Planet_Venus

Looking for a new teacher/school after Healing Tao

Hi all,

I am new here, and looking for recommendations for a teacher/school/lineage.
I've been practicing healing tao for about 4 years now with a teacher who is very good at having us students experience certain techniques and embodiment of the practices, but not so good at structure and providing solid theory.

I also get very lost in all the different types of qigong and taoism lineages and schools. Currently I am reading a book about the history of tao from Kristoffer Schipper, but for now it doesn't bring much clarity either :D

So what I am looking for is more clarity about the different styles of qigong and tao lineages (maybe someone remembers a good post about this, or a book?)

And I am looking for a new teacher :) Someone who is grounded and doesn't teach too extreme stuff, my aim is to feel better in my physical body, more vitality, groundedness and joy...but not necessarily to ascend to space and have crazy experiences haha maybe it will happen at some point, but it's not my goal.

What I like about healing tao so far is the emotional balance it gives me through healing sounds, inner smile, heating the stove etc.
I also really love bone marrow nei kung, and jade egg practices and breast massages. I don't do the advanced sexual practices of Mantak because I am very cautious :)
I love dao yin, and for example I really love the qigong god's playing in the clouds, and also like kuan shi yin qi gong and crane bird qigong.

A bit of a random selection of things I love, but maybe someone will read this and thinks, oh you should google this teacher!

Many thanks!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Planet_Venus said:
... looking for recommendations for a teacher/school/lineage.

Welcome to the forum. : ) Enjoy. 
I actually think having a teacher is counterproductive, it will detract you from your own road.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cobie said:

I actually think having a teacher is counterproductive, it will detract you from your own road.

To travel your own road you need directions and a destination. Those who attempt to teach themselves tend to end up with an idiot for a teacher and a fool for a student.

If you wish to continue down the route of Taoist cultivation you could do a lot worse that taking a look at Damo Mitchells online school.

https://damomitchell.com/nei-gong-course/

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bull said:

...to teach themselves … an idiot for a teacher and a fool for a student. 

(my bold)

Speak for your self.  :lol: For you to teach yourself might imply “an idiot for a teacher and a fool for a student.” :P

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

Does a flower need a teacher to tell it how to be a flower? :lol::lol::lol: No, it’s 自然 .

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bull said:

... Damo Mitchells online school.

IMO it’s a racket. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cobie said:

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

Does a flower need a teacher to tell it how to be a flower? :lol::lol::lol: No, it’s 自然 .

If you believe cultivation of jing, qi, and shen can be self-taught, well, more power to you, but this doesn't mean you are right.

If a person believes they can drive without anyone teaching them, without reading a legitimate book, and suddenly declare themselves accomplished and even call themselves masters, I wouldn't want to be on the road with them (and I have encountered people who did this and harmed a lot of people).

If a person thinks they can wake up and practice law without going to school and think they can pass the BAR exam, I wouldn't want them as a lawyer.

When you can faqi or fajin, understand Classical Chinese over Google translate, I might take your opinion seriously.

...But: this is a forum for discussion, not a school for recruitment, and you are entitled to your opinion even if some of us find it silly

16 hours ago, Planet_Venus said:
Hi all,

I've been practicing healing tao for about 4 years now with a teacher who is very good at having us students experience certain techniques and embodiment of the practices, but not so good at structure and providing solid theory.

I also get very lost in all the different types of qigong and taoism lineages and schools. Currently I am reading a book about the history of tao from Kristoffer Schipper, but for now it doesn't bring much clarity either :D

So what I am looking for is more clarity about the different styles of qigong and tao lineages (maybe someone remembers a good post about this, or a book?)

And I am looking for a new teacher :) Someone who is grounded and doesn't teach too extreme stuff, my aim is to feel better in my physical body, more vitality, groundedness and joy...but not necessarily to ascend to space and have crazy experiences haha maybe it will happen at some point, but it's not my goal.

What I like about healing tao so far is the emotional balance it gives me through healing sounds, inner smile, heating the stove etc.
I also really love bone marrow nei kung, and jade egg practices and breast massages. I don't do the advanced sexual practices of Mantak because I am very cautious :)
I love dao yin, and for example I really love the qigong god's playing in the clouds, and also like kuan shi yin qi gong and crane bird qigong.

A bit of a random selection of things I love, but maybe someone will read this and thinks, oh you should google this teacher!

Many thanks!!

Here:http://taichimania.com/

https://forum.alchemical.garden/branch/zenbear/

and here: http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/

and especially here: https://authenticneigong.com/

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 8:47 AM, Planet_Venus said:
Hi all,

Many thanks!!

Normally, I would plug one of the people mentioned by the others

However, based on your post

This might be suitable for you : https://www.springforestqigong.com/

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

I'm not into qigong, neigong, neidan, etc... but I recently found this website https://warriorneigong.com/ which offers various online courses. 

It might be what you're looking for. 

Took a look...and I vote nay.

