacher took him astral travelling. He took him all the way down to the "realms of hell", and all the way up to the highest levels of "divine realms" they could go to.

Conclusion
I have heard many bogus and untrustworthy accounts of astral travel in my life. However, the ones above, I can all vouch for. They were told to me by trustworthy friends, in a natural and unforced manner. There were no reason or anything to gain for them, cooking up these stories. It was simply a natural part of the conversations I shared with them during my time with them.

I consider them quite "juicy" and interesting :D

I hope to also learn astral travel someday ;)

Now please, what do you have to say about my 4 initial questions:
1) Have you astral travelled? If yes, could you elaborate how you got to be able to do that, as well as share some experiences 
2) Do you know any trustworthy stories (about friends, teachers etc) about astral travel? If so, please share :)
3) Do you know any qigong or meditation methods for astral travelling you could share?
4) Do you know any qigong or meditation teachers (trustworthy and authentic) who teach astral travel?

Edited by Nuralshamal

1. Yes but not something I can control. If happens sometimes. It’s a byproduct of practice and honestly it makes no difference of whatsoever when it comes to understanding what the Mind really is/what you really are deep down the rabbit hole.

3. Robert Bruce & Brian Mercer’s techniques discussed in “Mastering Astral Projection” are very good. 

Buddhist Vipassana in retreat doing NOTHING ELSE is another good method, follow teacher’s instructions strictly without being tempted to introduce other practices.

4 hours ago, zerostao said:

Once you’re able to astral travel, where will you go and what will you use it for?

You can:
1) go to the past (e.g. go to your past lives, understand your karma, make peace with it, and know how to deal with it in a better and more mature way)
2) go to the future (see what will happen, get advice what to do and what do avoid to do)
3) meet souls of a higher development, which can help and guide you
4) verify or disprove historical accounts (did what they wrote in the Bible really happen? or did they just make it up? Go back and see for your self. You become free, sovereign and independent of dogma, religion, group think etc, you can see for yourself. The Truth)
5) you can heal yourself and others in a more powerful way
6) explore the universe, the humanities on other planets and much more
7) Did you ever want to meet Jesus? Or Buddha? Or Rama? Simply go back and see them in action.
8) Lose all fear of death, the future and the unknown, you become completely  experientially grounded in the fact that you are an immortal soul, unborn and uncreated, everlasting, independent of the physical body. Not as a mental thought, theory or philosphy, but as a felt, experiential reality
9) Easily deal with any problems with black magic or dark spirits. Simply go and see what's going on and how to fix it, instead of relying on in-sincere psychics, clairvoyants, monks, swamis, magicians, gurus etc. Once again, you become free, independent and sovereign - autonomous.

10) Meet with your deceased loved ones, overcome grief and see them again

11) Get answers for all the things which has happened in your life, that you have not been able to get over. Now you can go and see why it happened, the karma etc. Then you can make peace with it and finally move on
12) Learn beneficial knowledge which has been lost on Planet Earth ; e.g. higher level astrology, qigong, meditation, cultivation, magic etc
13) After you've yourself learnt and benefitted from astral travel, and all the things you can do, you can also share what you've learnt for the benefit of others (friends, family, people who are suffering), including teaching them how to do it as well.

There are just so many possibilities :D

I think it's very alluring and sounds incredibly beneficial.

Edited by Nuralshamal
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I guess it's not strictly astral travel, but if you get a chance to read about the delog tradition in vajrayana it is both inspiring and a great spur for practice. 

This is well worth a read 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delog-Journey-Realms-Beyond-Death/dp/8177690930

I'm very interested in the tibetans, as I know they have many, very powerful practices (from the mix of Bön and Buddhism, and being a mountaineous place with many centuries of serious practitioners).

Also because of the story with the swiss boy :D he used tibetan practices.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out!

• Like 1

I am also interested in astral travel but I am somewhat afraid of entities that try to attack you. There are subliminals out there for astral travel but I haven't tried them. 

Did you find what tibetan mandala that swiss guy was meditating on?

@Learner

Protection
I think this is a very justified position!

I've heard many horror stories!

Both the Indian Village yogi, as well as SKY masters, both have emphasised the importance of proper protection while doing it.

Tibetan Mandala for Astral Travel
I've never been able to figure it out. I've tried for several years ;)

I even looked up all the tibetan buddhist centers in the city of Geneva online, went to their site, trying to figure out who was teaching mandala meditation, and which mandalas they were using.

But I don't know how many years ago the incident took place. The hindu monk had been there for about 20-30 years, so it's impossible to tell exactly which period this incident took place.

