steve

Original Dao Bums

12 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

There's only one way to find out... ^_^

https://alineageofdragons.com/forum/

Thanks .... but then he would know my name and email ... and since he wants to murder me ..... ahhhhhh , maybe I just have a look at it .

Unless you will let me join under your name and emai and password l ... if you could lend it to me   ......

I wouldn't abuse it

awesome-guy-picture-id134346211?k=20&m=1

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Well - apparently you prefer to reason about what happened on Original Dao on the basis of your own preconceptions instead of on the basis of facts and reports of those who were actually there. Did you bother to look at the Original Dao forum to see what kind of site it was? Do you seriously think that a spiritual forum can thrive with only a few active members left?

Yes, I was looking at the forum before, even though it's been awhile. The more relevant part (if any) now would be the hidden political subforum, which I have no access to. My comment was based on Aethereous' post, though, linked in the OP:

Political discussion was always meant to be a side thing here, only for those with that interest (it was kept hidden from others who didn't have any interest in it, allowing everyone to "have their cake and eat it too")...and unfortunately, politics has dominated as the primary thing discussed here. It's like 50:1 political to cultivation discussion, so we've gone way off course. I don't believe political discussion was the reason why cultivation/spiritual discussion has halted, but it had simply become the main thing posted about here - and therefore, the forum no longer resembles what it was meant to be: a rich archive of cultivation info, where people could learn about and explore new things, and not have biased moderation against them or be censored for thinking differently. It didn't ever fully turn into that, and only barely did. So, this propaganda issue has been the final straw for me, which made me realize that I'm not interested in continuing to pay for this place.

So I thinks it's fair to say that political debate was thriving in comparison to spiritual discussion. 

However I trust that my description of what happened to Original Dao will be of use to some others who are more interested in finding out the truth than in waging ideological wars. 

I am not at war with anyone.

The OP asked for members' views, so I shared mine regarding what I think is likely to happen if we invite OD participants back in en bloc. And this was based on my intimate knowledge of what happened on this forum in the past, both in the limelight and backstage. Also, I am quite familiar with many of the (former) long-term posters here.

That's all. :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nungali said:

... which seem to be constantly whittled  away and picked at , levered aside  .....

people behaving here JUST LIKE they do on my community  - trying to get around the rules  and in that case ; they even created them themselves  , in the first place .

It just seems to be part of mundane human nature .

‘When the pollinators are extinct (Holocene) and there is no food,  some will still be here posting. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Thanks .... but then he would know my name and email ... and since he wants to murder me ..... ahhhhhh , maybe I just have a look at it .

Unless you will let me join under your name and emai and password l ... if you could lend it to me   ......

I wouldn't abuse it

awesome-guy-picture-id134346211?k=20&m=1

No no - but you could search YouTube as Starjumper has become somewhat of a celebrity after publishing his book. Those video's give an impression of what he's doing these days.

3 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

No no - but you could search YouTube as Starjumper has become somewhat of a celebrity after publishing his book. Those video's give an impression of what he's doing these days.

Oh ?   Good for him , I am glad he got what he was chasing after .  

I checked his forum, its all but dead .... and  more like a blog  / youtube library

19 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

There are already sock puppet accounts of banned members from OD. Some I've reported (and been ignored), others I don't mention because someone else already recognizes who they are and says it before me, and one in particular who doesn't know that I know but it only ends up working out for me because of their harassment towards me that gets ignored because they are very good at passive-aggression.

I didn't intend to come back here for a while as per my last post even with a couple PMs I've received, but I just had to point out that there are already banned members hanging out here in sock puppet accounts.

Back to AG for me for a while (give or take a few weeks). Anyone trying to PM me can just find me on AG instead because I want no part of welcoming back some seriously dangerous individuals, let alone a current moderation team whose reasoning I often disagree with since they took over--especially for welcoming back OD folks knowing what they've done.

10 hours ago, steve said:

I guess I'm missing something here, did @thelerner post info about this somewhere?

5 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Well if you're missing it, I am now as well.

It was in this conversation and talked about sock puppet accounts being here now and him recognizing one in particular.

The comment seems to be hidden or deleted.

No comment disappeared. It was mine, quoted above, mistakenly attributed to thelerner. 

I may be wary of the mod team, but I believe in truth, fairness, and justice, but mainly truth above all. Nobody hid or deleted anything.

Peace out.

6 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Well if you're missing it, I am now as well.

It was in this conversation and talked about sock puppet accounts being here now and him recognizing one in particular.

The comment seems to be hidden or deleted.

