Sign in to follow this  
Asher Topaz

What is the Daoist technique for the siddhi of super memory and intelligence

I have been studying about human intelligence for a while and ironically its what led me to spirituality. I realized at some point it wasnt just about the brain. After studying buddhist and yogi techniques I came across certain methods. In shigon buddhism there is a mantra that Jkukai used to get supernormal memory and learning. In hinduism they use the mantra of saraswati to increase intelligence and memory. In patanjalis yoga they say samayama(dharana,dhyana,samadhi) on any object can grant u siddhis based on the object. However I dont know what object they use for supernormal memory and learning. Now I was wondering what will be the daoist method. Reason why I am curious about the daoist method is because Daoists are very logical and hyper efficient in creating their techniques that their methods are one of if not the fastest amongst all cultivation cultures. The reason why I want the siddhi of supernormal memory and learning is that I noticed that in the past this particular ability was very important to cultivators and their students. It seemed to help them see through the veil of what they were being taught and obey the instructions given correctly. Today most of us are of average intelligence which makes it tough for us to understand the instructions. Also imagine if u could learn languages like pali,sanskrit and mandarin quickly so u could read classics and original documents. 

• Like 2

Based on what I have read and learnt , I think these tips maybe helpful...

Swami Vivekananda had an excellent memory which enabled him to memorize entire books word for word. He attributed his practice of celibacy and meditation for it.

Aurobindo states about developing a phenomenal memory after practice of pranayama for a period of time, which similarly enabled him to memorize a lot of content very easily.

Mata Amritanandamayi in her books had stated that a relaxed mind is a sponge in terms of memory and it becomes very easy to memorize with such a mind. A peaceful and tension-free environment at home is considered to be ideal for creating such a relaxed mind, and she attributed the memorizing of entire scriptures by children to such an environment. As per her, a tense mind restricts the memorizing potential.

Cultivating an interest in the subject matter is essential for retainment, and an enlightened master attributed Krishna's vast memory in various matters to his interest in them.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 2

A basic but essential consideration is to ensure vertebral subluxations are in their correct state to optimize blood flow to the brain. There are yogas for this, but I know of yoga teachers and even advanced spiritual practitioners who maintain regular visits to chiropractors as enhanced support for that purpose. This will complement your eventual adoption of whichever siddhi techniques found. Its still very helpful as a stand alone though. 

Edited by C T
corrected spacing
  • Like 1

I'd love to be able to say that there are evidences for a meditation technique that actually improves memory. Specifically in a daoist context, one may hope for a concentration practice on some parts of the body (chakras, dantien, spinning energies here and there) that somehow gifts the practitioners with extraordinary memory. 

Unfortunately, there's not such a thing because the only way to strengthen a function of the brain is to exercise it: concentration practices don't improve memory, but memorization does. 

So, the only method that I'm aware of is to pick a book and start to read & repeat pages day after day, until you can do it extraordinarily well and fast. To exercise a function of the brain is to strengthen it over time. 

A small help in the process may come from practicing rhythmic thinking with a mantra like Manjushri's. 

• Like 1

For memory I was taught by a Taoist priest that when you lay in bed before sleep to memorize what you did during the day backwards starting at the moment of night back to the morning and rising.

This lays a foundation that can be applied to ones intention of using memory as a tool.

11 hours ago, Asher Topaz said:

I have been studying about human intelligence for a while and ironically its what led me to spirituality. I realized at some point it wasnt just about the brain. After studying buddhist and yogi techniques I came across certain methods. In shigon buddhism there is a mantra that Jkukai used to get supernormal memory and learning. In hinduism they use the mantra of saraswati to increase intelligence and memory. In patanjalis yoga they say samayama(dharana,dhyana,samadhi) on any object can grant u siddhis based on the object. However I dont know what object they use for supernormal memory and learning. Now I was wondering what will be the daoist method. Reason why I am curious about the daoist method is because Daoists are very logical and hyper efficient in creating their techniques that their methods are one of if not the fastest amongst all cultivation cultures. The reason why I want the siddhi of supernormal memory and learning is that I noticed that in the past this particular ability was very important to cultivators and their students. It seemed to help them see through the veil of what they were being taught and obey the instructions given correctly. Today most of us are of average intelligence which makes it tough for us to understand the instructions. Also imagine if u could learn languages like pali,sanskrit and mandarin quickly so u could read classics and original documents. 

The Chinese don't need that for memory.  They recite everything.  Schools are mostly role learning.  Hardworking students memorize English dictionary word by word.   

As to Taoist and memory, there are 2 interesting things worth mentioning.  Firstly, Taoist philosophy prefers a person to banish reasoning and smartness.  Under this context, they didn't develop memory aid like memory palace or practices for super intelligence.

When a Neidan, or other Kung fu masters, want to impart secret skill to selected student, it is often done in utmost secrecy.  Students are given the few lines of texts to be memorized immediately, not written down in any case, and often not explained at all.  So I figure they are having good memory in the first place.

15 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

For memory I was taught by a Taoist priest that when you lay in bed before sleep to memorize what you did during the day backwards starting at the moment of night back to the morning and rising.

This lays a foundation that can be applied to ones intention of using memory as a tool.

I've heard of methods like this - there was a discussion here of Wang Liping teaching something like this. I searched for it, but couldn't find it.

But these methods go hand in hand with the main line of Daoist alchemy, in which you nourish and refine jing, qi, and shen. This gives the raw fuel needed to take such mental exercises to their highest level.

Sign in to follow this