Planet_Venus

Looking for a new teacher/school after Healing Tao

3 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Please look at the title page of the preview. ;-

?

Edited by Cobie

7 minutes ago, Cobie said:

?

It says "D.C. Lau". I have no idea why the guy is suddenly called "Darrell D Lau" on Amazon and at other sites.

Edited by wandelaar

Inderdaad ben ik een Nederlander.

I find it confusing when a scholar who is generally known as "D.C. Lau" is suddenly and for no apparent reason called "Darrell D Lau" on Amazon and at other sites.

• Like 1

Most lineages are fake.

Many people in China use this to deceive people

你最好想好你要學什麼

直接去找這樣的老師就好了

You better think about what you want to learn

Just go to a teacher like this

Edited by awaken

8 hours ago, wandelaar said:

… a scholar who is generally known as "D.C. Lau" is suddenly and for no apparent reason called "Darrell D Lau" …

Idk.

Chinese puts the last name before the first names. Seems D. C. Lau was Cantonese.

D. C. Lau [wiki] in characters: 劉殿爵 

劉殿爵  in Cantonese Yale: Lau Din Cheuk

劉殿爵 pinyin: Liú Diàn Jué

劉  [wiktionary] surname

… Two origins are recorded: from 劉累 Liú Lĕi, descendant of Emperor Yao and dragon-keeper of King Kong Jia of Xia; and from the Liu state (劉國) ruled by Duke Kang of Liu, younger brother of King Ding of Zhou.

“Darrell D “ changes both first names. Doesn’t seem to be related to the characters:

殿 - hall; bring up the rear

爵 - wine vessel; rank of nobility 

Edited by Cobie

20 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Strange...!

Sorry, what am I supposed to see?

Edited by Cobie

Good point. Idk :( 

I don’t see anything in the characters that would explain it:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/53704-looking-for-a-new-teacherschool-after-healing-tao/?do=findComment&comment=984342 

Nor in the English name:

Darrell [wiki] is a given name derived from an English surname, which was derived from Norman-French d'Airelle, originally denoting one who came from Airelle in France.

Edited by Cobie

Damo Mitchell is very good. And has an online academy. His system does eventually take you through the whole alchemical process so the long term aim is much broader than your more limited health goals. But the earlier levels are much more about general health and foundational stuff so you could just do that. He has written a bunch of books you could look into. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markern said:

Damo Mitchell is very good. And has an online academy. His system does eventually take you through the whole alchemical process so the long term aim is much broader than your more limited health goals. But the earlier levels are much more about general health and foundational stuff so you could just do that. He has written a bunch of books you could look into. 

Thanks!

@wandelaar @Cobie haha yes thanks for going very off topic ;)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, markern said:

The problem with his online course is they are just prerecorded videos, a lot of filler and you have to wait a week between lessons. With other teachers you can learn at your own pace (or have the pace set for you by the teacher) instead of a one size fits all format which may be too slow or too fast for some people. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cobie said:

No “Darrell” on this page, but it does have his picture 

https://www4.hku.hk/hongrads/citations/ll-d-b-a-m-a-din-cheuk-lau-lau-din-cheuk 

Both are mentioned in

Oth: Darrell D. Lau

Author: D. C. Lau”

on 

https://www.powells.com/book/tao-te-ching-9780140441314 

“Oth”? ‘Otherwise known as’, I assume.

It is common to have an English name in Hong Kong.  A person's name can be Darrell LAU Din Cheuk, or LAU, Din Cheuk, Darrell.  The Darrell or English sounding names may or may not be registered in identity documents.

It was started in the old days when having an English name was more "modern" and in those days typing was as difficult as cultivation, no mistake was allowed, especially on important papers or in telex where every character costs money. It is much easier to type something familiar.   In government or institutions, people like to call each other on initial basis "DC". 

There is another cultural factor too.  People do not like their full Chinese names to be called.   I won't call a person "Din Cheuk" but rather Lau, Cheuk or Darrell (if exist) or other nicknames.  It infringes one's privacy and is a bit offensive because only authoritative figures would call your full name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, Earl Grey said:

Entirely up to the OP though, as I will reserve my full opinion for an appropriate thread probably more likely on my own forum because this group is loaded with red flags.

I think it would be interesting to hear your opinion. 

6 hours ago, Master Logray said:

Wow, thank you very much for all this wonderful info. You are a mine of information. :)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:52 PM, Cheshire Cat said:

I think it would be interesting to hear your opinion. 

Maybe on another thread to not detract from here.

Spoiler

and only if people rrrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyy want to hear what I have to say, which hasn't been the case in this forum for years.

Edited by Earl Grey