Sign in to follow this  
Earl Grey

From receiving fajin to giving fajin

After years of receiving fajin, I now can do it after seven years of training.

It isn't any thing special, and the person whom I did it to, about 36-38 kg heavier than me said it was like being shoved by a much bigger person--except this guy was taller and bigger than me, and as mentioned earlier, heavier.

Issuing 3% power is what causes someone to bounce back or stumble a bit; going around the 10-15% range makes them fly, and anything above that is overkill.

Anyone who says they can do it or learned to do it in 1-3 years doesn't know what they're talking about. Anyone who says I should join UFC and prove this works probably doesn't realize that the spontaneity of the practice is incompatible with rules, as thinking and overthinking while restraining the body from doing illegal moves creates tension that impairs one's ability to relax and release.

Fajin is more useful for ending a conflict in less than 5 seconds, maybe 2 ideally, 10 max, such as issuing fajin to someone attempting to shove you or pick your pocket and mug you. My classmate issued fajin when someone attempted to collide with her and she rooted, causing him to fly back instead.

It takes years to be able to control and end things in a few seconds rather than prolong it over several rounds. It takes even more years to end conflict by never beginning them.

All the people talking about pacifism saying it's a waste of time to study martial arts if one just pursues pacifism from the beginning are still violent in their thoughts and words with passive-aggression and condescending behavior.

A martial student with a well-developed mind respects power and restrains himself or herself because they see the weakness, trauma, vulnerabilities, and need for healing in everyone else walking around as physical, emotional, and mental cripples who haven't learned to rise, stand, and walk with grace and dignity.

"To determine a man's true character, look at him not when he is deprived of everything, but when he has power." - Abraham Lincoln

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Congratulations bro! You must be proud after all that hard work

Thanks bro!

Power does change a man. In my case, I've found this may be an apt comparison:

If an old Zen teaching states "When you finally reach the top of the mountain, keep climbing", then I think of people who pay sherpas to carry their bags for them and at the top of the mountain, take selfies and then focus more on self-aggrandizing stories. I also think of people who have so much fun that they decide to try the Seven Summits and other smaller summits because it's fun.

How I see myself is more of the latter, but I'm also the sherpa who helps shoulder other people's baggage when they can no longer go on, while teaching them and encouraging them to climb with me as well if they want to join me. How I live and how I do it isn't easy, but it's doable.

Analogous to the passive-aggressive fake pacifists are those who say "If the feeling of elation comes from returning from the mountain and resting, why not just rest and skip the mountain instead of showing off?"and those are the people who simply don't and can't know because they have their own weird ideas.

Back to training for me...and teaching.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

That’s not very nice 

Really?

I thought I’d give this thread a bump because, obviously, it wasn’t going anywhere, instead of just letting it die on the vine, I thought, water it.

• Wow 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:55 AM, zerostao said:

Those are marvelous accolades !

(self bestowed one’s too often are)

From a mod who wants to prevent conflict and claims to respect all practices, this doesn't seem like a comment written with the spirit of respect or good faith.

But hey: it's your forum, your rules, your opinion.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

From a mod who wants to prevent conflict and claims to respect all practices, this doesn't seem like a comment written with the spirit of respect or good faith.

But hey: it's your forum, your rules, your opinion.

Hmm, 

I am interested in your progress as well as the progress of all bums.

I think respectwise, giving some by mentioning your teacher would’ve been appropriate. 
but that’s just me.

really I bumped the thread to give you opportunity to do that or post a video, something along those lines.

I am certainly not looking for conflict.

it isn’t my forum btw, I’m one of the custodians.

but every post I make shouldn’t be viewed as coming from a “mod”

can’t I enjoy regular posting as any bum?

It’s your opportunity, however you choose to go with it;

follow up on the fajin topic or bicker

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

@Earl Grey what advice would you give to anyone looking to learn?

There is a specific sequence for learning that I know and teach which must be followed to the letter, no experimentation, just like if one were to practice neigong.

Break from the training sequence, and you risk harming yourself at worst and wasting time achieving nothing at best.

You'll never build the foundation if you only look at sensations or self-deception from people on the Internet who think they know how to do it when they've never experienced it.

For example what teacher are you learning from? 

I've mentioned in earlier threads, but for sake of convenience, I learn from the lineage of late GM David Chan and his successor JR Rodriguez (edit: and Greg Colmenares), and I'm taking the reins after the end of this year so that he can retire.

Are there any videos you can share with us about fajin? (Either from you or others) 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm mulling over posting videos of myself doing it and some demonstrations with some volunteers from a local biker group who don't do internal arts after two of them shared their experience with the little guy who was immovable a few weeks ago; just waiting on when I'm supposed to meet them for this, but sadly, I have an injury in my left toe and so will need a few weeks more to recover as I can only do one-legged trials now due to mobility being limited and extreme pain after the nail got partially ripped off.

Even then, I may just list them in our private forum on AG for members and then other videos for current registered students in good standing rather than for public scrutiny and juvenile remarks--especially given that a friend who posted faqi videos got a lot of ignoble boors making uninformed comments.

