wandelaar

Benjamin Hoff's "Tao Te Ching"

Anyone is free to create a new religion/philosophy from whatever is around, that’s fine with me. 

Edited by Cobie

:lol: Why don’t you buy the book, I am curious to know why he deleted those chapters. :P

2 hours ago, wandelaar said:

(...) 

:lol: Seems you achieved 無 (wu2 - nothingness). :P

Edited by Cobie

On 17/05/2022 at 7:51 AM, Cobie said:

Hoff deleted chapter 5 

Henricks thinks Chapter 5 is two separate unconnected parts.

The two parts may have been removed from other chapters by ancient ‘Hoff-like’ reshuffling scribblers.

Edited by Cobie

Does anyone know about the credentials of Hoff? Does he have knowledge of (ancient Chinese) palaeography? 

Edited by Cobie

I bought this book and read it when it came out. He makes some good points about writing utensils, but the book as a reference doesn't hold up. He offers no citations, bibliographies, or examples of the original brushwork. The commentary is separated from the translation. And the writing could have gone through several more revisions, and had better editing. 

I liked the commentary as a casual read but I don't run to it very often if I am curious about a chapter. As for the Chapters he deleted, I only really agree with one of them (Chap 58). But I did appreciate his attention to tone and vocabulary throughout the DDJ as a whole, something I never paid much attention to before. 

It's more like a translators private journal of the translation process. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, treebuffalo said:

… He offers no citations, bibliographies, or examples of the original brushwork. …

Thanks for the info. :)

@treebuffalo

Thank you very much. My own impression of the book from reading the preview was the same. Didn't he mention any dictionary or internet site as a source for the supposed earlier meanings of the characters that as he claims were ignored by all scholars before him?

Edited by wandelaar

On 5/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, wandelaar said:

@treebuffalo

Thank you very much. My own impression of the book from reading the preview was the same. Didn't he mention any dictionary or internet site as a source for the supposed earlier meanings of the characters that as he claims were ignored by all scholars before him?

He claims he is the only Westerner to translate the DDJ according to the original characters. But he never writes the term "seal script" or "small script." He takes the lid off the subject but doesn't drill down or even include any original script.

I can personally vouch for at least one author who has access to a seal script source, Red Pine. He actually loaned me one of his books that has the entire Guodian DDJ in seal script. 

Which puts us in Goldberg territory. You got all these authors making translations, all pretty close, but all still pretty impractical. How many do we have to read before we try and ingest the meaning over the words? I think that's what Hoff was trying to say. He duffed it a little, but it's nice to crack the window at least on all these stuffy translations. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, treebuffalo said:

He claims he is the only Westerner to translate the DDJ according to the original characters. But he never writes the term "seal script" or "small script." …

Seeing the link above, me thinks ‘so much for the Hoff’. 

8 hours ago, treebuffalo said:

… You got all these authors making translations, all pretty close …

It’s like they all copy each other, they are all in the same range; Hoff too (based on the preview only).

Edited by Cobie

… You got all these authors making translations … all still pretty impractical. …

“impractical”. Hmm … could you say a bit more about that?

Edited by Cobie

You got all these authors making translations … all still pretty impractical. … 

I think bits are basically unintelligible.

Edited by Cobie

… You got all these authors making translations, all pretty close, but all still pretty impractical. … 

When I look at the transcripts the characters give me an entirely different meaning, that’s very simple, easy to understand and good practical advice. 

Edited by Cobie

9 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Maybe I will buy the book from the link, if that indeed contains pictures of the original characters...

Gosh, yes, I was tempted to buy it, it looks really interesting. But I think it discuses Confucian books. My interest is in DDJ and I think that’s in volume II.

Edited by Cobie

Haha! :lol:

That's the same article that I linked to earlier. But I have to admit that I still have to read it myself.

3 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

… I still have to read it myself.

I had a 10 second read and realised it is way beyond my level. :( 

12 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Was the book with the original characters this book?

https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/f/the-bamboo-texts-of-guodian/9200000004725749/

I got a look at the first volume of this book at a local university, and like Cobie says, it's pretty dense. But it was a disappointment for me. There were only a couple images of the bamboo strips, and the transcribed seal script was just little bits from here and there, only some from the Laozi. And even those were out of order. The book is not really about translating the Laozi as much as it is about studying the discovery at Guodian and putting it in historical context. I would've been interested in the second volume only to get a look at the bibliography. 

If you want an image of a publication that has all the strips pictured I can post it. 

4 minutes ago, treebuffalo said:

If you want an image of a publication that has all the strips pictured I can post it. 

Yes - I like to see it.