Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Compost Toilet

How my compost toilet looks above:

62735dad00826_lou(1)small.thumb.JPG.c465a3a5e3d2ed69e6160ffc551eb110.JPG

And below where the composting happens: 

62735df64a90e_lou6small.thumb.JPG.96843c256196e0924f7437b77abd2b78.JPG

This toilet holds compost comprising over 15 years of my shit mixed with wood shavings.  It’s amazing how what would otherwise be a huge pile composts down to a relatively small amount of garden rich nutrient.  I haven't had to empty it yet, but I do need to rake down every few months the pile that forms in the centre. (Before health regulations forced me to install it, I had a pit toilet which worked very well too and required no maintenance at all. It composted happily by itself with help from ongoing contact with the soil.) 

I think with the right attitude the same alchemical transmutation can happen here on Dao Bums; that the great piles of words we deposit here can go through a slow composting and transmutation process within our individual psyches so that the true essence of our words turns into rich cultivation nutrient. At least, that’s what I feel is happening with my engagement here. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Yueya said:

How my compost toilet looks above:

62735dad00826_lou(1)small.thumb.JPG.c465a3a5e3d2ed69e6160ffc551eb110.JPG

Errrrmmmm ...... it appears you missed the hole on two occasions .  But at least we can see how enlightened you are ..... those 'misses' seem to come out in the shape of a Buddha !   Miraculous !

And below where the composting happens: 

62735df64a90e_lou6small.thumb.JPG.96843c256196e0924f7437b77abd2b78.JPG

This toilet holds compost comprising over 15 years of my shit mixed with wood shavings.  It’s amazing how what would otherwise be a huge pile composts down to a relatively small amount of garden rich nutrient.  I haven't had to empty it yet, but I do need to rake down every few months the pile that forms in the centre. (Before health regulations forced me to install it, I had a pit toilet which worked very well too and required no maintenance at all. It composted happily by itself with help from ongoing contact with the soil.) 

On a more serious note, is that storage tank ON the ground or is there some type of enclosed pit under it ?

That clear thing on the front looks like the bottom of a drink bottle stuck into it ?

health regulations dont allow a pit toilet anymore ?   Is that new council regs ?  First I have heard of it .  What council shire are you in  anyway ? 

I think with the right attitude the same alchemical transmutation can happen here on Dao Bums; that the great piles of words we deposit here can go through a slow composting and transmutation process within our individual psyches so that the true essence of our words turns into rich cultivation nutrient. At least, that’s what I feel is happening with my engagement here. 

Oh well then ..... I must have added a huge share of the 'raw material '  here   :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I love it! But I hope those Buddha statues don't accompany you while you shit!

When it comes to Buddhas in my loo,

It’s definitely a case of not-two.

If you look more closely at the photo (maybe zoon in) you’ll see the item on the left is a pottery lantern which actually bears no resemblance to a Buddharupa.

The one on right has been sitting there for years and is a fully awakened follower of the Way and hence knows there is no place the Way doesn’t exist, including in piss and shit.  From Burton Watson’s translation of the Zhuangzi:

Master Tung-kuo asked Chuang Tzu, "This thing called the Way - where does it exist?"

Chuang Tzu said, "There's no place it doesn't exist."

"Come," said Master Tung-kuo, "you must be more specific!"

"It is in the ant."

"As low a thing as that?"

"It is in the panic grass."

"But that's lower still!"

"It is in the tiles and shards."

"How can it be so low?"

"It is in the piss and shit!"

Master Tung-kuo made no reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Errrrmmmm ...... it appears you missed the hole on two occasions .  But at least we can see how enlightened you are ..... those 'misses' seem to come out in the shape of a Buddha !   Miraculous !

See above reply.

On a more serious note, is that storage tank ON the ground or is there some type of enclosed pit under it ?

That clear thing on the front looks like the bottom of a drink bottle stuck into it ?

It's a fully enclosed unit that's dug into the ground a little. At the front there is about 300mm below the ground. It's base is level so it's much deeper buried at the back.   And yes, that's a trap for small insects made out of a drink bottle. 

health regulations dont allow a pit toilet anymore ?   Is that new council regs ?  First I have heard of it .  What council shire are you in  anyway ? 

The local council here is very strict on it, made everyone in the district upgrade from pit toilets. They said it was a state-wide health department regulation but maybe that was misinformation. I resisted for a few years but eventually relented and built a new annex on the side of my house to accommodate it. Having done so, I'm pleased I did as it saves walking outside to the pit loo which was located about 10 metres from my house. A small comfort that I appreciate as I get older.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yueya said:

When it comes to Buddhas in my loo,

It’s definitely a case of not-two.

If you look more closely at the photo (maybe zoon in) you’ll see the item on the left is a pottery lantern which actually bears no resemblance to a Buddharupa.

The one on right has been sitting there for years and is a fully awakened follower of the Way and hence knows there is no place the Way doesn’t exist, including in piss and shit.  From Burton Watson’s translation of the Zhuangzi:

Master Tung-kuo asked Chuang Tzu, "This thing called the Way - where does it exist?"

"It is in the ant."

"How can it be so low?"

Would you put a Jesus statue right next to a toilet?

2 hours ago, treebuffalo said:

This is an awesome compost story. But how on Earth is there 15 years worth in that tiny box? 

