Sign in to follow this  
Eden

How Much Can DT Store

Is there a limit to how much Chi you can compress into the lower dan tian? An example: I am experiencing some free floating anxiety from doing some mantra or asana work, like too much energy in the system and its causing some fear or anxiety. I can compress the energy into the DT, sort of stabilize it there into a chi ball... Im just curious if there a limit to how much you can store there, and what the best way would be to lock in place there so it doesnt come back up to the head to create anxiety. Thank you

4 hours ago, Eden said:

Is there a limit to how much Chi you can compress into the lower dan tian?

The body is an illusion, energy and its storing are illusions, and the act of "compression" doesn't mean anything else except giving apparent solidity for the mind's desire to have some squishy and graspable sensations.

Energy "compression" almost certainly is a deviant way to practice because you are only playing with sensations.

The authentic goal of internal skills is to access a level of inner peace where your conceptual or thinking mind stops messing with the body-mind's natural capacity to retain a stable view of non-action: You simply stop playing around with your mind.

This might sound a bit technical, so I would ask that you please read it a few times with the Daoist and Buddhist philosophy of non-action in your mind. It's an important lesson.

An example: I am experiencing some free floating anxiety from doing some mantra or asana work, like too much energy in the system and its causing some fear or anxiety.

Any anxiety would be the surfacing of your own pre-existing condition(s).

My advice would be to stop forcing yourself and seek a knowing teacher to help you process your existing issues first.

By the way, do you even have a (good) teacher already? Self-initiation can be a painful road with its trials and errors process, and asking the Internet for advice is another unwise thing to do.

But to each his or her own! Maybe I'm already giving plenty of ignorant advice here. If you receive more responses that give contradictory advice, then it could increase your anxiety and confusion. That's what self-initiation and practicing without good and knowledgeable teachers gives: you truly remain on your own.

I can compress the energy into the DT, sort of stabilize it there into a chi ball... Im just curious if there a limit to how much you can store there, and what the best way would be to lock in place there so it doesnt come back up to the head to create anxiety.

What you are experiencing and fearing would be the results of continued forcing and grasping, not correct mind training. If you overstimulate the mind or agitate the heart, then it easily leads to sensations rushing up to head.

Edited by senseless virtue
Grammar
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Eden said:

Is there a limit to how much Chi you can compress into the lower dan tian? An example: I am experiencing some free floating anxiety from doing some mantra or asana work, like too much energy in the system and its causing some fear or anxiety. I can compress the energy into the DT, sort of stabilize it there into a chi ball... Im just curious if there a limit to how much you can store there, and what the best way would be to lock in place there so it doesnt come back up to the head to create anxiety. Thank you

My view on QiGong is one in which Qi is a real thing. A substance on the body. So, yes, there is a limit. It increases with time and practice, and it can quite easily be felt once you feel the literal sensation of having a full DT. If you try to put any more in there, you'll feel pain.

That being said, I wouldn't go and just compress any kind of Qi into my DT. The best method to avoid getting anxiety if the Qi in your abdomen "escapes" is to store the right kind of Qi (either Yuan Qi or at least Zheng Qi).

I know that most schools teach people to store any form of Yang Qi, but that's... quite unbalanced. If you store healthy and refined Qi which has gone through multiple purifications, it will be a blessing for it to "escape"... because it will calm you down, bring well-being and balance for your body, mind and souls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eden said:

You must build a LDT before you can store Qi in it..though I would imagine "reconsolidate" would be a better term than build

Dont try to force anything unless you want to mess yourself up pretty bad

The reason we start from the Lower Dantian is because it is a  place where people can initialize qi  relatively easy . Why ?  Simply due to the reason that all  qi , say those running in our organs and meridians , or  the qi over our skin surface ,  come from it  . You can start from the head , or some place outside of the body , even from nowhere ,  but it likely be very difficult to give you  some feeling of qi there .

Secondly  it is the  likely place where the internal and external qi get linkage  via the embryonic breathing . Note that our  abdomen  is a small place, no matter how hard we try , we cannot accumulate much there . The attention, on the contrary , should be on how to access the immense,  limitless qi  outside , rather than entangled by this body . So  DT's   significance is more a place of  transition  ,  than a place of  stock .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this