almaxy

Correct tongue position

Hello everyone!

There is something I`ve never fully understood which is the correct tongue position. I always put it right behind the front teeth, but I've seen people saying that it should be on the back of the mouth/soft palate, so which one is the correct posture for everyday life and to create a bridge between ren mai and du mai?

Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, almaxy said:

Hello everyone!

There is something I`ve never fully understood which is the correct tongue position. I always put it right behind the front teeth, but I've seen people saying that it should be on the back of the mouth/soft palate, so which one is the correct posture for everyday life and to create a bridge between ren mai and du mai?

Thanks in advance!

What does your teacher say?

I have no teacher. I'm also not doing any type of meditation or qigong. I'm just wondering because since I read Damo Mitchell's books back in 2016 he mentioned a tongue position to be maintained 24/7, which I believe is called ''fire position'', where you put your tongue right behind the front teeth as if you just said ''bite'', and I've been doing this since then, and now this question arised. After posting this I've done some research and from what I've read what I'm doing is right.:D

The correct tongue position is dependent upon what you are trying to achieve. The just behind the upper teeth position is the natural position and most people will find that the tongue rests naturally at this point. However practitioners of the Taoist arts may find as they progress that other tongue positions are utilised. The fact remains though that the resting position remains just behind the upper teeth.

It depends on whether you want to cultivate yang, yin or balance yin-yang. Far back as possible is the yang position. Behind the front-teeth is the neutral/balanced position. Suspended in the space of our mouth is the yin position. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

For general purposes, relaxed / behind the front teeth is probably fine.  Remaining relaxed and conscious of your intention towards energy cultivation (in ren mai / du mai or just generally) is probably more important than any specific tongue position.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, dwai said:

It depends on whether you want to cultivate yang, yin or balance yin-yang. Far back as possible is the yang position. Behind the front-teeth is the neutral/balanced position. Suspended in the space of our mouth is the yin position. 

Can you elaborate?

What benefits would i get in certain situations from having my tongue in yin vs yang position?

7 hours ago, BluePickle said:

Can you elaborate?

What benefits would i get in certain situations from having my tongue in yin vs yang position?

Depends on what you’re cultivating/focusing on. If you want to work on yang qi, use the yang position. If you want to work on yin qi, use the yin position. If you want to balance the two, use the neutral one. 

Your tongue raises to touch your palate is a natural reaction when some qi , after having reached certain quality , passes and  makes you do that  ;  it is not any  kind of deliberate action you think of beforehand how to do  . Why worry about the position  ? It is same as the related action that you likely also do  before it : Contract the anal muscles when  qi starts to  rise from the bottom to your head . It is not necessary to think of how to contract your muscles beforehand !  What  is called " Tao follows the Nature " ("道法自然")   is  when you follow what qi tells you to do , not your own presumption beforehand , nor your own expectation or  imagination .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

The idea of correction and maintaining form has it's place in practice, just as much as the idea of letting go.

Does letting go and being natural have much meaning, if it is not preceded by correction?

Edited by mcoolio

If you want a Captain America jawline, and you believe broscientists, then you should put your entire tongue against the upper palate, not just the tip (that's what she said).

This is apparently called 'mewing'

• Haha 1