I too was wondering what I may have said.   I assume it was quite awhile ago. added (unless it was about the practice that must Not Be Named..for fear of vast wasteland of redundant pages) I haven't been active much.  I haven't been to the Original Dao in a long time,  not sure I've ever even posted there.  My past is a mystery, even to me.

Anyhow, it's a loss.  Running and modding a site is work, sometimes anxious heart rending work.  My compliments to Zhangzhi for keeping it going for so long, all sites tend to be uphill battles.  I'd love to start skimming the Original Dao site while its still up.  I'm sure there's much gold there, as the OD admin said politics made it darker.  Many of the TB members who migrated there were excellent, eccentric, problematic at times, but they had heart and knowledge. 

I'm not a mod but personally I wouldn't mind them coming back to the site.  I'd certainly ask them to acknowledge that politics, clingy one sided, insulting politics are poisonous.  Sometimes you gotta say, what you gotta say, but WE'RE NOT A POLITICAL SITE- RIGHT OR LEFT OR WRONG.   If you have to say something political, spit it out, and leave it lying there like turd, don't defend or keeping going back to educate others.  This is not the place to 'OWN' anybody.

At our best we're an eclectic philosophy site, who's member shoot the shit and respect each other. 

Been watching the series- Godless on Netflix.  Lately my verbage is filled w/ old West cliches.  apologies, now git you doggies.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

@ Michael Sternbach

As I said before there are one or two members of Original Dao who could possibly cause trouble here because of their extreme political views. I agree with you that it's not a smart thing to do to invite those members to come here. My point was that most members of Original Dao were perfectly happy with leaving politics alone to concentrate on spirituality in the public part of the forum while the forum was still flourishing. The public and the hidden part of the forum were separate worlds. Only in the last phase when the public part of the forum was already almost dead was the option discussed of allowing politics on the public part of the forum, but after some thought the owner decided not to do so because that would go against the original spiritual goal of the forum. So it wasn't politics that killed the forum, but the gradually decreasing number of active spiritually interested members.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I'd love to start skimming the Original Dao site while its still up.  I'm sure there's much gold there, as the OD admin said politics made it darker.  Many of the TB members who migrated there were excellent, eccentric, problematic at times, but they had heart and knowledge.

You will have be quick because the site will soon disappear. It says:

It will remain fully operational (still including the same form of moderation, so it won't be a free for all) until May 7th, so that people can make sure to stay in touch with who they want to, as well as perhaps save some content from here if something was of value to them. If anyone would like to arrange a new forum, of course they are welcome to discuss that here. Then when the 7th hits, I'll take this place down.

• Like 1

: @ralisProbably I didn't even understand your original question about whether my linking of an article on the magnetic pole shifting was related to anthropogenic warming. 

How should I know? Can humans do make the pole shift? Is this correlation or causality? Both opinions alright with me. The outcome, not so much. Wasting energy on political discussions online will not save any energy, neither that of a human, nor that generated by us and running through the cables.

This is just nothing I wish to discuss here or at all, at the moment. Why should I have to?   :-| 

Edited by questionmark

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

At one point Sean did ask those who disagreed with various points to go, but that was then, this is now.  

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

'At one point '  .?     Are you suggesting that they dont apply anymore ?

Yes.  I'm no originalist.  I love Sean's unabashed intolerance of hatred and bullying, his righteous take-no-prisoners bravado.  I'm glad that he's protective of minority groups and historically marginalized folk and doesn't put up with BS.  There's much in his approach that I think is timeless and ought to be carried forth into the future.  But some of what he said, while arguably appropriate for that particular historical moment, no longer makes sense today.  Should liking Trump be a bannable offense? Holding unconventional views on climate change?  Somewhere there's a church-going*, gun-toting **, tobacco-chewing*** Trumpster who wants to argue about whether awakening to a nondual (non)experience of reality comes gradually or suddenly, and I, for one, refuse to stand in her way. 

* Don't you just hate prejudicial generalizations?

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the record I want to state that I don't have any unconventional views on climate change. I simply don't have any views about that on my mind.

Edited by questionmark

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yeah thats right ...... but what has it got to do with the quote of mine you put this info under ?

I am glad that Daobums  are not being weird to each other in the current events / political forum and it is little used .

- but let's  remember I was a previously banned member . . . and allowed back

:huh:

My reply to your post is relevant to this thread.

9 hours ago, Apech said:

I object to the table as well - we don't need extra furniture in here.

Exactly!

I am a minimalist, however @steve makes a good point that the new table could be used to place reports from members instead of acting on them. 
there isn’t any room left on the table we have been using for that function. 

Edited by zerostao

7 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Well guys, I just checked the welcome queue, and it was empty.

Thank you !