Naturally of course!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Well, I once went to a toilet and the men's urinal had a pic of Tony Abbot on it with a target around it . 

Tony Abbot , ex PM of Oz, looking entirely natural and friendly   ;)

Prime_Minister_Tony_Abbott.jpg

( I remember going off at this slight woman in a self defence class , she was weak , retiring, no 'ooomph ' , her punches where like pats .   Me ; "Thats no good , that won't do anything !  You cant punch, so dont bother , rather , from that position, whip me across the face with a backhand  .... "        pat  ...    " No no no, you gotta  put some energy  and aggression behind it  ! "

Pat ....   <sigh>    ......  " Look !  Pretend I am Tony Abbott  ! "

..... WHAM !      :D  

(Its become a joke at training  , when inviting an attack  " pretend I am Tony Abbott )

I guess I should apologise for introducing such a low   subject into a thread about  toilets .

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bindi said:

image.jpeg.977438a29e4da30c8c5d45a5c21d33f1.jpeg

Immersion (Piss Christ). 

Well , your aim seems reasonable .

20 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I understand where you’re coming from with your comment and I respect it.

However, you don’t know me and how important connection with the sacred is in my life.  I consider my whole house a temple and that includes the loo. To me it’s all sacred space including the surrounding forest. It’s a sacredness that embraces the mundane, is naturally occurring and felt inwardly when connecting with both the visible and invisible worlds. I built the structure that houses that compost toilet myself and am pleased with the warm feeling of qi that pervades the space inside.  

There’s a classic essay on traditional Japanese aesthetics by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki titled In Praise of Shadows. I highly recommend this excellent reading of it on YouTube. Of relevance here, starting around the 5 minute mark, he gives an enchanting description of the traditional Japanese toilet as a place of spiritual repose. Mine, especially at night, evokes some similar experiences.

(As background information and to directly address your question, I’m not a Christian and feel no connection with their iconography. So the idea of putting a statue of Jesus in my loo or anywhere else is totally foreign to me. Whereas the Buddha statues, of which I have several, feel deeply meaningful for me. For a couple of years in the early days of my spiritual seeking I lived at various Buddhist meditation centres, including over a year at a forest monastery I particularly liked. I felt an inner resonance with those places. They felt familiar, like returning to a lost home.  Part of my inner core felt like it had experienced a lifetime as a Buddhist monastic. Although I don’t consider myself a Buddhist now I have a great respect for that religion.)

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bindi said:

image.jpeg.977438a29e4da30c8c5d45a5c21d33f1.jpeg

Immersion (Piss Christ). 

I was brought up without any connection with religion in a family who aspired to rational materialism. It has only been through my own experiences and, in particular, reading Carl Jung’s insights into the deeper meaning of Christian theology that I’ve gained a great respect for the inner core of that religion.  Perhaps because I wasn’t immersed in it from childhood, Christian iconography stirs no strong emotions within me. Even so, I find that image of Christ powerful and even more so when I read on Wikipedia how it was created.

I know from previous posts of yours that you have a strong Christian background. How do you feel about that image?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, treebuffalo said:

This is an awesome compost story. But how on Earth is there 15 years worth in that tiny box? 

And the box is only about half full.

Like Natural said, it happens naturally. Or ‘self-so’ (ziran 自然), to use Daoist terminology. Yet it embraces natural processes which are almost infinitely complex. But that doesn't mean I want to immerse myself in that pile! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yueya said:

I was brought up without any connection with religion in a family who aspired to rational materialism. It has only been through my own experiences and, in particular, reading Carl Jung’s insights into the deeper meaning of Christian theology that I’ve gained a great respect for the inner core of that religion.  Perhaps because I wasn’t immersed in it from childhood, Christian iconography stirs no strong emotions within me. Even so, I find that image of Christ powerful and even more so when I read on Wikipedia how it was created.

I know from previous posts of yours that you have a strong Christian background. How do you feel about that image?

I have multiple reactions, none of which are definitive, which makes it effective as an art piece at least :) 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 3:09 AM, Yueya said:

The one on right has been sitting there for years and is a fully awakened follower of the Way and hence knows there is no place the Way doesn’t exist, including in piss and shit.

Since the love of the Buddhas has been likened to that of parents' love for their children: Could you see yourself installing enshrined images of your very own mother and father in the outhouse toilet? What type of mindfulness would such pictures result then?

Personally, I wouldn't offer any type of (questionable) honor to the Buddha if the same respect wouldn't be fit for my parents, good friends, or significant other either. I think there is important merit in showing our loved ones (and with enough bodhicitta even including our enemies) that we really mean well and want to offer only the best.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, Yueya said:

"It is in the ant."

"How can it be so low?"

repeated for resonance

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 1:08 AM, silent thunder said:

repeated for resonance

Sometimes I really just wonder how hard it is to develop rapport and have caring human discussions even though dissidence is present.

Nope,

Not interested,

Not going to give any direct response,

The point went straight over your head, ha-ha!

I think you got lost in the provisional meaning, ho!

I know the secrets of spiritual view,

Spiritual freedom is so high and so am I,

Wheeeeeeeeee!

I don't mind it though. I suppose that being curious about what others do only leads to side tracks.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this