In this world of pride, greed, and sensual indulgence, one might well ask themselves; "What is right?"

I tell you that compassion is the only path to righteousness, it is the greatest good and it is the only right way.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this subtle pain in me. I think it comes from a sadness that is brought on by realizing our mortality. It's not a great pain, but it is always there, and when I find myself not thinking about it, I feel that I need to remind myself of it because otherwise I'm not thinking properly. I feel like if I ignore the pain and the sadness that I am failing at being aware.

• Sad 1

Does not 'mortality' make life even more precious and valuable  -  more important to live and enjoy each moment  ?

More cause to celebrate and experience it  ?

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

Does not 'mortality' make life even more precious and valuable  -  more important to live and enjoy each moment  ?

More cause to celebrate and experience it  ?

Thanks, I never thought of it that way.

8 hours ago, Cobie said:

How does it feel for you?

That life is even more precious and valuable  - and it is   more important to live and enjoy each moment .

And that gives more  cause to celebrate and experience it  , on  many levels .

29 minutes ago, Nungali said:

That life is even more precious and valuable  - and it is   more important to live and enjoy each moment .

And that gives more  cause to celebrate and experience it  , on  many levels .

I'm trying to see it this way.  I feel that I may be too depressed though.  It's been a long time since I've felt the joy of being alive.

10 minutes ago, Cobie said:

Thanks for your reply. May I ask, how old are you?

12 minutes ago, helpfuldemon said:

I'm trying to see it this way.  I feel that I may be too depressed though.  It's been a long time since I've felt the joy of being alive.

I had felt it many times in my youth , But sometimes other things got in the way of that .  Then I began a certain meditation, I did it for some years . Part of the results where supposedly that, I was sceptical  but here I am  - 'bathing in it ' .   Of course one's whole own 'lifes dynamic ' plays its part as well .  I have always considered myself 'fortunate and lucky ' .

' Heaven ' knows why   <shrug >  .

1 minute ago, Cobie said:

Thanks for your answer. Same age as me. : ) 

252-2521128_billy-goat-cartoon-cartoon-b

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Cobie said:

I’m a bit depressed as well at the moment. : ( Did find this post of yours inspirational:

The modern dictum ‘enjoy life’ feels to me as an added burden. I prefer to see my life as a God given task, then it’s enough to just get through each day the best I can. : )

I'm sorry you are depressed, I know how painful it can be.  I really feel for anyone that is suffering from mental pain, or physical pain.  It can be difficult to suffer long term.  I don't feel like my life is a task from God, that is an interesting thing to think.  It's funny how we validate a not-so-great life in the eyes of the Divine.  I don't feel close to having a purpose for God.  I feel that life is given to us and we make the most of it while we can and when we can't, we can't.  Right now I can't.

• Like 1

In the modern world an open heart can be a painful vulnerable thing.  It is a scarred and callused organ.  Maybe shutting out the world for a bit, or at least the news and doing things that cultivate love, kindness to others and oneself.. helps heal it. 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/well/family/random-acts-of-kindness.html

From one reader comment:

"..."...Do you know the story - now spread across the internet - of the 7th grade teacher who changed the lives of her students by one simple positive act? A seemingly small - no, almost insignificant - gesture?

I had wondered for awhile if it was another internet myth but no, it was quite real. It took place over 50 years ago, but it still touches many hearts.

One rainy afternoon, the students in class seemed distracted, so the teacher asked them to set aside their books, take out a piece of paper, and write one nice thing about each of the other 24 students. She collected the papers and over the weekend, put together each thing the students said.

On Monday morning, she passed out a sheet to each student with the kind statements about them written by the other 24 students. They were all shocked; they ALL had felt that for the most part, they were rather insignificant in the eyes of the others.

Quite some years later, the students met up again at a memorial for one of them who had died in Vietnam. At one point in the service, the deceased soldier's mother came over to the teacher and handed a tattered piece of paper that had been found in the dead soldier's wallet. It was that paper the teacher had put together years before.

Slowly, other students came up to her, took out THEIR papers, which they had saved all those years, so much had this one simple gesture meant to them..."

Edited by dontknwmucboutanythng