Sign in to follow this  
TomBrad

Criteria for identifying which Qigong systems don't mix

Hi, I've learned that certain forms of Qigong rule out the practice of other forms.   E.g. a Buddhist Qigong form can't be practiced if one is practising a particular Daoist form.

Does anyone know why this is?  Do certain Qigong forms rule out being able to practice methods from other systems, e.g. The Middle Pillar, or Franz Bardon's exercises in Initiation Into Hermetics?  Thanks

No, because a neigong system I know of is comprised of both Buddhist and Daoist teachings.

There is no general rule about what can or can't be practiced.

Normally, you'd ask your teacher if something else you are doing is incompatible--nothing to do with metaphysical views, be they Daoism or Buddhism. It differs based on the specific practice and what you are comparing it to, not the dogma, e.g. Fragrant versus Flying Phoenix.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

Thanks, I'll check with my teacher.  You mentioned Fragrant Qigong vs Flying Qigong - are they systems that can't be practised together?

39 minutes ago, TomBrad said:

Thanks, I'll check with my teacher.  You mentioned Fragrant Qigong vs Flying Qigong - are they systems that can't be practised together?

Practicing Fragrant forbids you from heavy mental visualization meditations and abstract breathing--which the breath control sequence in FP would fall under.

Fragrant is not ideal for hard martial arts, and FP can enhance your martial practice, but not immediately after as it's a purely healing practice.

• Like 3

Sometimes, even Qigong within the system cannot be practiced together.  It depends on the objectives but also current body conditions.   This is a very complicated question that only your teachers or peers can answer.

• Like 1

Thanks, the best I can do in that case is to have a clear idea of which systems I'm interested in and check with my teacher about them.

4 hours ago, TomBrad said:

Thanks, the best I can do in that case is to have a clear idea of which systems I'm interested in and check with my teacher about them.

Best thing you can do is trust your teacher over internet strangers (although @Earl Grey and @Master Logray are very knowledgeable) your teacher will know best of what you can and can’t do with your current practice.

What are you currently doing by the way?

My current practices are Zhan Zhuang (Master Lam Kam Chuen), Stillness Movement meditation (Master Michael Lomax), and Relaxation Qigong (Master John Dolic).

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 3:56 PM, TomBrad said:

Hi, I've learned that certain forms of Qigong rule out the practice of other forms.   E.g. a Buddhist Qigong form can't be practiced if one is practising a particular Daoist form.

Does anyone know why this is?  Do certain Qigong forms rule out being able to practice methods from other systems, e.g. The Middle Pillar, or Franz Bardon's exercises in Initiation Into Hermetics?  Thanks

Books you might consider The Root of Chinese Qigong by Yang Jwing Ming

&

Qigong Empowerment by Shou Yu Liang

or you could take the advice of online folks on forums you know nothing about,

or take advice from fifty cent hustlers,

lots of possibilities, really

i would ask Lomax

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

Books you might consider The Root of Chinese Qigong by Yang Jwing Ming

&

Qigong Empowerment by Shou Yu Liang

or you could take the advice of online folks on forums you know nothing about,

or take advice from fifty cent hustlers,

lots of possibilities, really

i would ask Lomax

Good recommendation about Lomax.  I hope he does another seminar in the UK, the one I attended in London was excellent. 

I have both the books you mention, the Qigong Empowerment book is especially good, particularly the Emitting and Absorbing Chi section.  The exercises to absorb Chi at the start of that section are really interesting. 

Yang Jwing Ming has a new book out about Grand Circulation of Chi that I mean to read.  Another book I've found recently is Boddhisattva Qigong, which is available as an unpublished draft pdf on William Bodri's website meditationexpert.com

• Like 1

As long as practices that you are doing based on  jing , qi and shen ,  then they can be mixed provided that you know the basic knowledge of TCM  and do it  naturally ( it means you follow  qi's rules  , not  your own  expectations  visualization  or focus ) .

You can do  still qigong(靜功)  with active qigong( 動功) , medical qigong with alchemical  dan ,  sitting with sleeping gong, martial arts with emptied mind stuff..etc . In addition,  different TCM means , say sticking a  jing- enhancing herbal plaster  to your waist, drinking a herbal formula of Gancao mixed with Ginseng or pressing certain acupuncture points  ,  can be supplements to your qigong practices  because  they are just different means and ways  to tune , enhance  qi, jing and shen.

Even Buddhist cultivation , which is  mainly  no-Mind centered , can be mixed with Taoist practice for , from Taoist perspective ,  they are just those ways started  from the shen's level ,  look seemingly capable of skipping the mechanisms of  jing and qi  ,  in fact unlikely .

Edited by exorcist_1699

On 6/26/2022 at 10:56 PM, TomBrad said:

I pretty much went from start to finish with Initiation Into Hermetics, and I can definitely say most forms of Qigong if not all of them will supplement it, and vice versa. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/07/2022 at 10:58 AM, Vandheer said:

I pretty much went from start to finish with Initiation Into Hermetics, and I can definitely say most forms of Qigong if not all of them will supplement it, and vice versa. 

Thanks, that's good to know.

Sign in to follow this