Could you give us a hint of the practices? (Unless they are a secret of course)

Sure--but not for free. :P

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Master Logray said:

@Earl Grey  What is your view towards the Philippines stick fighting?  

It's good. The late GM said that the stick and knife fighting styles (and stick and knife fighting combined) were better than all the Chinese weapon forms he learned due to how pragmatic and simple they are.

1 minute ago, Earl Grey said:

It's good. The late GM said that the stick and knife fighting styles (and stick and knife fighting combined) were better than all the Chinese weapon forms he learned due to how pragmatic and simple they are.

I think so.  You cannot carry usual Chinese long weapons around.  e.g. The long pole is very long.  Philippine stick can be substituted by umbrella or walking staff.

7 minutes ago, Master Logray said:

I think so.  You cannot carry usual Chinese long weapons around.  e.g. The long pole is very long.  Philippine stick can be substituted by umbrella or walking staff.

7 minutes ago, Master Logray said:

umbrella

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Break from the training sequence, and you risk harming yourself at worst and wasting time achieving nothing at best.

with energetics, a main harm risk is backlash, whichever training one undertook. 

I've mentioned in earlier threads, but for sake of convenience, I learn from the lineage of late GM David Chan and his successor JR Rodriguez, and I'm taking the reins after the end of this year so that he can retire.

Thank you for acknowledging your teacher & lineage. congratulations on your future endeavors of continuing that line.

but sadly, I have an injury in my left toe and so will need a few weeks more to recover as I can only do one-legged trials now due to mobility being limited and extreme pain after the nail got partially ripped off.

ouch! damn, you've had a run of health misfortunes that you've shared with us. I pray you find relief from your pain and limitations.

Even then, I may just list them in our private forum on AG for members and then other videos for current registered students in good standing rather than for public scrutiny and juvenile remarks--especially given that a friend who posted faqi videos got a lot of ignoble boors making uninformed comments.

I will echo your plug for the AG site. There will always be critics and arm chair critics, juvenile remarks etc

those I would ignore, the ignorant or the haters will always be there. I wouldn't let it deter what I was trying to convey.

Sure--but not for free. :P

I hear ya. There was a new bum on here recently complained about the price of lessons from a teacher that he wanted the material from. I was thinking really?? WTF, you want the knowledge and path to skill from a particular master but don't wanna pay the master's price, which BTW is worth every penny. Priceless actually. But I digress.

Teaching is also useful to increase one's own skill level. It is worthwhile on so many levels. Years ago, I used to teach. Traveling to different parts of the country, mostly, in the south, little seminars and such. Fun times. My areas of focus went purely to the energetics. So, while teaching martial arts and/or for basic health benefits is worthwhile and useful; I decided to step away from that to play with the energetics full time. fa jin  fa qi  fa shen  especially the latter, and fa qi is always fun, became my DOPE and never ending means to enjoyment. It never gets old. Some never do.

I would be remiss not to mention to those who are looking for the freebies, yeah the freeloader bums, stubborn lot of them actually,,,

if only to test drive to see if there is anything to it, they may like to check out this crazy dude who dishes out alot of bona fide energetics ways and means with reputable lineage for FREE

https://budojapan.com/feature-articles/liquid-lightning:the-meaning-of-internal-in-xingyiquan/

He gets his fair share and then some of ignoble boors making uniformed comments too, anyone will putting themselves in that position as you well know by now. But, undeterred and not letting that distract him, he continues without much complaint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Teaching is also useful to increase one's own skill level. It is worthwhile on so many levels.   

So true!

Edited by natural
  • Like 1

My injury delaying the planned future video demonstration:

Spoiler

photo_2022-06-29_16-26-13.thumb.jpg.98697d1c195571c589425fef5c5afa15.jpg

I slipped and fell on a dirt slope. Had to go to the hospital afterwards, where the doctor tasked with helping out said that in addition to helping safely remove this nail, she would cut the other nine toenails because her female instincts were telling her that it was unacceptable to let me leave without showing me "the real way to cut my own nails" and then went on a rant about how men don't know how to trim their own nails, women somehow always have to clean up after us, and just ask whomever is my girlfriend in the future to confirm this sentiment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

My injury delaying the planned future video demonstration:

Reveal hidden contents

photo_2022-06-29_16-26-13.thumb.jpg.98697d1c195571c589425fef5c5afa15.jpg

I slipped and fell on a dirt slope. Had to go to the hospital afterwards, where the doctor tasked with helping out said that in addition to helping safely remove this nail, she would cut the other nine toenails because her female instincts were telling her that it was unacceptable to let me leave without showing me "the real way to cut my own nails" and then went on a rant about how men don't know how to trim their own nails, women somehow always have to clean up after us, and just ask whomever is my girlfriend in the future to confirm this sentiment.

will light some incense and send positive healing energies your way

injuries happen along the way 

seemingly sometimes at the most inopportune moment

imo it’s just another form of test

the journey along the path isn’t easy;

just worthwhile 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this