I read that in the past something happened in china that caused the best martial arts masters to immigrate to other countries such as Indonesia so does anyone have anymore information about this and if you do please share it 

On 21/06/2022 at 8:02 PM, Ethan singh said:

I read that in the past something happened in china that caused the best martial arts masters to immigrate to other countries such as Indonesia so does anyone have anymore information about this and if you do please share it 

The thing that happened in China was the Communist Revolution which brought the Chinese Communist Party to power in 1949. After this came the Cultural Revolution, during which all that was best in the old China was brutaly supressed. This included Taoism and Buddhism and all that went along with it such as martial arts, health cultivation and philosophy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bull said:

The thing that happened in China was the Communist Revolution which brought the Chinese Communist Party to power in 1949. After this came the Cultural Revolution, during which all that was best in the old China was brutaly supressed. This included Taoism and Buddhism and all that went along with it such as martial arts, health cultivation and philosophy.

This step away from cultural traditions in China was preceded by the boxer rebellion,  nicely framed at the beginning of this video by Scott Park Phillips,  who has written fine books on martial arts history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

This step away from cultural traditions in China was preceded by the boxer rebellion,  nicely framed at the beginning of this video by Scott Park Phillips,  who has written fine books on martial arts history.

Very interesting, thank you.

• Like 1

As far as Indonesian Martial arts is concerned,  I know there are many and various.  My only personal contact has been with students of Poekelan,  a broken mirror system derived from Chinese animal forms. There are even folkloric claims that Bodhidarma sailed to the islands after his sojourn in China. 

• Like 1

On 22/6/2022 at 5:02 AM, Ethan singh said:

I read that in the past something happened in china that caused the best martial arts masters to immigrate to other countries…

The Communist take over caused this. Most migrated to Taiwan, a country that today is more traditional than the mainland. Excellent teachers live in Formosa, including He Jinghan & Luo Dexiu, teachers of Ba Gua Quan and Xingyi Quan respectively.

Further info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat_of_the_government_of_the_Republic_of_China_to_Taiwan