But I hereby officially invite everyone reading to join me on this mystery hunt!! :D  

If you know any teacher or any practice of astral travel, sukshma sharir ki yatra, mind travel, subtle body travel, any kind of name, please share it :D 

Edited by Nuralshamal
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2022 at 10:30 PM, Nuralshamal said:

Dear Dao Bums,

c) Then, I'll share from my indian-village-mountain-cave-yogi guru, who has a student who has shared stories about "sukshma sharir ki yatra" (subtle body travel or subtle body pilgrimage).
d) Subsequently, I'll share the story of a white, atheist european boy, who accidentally got the power of astral travel through tibetan buddhist mandala visualisation meditation.

SKY
In SKY (Simplified Kundalini Yoga), Vethathiri Maharishi (the guru and founder) was taught astral travel by one of his own gurus.

In the beginning of SKY, astral travel was taught as one of the meditations, freely available to everyone. Later, they changed it so only masters would learn it during the masters course. Latest... they completely stopped it. Therefore, alas, I have not been able to learn it yet..

However, I've heard face-to-face trustworthy accounts of high level teachers and masters in SKY, personally telling me about their experiences.

The method used is meditating on the navel chakra. After that, I don't know what the next step is (yet.. I hope to learn someday, somehow).

Other things they said: how they used to learn it. It would be on full moon morning. They would all have eaten a light dinner the night before, and meditated on the navel chakra before bed time. They would then meet at 4AM. They would all lie down with white sheets on top of them. Vethathiri would be seated, guiding it all. They would meditate on the navel chakra while lying down, and Vethathiri would use his yogic power to take them out of their body, one by one. Once all were out of the body, he would take them to the moon, all together. After returning to the meditation hall, he would stay there. He would then allow everyone to go and do what they want to try; e.g. visit their families, visit mountains or faraway lands, go on pilgrimages to temples etc. Lastly, he would put everyone back in their body.

They could then practice this meditation on full moon mornings back home, whenever they wanted. They should just follow the same instructions; light dinner the night before with navel chakra meditation before bed etc.

He told me that the end goal of all daoism and qigong is astral travel. "The One" spoken about in alchemy is actually our spiritual fetus, spiritual body, whatever you want to call it. "Return to the One", "Merge three into One", "From spirit to the One", "Merge with the Emptiness and attain the One" etc.

He said the couple would do their qigong and meditation. They would then make sweet, sweet love. They would then leave their bodies. Once out of the body, they would use all the energy from the lovemaking to heal the physical bodies.

They would then travel to another planet in our Galaxy, the one from where qigong originates. Here you can be taught higher teachings and achieve higher levels of mastery than using the qigong physically available on Planet Earth. Teachings which have slowly been lost over time, since given to the Planet Earth by "the Gods".

3) meditating on the navel chakra with neck lock until prana and apana merge, after which they rush up through the sushumna, naturally break your neck lock, and go to the crown chakra
4) the prana will then pulse in your crown chakra. You meditate on this pulse of energy for 60 minutes with no other thoughts in your mind
5) then you will feel your sukshma sharir leave your physical body (don't become shocked, then you will have to restart the 60 minutes)
6) after the first succesfull leaving out the crown, you can do it very quickly (because the path has been opened)
7) then you can lie down on the back more comfortably and simply leave out the crown
8) then you will see your physical body sitting or lying there, and you will see spirits around you, trying to mess with you, trying to get you to freak out. Don't let them distract you from your goal, remember that you have put the kavach and trust in it
9) go to your destination, do what you need to do, come back (just by thinking about your body, you automatically return instantly, no matter where you are or the distance)

He himself personally went to "Vaikunth", the planet or place where Lord Rama resides. He then did puja to Rama and Sita. Then he returned.

After this first journey, he would venture out and journey, doing pilgrimages or simply visiting interesting places, every night during his sleeping time.

White atheist boy
At one point in my life, I stayed 6 months in a Hindu Ashram in Europe. The resident indian swami told me the following story about this swiss boy, who came to ask for advice.

He was a white, swiss, atheist boy, who had never been interested in religion nor spirituality. In his 20s during his university education, a girlfriend of his convinced him to try to meditate, as a way to cope with stress. He agreed (I think he liked the girl ;))

He was taught a tibetan buddhist mandala visualisation. He would visualise the mandala in 4 steps: lower part of the mandala, middle part of the mandala, upper part of the mandala, the whole mandala together. If you lose the visualisation, you start over.

He actually felt some stress relief from this method, so he continued it all throughout university, and also after starting work. 

After 7 years, one day while meditating, he heard a huge pop. He opened his eyes and saw the wall moving towards him. He was very surprised. As he tried to move, he noticed it was actually him, flying towards the wall. He turned around, and shockingly saw his body sitting in the chair. He was out of his body!