Entirely up to the OP though, as I will reserve my full opinion for an appropriate thread probably more likely on my own forum because this group is loaded with red flags.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Took a look...and I vote nay.

Entirely up to the OP though, as I will reserve my full opinion for an appropriate thread probably more likely on my own forum because this group is loaded with red flags.

Would second the nay.

Even with the link I posted. I would rarely make such a recommendation,

I'd have went with my normal recommendations, but then I looked at the aims.

my aim is to feel better in my physical body, more vitality, groundedness and joy

I wouldn't be enthusiastic about recommending neigong, to someone with these aims tbh.

Transformation is rarely an overall pleasant experience, its normally a mix of ups and downs and some levelling out...

Plus, everything is all well and good till the weird stuff starts happening. :lol:

Edited by Shadow_self
  • Like 4

I still need to figure out how I can reply to a specific answer B)

But anyway @Cobie thanks for the tip haha but I am looking for sure for a teacher! I think I can walk my own path and have a teacher guiding me :)

@Bull  @Earl Grey  & @Cheshire Cat    Thanks!! I  will look into these courses!!

As for your comment @Shadow_self , yes I know it comes with ups in downs hehe i've been training with a teacher for 4 years and it certainly has and still can be very intense and chaotic process. Also weird shit has happend for sure :ph34r:
But I mend more to say that I like practices that go easy, and build a good foundation from the ground up, and not for example immediatley start with ovarian kung fu or semen retention (if i would be a man).

Having said that, I would mostly like to find a teacher in real life, not online. Bc of me being cautious and weird shit happening ;)

So anyone recommendations for lineages or types of qigong styles? I could google then if there is a teacher here in The Netherlands.

Lot of healing tao folks out here, which I also like, but I want to explore different stuff too :)

21 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

Would second the nay.

Even with the link I posted. I would rarely make such a recommendation,

I'd have went with my normal recommendations, but then I looked at the aims.

I wouldn't be enthusiastic about recommending neigong, to someone with these aims tbh.

Transformation is rarely an overall pleasant experience, its normally a mix of ups and downs and some levelling out...

Plus, everything is all well and good till the weird stuff starts happening. :lol:

I third the nay, but also second the yay for spring forest qigong 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Planet_Venus said:

@Pak_Satrio

Why would you avoid healing tao, in your opinion?

Pre-empting his answer, look at what the site admin's own post says:

And FYI: this forum once began as an off-shoot of the original HT forums. Think of that while considering some of the criticisms in the link here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Earl Grey thanks!! This forum is a maze haha so i've been looking through many threads but asking a question seems more effective!

Also, regarding healing tao, my teacher is very safe and we never do extreme stuff, everything very light and she keeps a good eye on us students. Although sometimes a big dipper or primordial qigong can get a bit intense :ph34r:

But besides that, I would to broaden my knowledge! So that's why I am looking here for some advice what to do next :)

I was also wondering, do you know what lineage healing tao comes from? I read a bit about Yi Eng, but I couldn't find the lineage or 'order'.

Edited by Planet_Venus

1 hour ago, Planet_Venus said:

@Earl Grey thanks!! This forum is a maze haha so i've been looking through many threads but asking a question seems more effective!

Also, regarding healing tao, my teacher is very safe and we never do extreme stuff, everything very light and she keeps a good eye on us students. Although sometimes a big dipper or primordial qigong can get a bit intense :ph34r:

But besides that, I would to broaden my knowledge! So that's why I am looking here for some advice what to do next :)

I was also wondering, do you know what lineage healing tao comes from? I read a bit about Yi Eng, but I couldn't find the lineage or 'order'.

HT lineage is made up. Chia learned bits and pieces but never completed his studies and fabricated his master. Many of his books are no longer canon to him, but he almost never updates new editions to eliminate what he teaches in spite of psychoses and lawsuits arising from what he teaches.

Good luck should you choose to stick with them.

• Like 3

@Earl Grey Oke thanks for the clarification! I was already wondering about the lineage hehe.
Yes not sure if I will continue with healing tao, I am just getting started on my dao path and there is so much to learn, it's just a LOT. And as I said before I want to expand my knowledge.

Brings me to my final questions for now :D

Any advice on classic texts to read?
And could someone hint me what the most important lineages / traditions are? I read a bit about zhengyi & quanzhan, and read something about northern and southern traditions..

I bought the Tao te Ching translated by Stephen Mitchell but it annoyed me because I had this feeling that it was too influenced by new agey stuff / zen tradition. I didn't felt like the translation i was looking for.
I read that the version of Darrell Lau (1974) is more  the most reliable and scholarly translation so I will go for that. 

Oke Dao bums, thanks for your time, I will wait for your replies and insights :D
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Planet_Venus said:

...  @Cobie … I am looking for sure for a teacher! I think I can walk my own path and have a teacher guiding me ..

To each his own. I hope you will find what you are looking for. Best of luck. :)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Darrell Lau?? Is that the same guy as D.C. Lau?

idk. 

Edited by Cobie