He didn't know what to do, so he decided to go visit his dad back home in the countryside of Switzerland. He flew slowly all the way, following the roads and signs. He found his dad out in the garden, working. He tried to talk to him, but his dad didn't react. After some time, he flew all the way back, and went into his body again.

He called his dad and asked "dad, did you work on the kale in the garden around 3 o'clock this afternoon?", "Why, yes son, I did".

The leaving of the body would then happen every single time he meditated. As an atheist, he was so confused by this experience, that he stopped his meditation, and went on google to try and find some hindu or buddhist centers in his city. He found the ashram I would later live in for 6 months, and asked the resident swami to explain what was happening to him, how it was possible, and what he should do.

He was born into a chinese qigong family. At 4 he was forced to do long standing. As a teenager, his teacher took him astral travelling. He took him all the way down to the "realms of hell", and all the way up to the highest levels of "divine realms" they could go to.

Conclusion
I have heard many bogus and untrustworthy accounts of astral travel in my life. However, the ones above, I can all vouch for. They were told to me by trustworthy friends, in a natural and unforced manner. There were no reason or anything to gain for them, cooking up these stories. It was simply a natural part of the conversations I shared with them during my time with them.

My friends! A small update :D

I gave the mystery hunt for the astral travel mandala from Geneva a go again.. I came to some french sites.

I found a very old lama, which supposedly has spread buddhism in Geneva for many decades, establishing the centre there.

This makes it possible that he could have been around at the same time as the hindu monk and the story of the swiss boy.

Furthermore, his strand of buddhism heavily employs mandalas :D

It's not a 100% closed case, more like 20-40% of the facts fit the story, but it's worth a shot ;)

The lama is: Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche (as you can see, he's very elderly)
Founder - Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre
Among other things, they heavily employ the "Herukas Body Mandala". The mandala fits the meditation technique described about meditating on the lower part, middle part, upper part and all together. Because when you see the mandala, it clearly has 3 sections:

Heruka Body Mandala

I will investigate further, buy some of their books and check things out ;)

Feel free to join in on this exciting investigation :D

Edited by Nuralshamal
  • Like 2

Dear friends,

I've managed to obtain a tiny bit more information about the astral travel method of Vethathiri Maharishi (founder of Simplified Kundalini Yoga, known as SKY). Yet I haven't managed to learn it in person yet, so there might be lacking some information. Here are the hints and clues I've obtained:

1) You should have completed all levels of SKY (including brahma gyana, 9 center meditation, lamp & mirror gazing), so you have sufficient power and energy in your body, and have purified your mind and energy as much as possible
2) On the evening before full moon day, have a light dinner and meditate on your navel chakra
3) On the early morning of full moon day (4-6 in the morning), you should lie down flat in shavasana (flat on your back)
4) You should meditate on your navel chakra
5) You should visualise Vethathiri Maharishi grabbing your hand and pulling you up slowly 
6) You should visualise this, until you detach from your body and actually hover above it
7) Look back at it, and realize you're out from your body, and that you are an immortal soul
8) Go about your astral journey
9) Come back to your body, reconnect and finish the meditation<

If any of you have any information about genuine and authentic teachers, teaching effective and safe methods for astral travel, please share them with me :D

I'm still researching and searching for a teacher to help guide me in astral travel :)

• Like 2

@Vajra Fist

Thanks for the heads up!

I just read through the article.

I too have seen this tendency (personality cult, politics, clique-like social dynamics, sectarianism and "we-are-the-chosen-ones") in every single organised spiritual/religious gathering I've ever been involved with. It's simply a matter of degree (from a tiny bit, all the way to the violent extreme).

It disappoints me every time. But I myself try to stay clear of it, think independently, and take what is useful and leave the rest ;)

However, there are often times still solid techniques and methods in many of these traditions, so it takes some skill to balance :D between the political BS and sectarianism and learning beneficial techniques for benefitting oneself, one's family, one's community, and in the end all living beings :D

May we all steer clear of group-think and mass-suggestion, and instead think independently and be a blessing to all living beings!

Be blessed by the Divine :)

• Like 1

Hi, in reply to the question about astral travel, I don't have lots of experience but I do have some.

I learned to access what I thought of at the time as "the jumping off point". Essentially this is a state, where one is physically asleep but spiritually awake.  Getting to the jumping off point is something that could just happen to me when I lay down to sleep after a while, whereas actual "Astral Traveling", (what you do after you reach the jumping off point) is pretty hard.

Firstly, I will say that an empty stomach is a necessity.  Don't eat the same day you intend to practice after noon if you plan to do the actual practice at night. I used to fast for a day or so to begin with.

You said that in your school they concentrate on the belly as a first step.  I don't think it necessarily matters what concentration object you use but the belly is ideal as it isn't a small enough area to encourage the energy to rise too much and keeping the practitioner in the awake state.  Essentially all I used to do was concentrate on the physical path of the breath, while lying down, get myself to a certain level of samadhi and then let myself fall asleep whilst maintaining samadhi.  As long as you get it right you end up at the jumping off point, characterised by body-paralysis and sensory withdrawal (I guess it's Pratyahara but asleep?  Idk) BUT with the spiritual body entirely awake.  It can be confusing at first because it can seem like you have physical eyes and body but actually these are switched off and if you try to use them you can't. 

Anyway, from here you can astral travel.  To do that you need to be able to keep your level of concentrative absorption high and to be able to direct your energy body to move, which involves directing energy.  If you can't concentrate you'll just end up lucid dreaming, normal dreaming, and/then/or asleep. I should stress this again.  If you can't keep your concentration high, all the time you are in the Astral realm, you will just fall out of it and send up in a lower vibration experience.  The higher the level of samadhi/concentrative absorption, the higher the level of interconnectedness with other beings, the more 'real' the experience becomes, the more interested and interesting encounters you are likely to have.

If you can't direct the energetic body, it really is a case of bumping into things for a while. I never got past this stage really, except on the odd occasion but I did learn to not try and use the physical senses to move around or sense the environment.  Concentration becomes the eyes, intention becomes the feet.  I'm just guessing that the chakras probably act as extra senses/limbs in this realm if you have opened and activated them.

It also requires equanimity to undertake this practice, something I found I did not have enough off.  The experience of being in the astral reason can be strongly dysphoric for ill-prepared adventurers like myself. Definitely above my level then and now but would love to understand more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Astral travel, or going out of the body, is an essential part of the core skill set of an Adept in Magic tradition.

Magus spend decades and centuries exploring other worlds, researching beings of other worlds, and accumulating experience, wisdom, and power.

The astral plane, in the western esoteric tradition, is the plane of glamour - while the (lower) mental plane is the plane of illusion.

Thus the magus wishes to rise above both

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:45 AM, Lairg said:

Thus the magus wishes to rise above both

You don't rise above something without going through it first.

I.e., you could try to skip the education process and go to work, but that will be an unhealthy approach. Patients of a neurosurgeon who missed all classes won't be delighted.

Without building up all the right qualities on the astral plane, going further to higher realms is either suicide or naive foolery.

Edited by Neirong
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neirong said:

You don't rise above something without going through it first.

Why not go through the process for people....

Seeing as you mention its a core skill of a magus...You must be very familiar with the mechanics?

What are the conditions needed for it to arise?

What are the somatic feelings one experiences?

How can you tell the difference between an actual conscious separation vs a lucid dream?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, Nuralshamal said:

Dear Dao Bums,

SKY

White atheist boy

Conclusion

On 7/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, Nuralshamal said:

Dear Dao Bums,

SKY

White atheist boy

Conclusion

The bed chamber is not sexual it is the point of yin and yang giving birth to your higher self. Astral projecting is nobody's goal only side effect or an obstruction of being a better person. 

In the blink of an eye we travel between dream and reality they are not separate. what sounds lofty and spiritual is only superficial misunderstanding.   

The third party has so much experience but it is not your own. Only you can travel and pass the heavenly gates. All else is fake and make-believe. Astral projecting is a worthless ambition, intention, want, need, desire that will take you far from the bullseye. Do not seek the far from the near there is a lot of work to be done.

Be more interested in small gains and accumulate the wealth. Why spend any wealth of energy that leads to an imaginary space. Just saying not worth it.   

Know the target before shooting your load. Know what is around, above,  below and behind what you are seeking. There is nothing to seek that is the mistake. If you are seeking it is an endless battle that can not be won. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadow_self said:

Seeing as you mention its a core skill of a magus...You must be very familiar with the mechanics?

These guys get all shy when anyone asks for details :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, freeform said:

These guys get all shy when anyone asks for details :) 

I've noticed...strange situation. Hopefully they can speak up in this thread :) 

Still waiting on the ZZ mechanics  from the other thread  though :D 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Still waiting on the ZZ mechanics  from the other thread  though :D

Haha - I’m not holding my breath for that one :) 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, freeform said:

Haha - I’m not holding my breath for that one :) 

Yes I agree, contrived breathing wont help in this case

Try this instead

e0739d766cd406d8b0e539bb619915ee.jpg

Surely this will work :D 

• Haha 1