9 hours ago, ralis said:

You posted an alleged quote "what if", but I never used those exact words. Why not post the whole quote like most everyone does on this forum? FYI, I can decide on my own how best to use my energy. 

I am not everyone else.

True, you can use your energy however you choose; if it leads to many false assumptions, that is your bizness. 
carry on !

You did read the post by @ilumairen ?

20 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Yes.  I'm no originalist.  I love Sean's unabashed intolerance of hatred and bullying, his righteous take-no-prisoners bravado.  I'm glad that he's protective of minority groups and historically marginalized folk and doesn't put up with BS.  There's much in his approach that I think is timeless and ought to be carried forth into the future.  But some of what he said, while arguably appropriate for that particular historical moment, no longer makes sense today.  Should liking Trump be a bannable offense? Holding unconventional views on climate change?  Somewhere there's a church-going, gun-toting, tobacco-chewing Trumpster who wants to argue about whether awakening to a nondual (non)experience of reality comes gradually or suddenly, and I, for one, refuse to stand in her way. 

Unconventional views on AGW have no basis in science. There are facts and the rest is propaganda BS!!!!

7 minutes ago, zerostao said:

I am not everyone else.

True, you can use your energy however you choose; if it leads to many false assumptions, that is your bizness. 
carry on !

You did read the post by @ilumairen ?

Please post the full quote as opposed to your summation since the so called quote of "what if" is not in my post. I would appreciate it.

I saw ilumairen's post.

Edited by ralis

6 minutes ago, ralis said:

Please post the full quote as opposed to your summation since the so called quote of "what if" is not in my post. I would appreciate it.

I saw ilumairen's post.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, ralis said:

What if hate speech discussion takes place outside of current events? Tolerance for awhile until more than one member reports it? How many? I was told that unless there are reports from several members,  moderation will not happen. In other words, hate speech is an illusion if only  one member reports it? 

One member here in the recent past threatened me with gun violence and when I reported it I was told the threat was in the past and I was far too late on reporting it. Enough with this passive I don't really care attitude that comes with moderation here!!! That attitude has been around this forum for years and it needs to cease and desist! Just because one is on a so called spiritual path doesn't absolve one from social responsibility.

Besides my recent list of transgressions here at the beginning of this thread, bullying needs to be dealt with. Bullying is bullying and a moderation committee to determine/discuss what bullying or any form of hate speech is, fails to solve the problem. Are mods afraid to offend transgressors? I guess welcoming anyone with a penitent attitude is welcome here? The most recent bullying by one member was given a 30 day suspension. 

I volunteered to be a mod awhile back and was told I wasn't cut out to be one. :lol::lol: 

https://www.adl.org/news/press-releases/adl-audit-finds-antisemitic-incidents-in-united-states-reached-all-time-high-in

What are the first to words of your post which leads your essay and sets the tone for it.

I will post in the manner that I choose thank you very much. 

1 minute ago, zerostao said:

What are the first to words of your post which leads your essay and sets the tone for it.

I will post in the manner that I choose thank you very much. 

I have been very busy and I missed what I wrote.

Just now, ralis said:

I have been very busy and I missed what I wrote.

I understand 

Perhaps, ( Hopefully) Original Dao will continue on. It is a good site with some quality content. 
There is room for multiple sites that engage in Daoist, related, dialogue.

Having multiple sites with each having its own vibe, allows for any individual to find the place where they feel most comfortable.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, zerostao said:

I understand 

A lot going on here in New Mexico with a 120k fire about 25 miles NE of town which may threaten one of my clients homes. Another fire West of here just South of the Valles Caldera is about 20k acres. Both fires are in extremely rugged mountains with steep canyons making it difficult to access. Santa Fe is filled with smoke with about 1 mile visibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralis said:

Unconventional views on AGW have no basis in science. There are facts and the rest is propaganda BS!!!!

Nothing on DaoBums has any basis in science except in the political threads!

:lol:

It's ALL propaganda BS!!!

;)

47 minutes ago, ralis said:

A lot going on here in New Mexico with a 120k fire about 25 miles NE of town which may threaten one of my clients homes. Another fire West of here just South of the Valles Caldera is about 20k acres. Both fires are in extremely rugged mountains with steep canyons making it difficult to access. Santa Fe is filled with smoke with about 1 mile visibility. 

Sorry to hear that ralis.

Good luck to you and your neighbors!

_/\_

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zerostao said:

Perhaps, ( Hopefully) Original Dao will continue on. It is a good site with some quality content. 
There is room for multiple sites that engage in Daoist, related, dialogue.

Having multiple sites with each having its own vibe, allows for any individual to find the place where they feel most comfortable.

If you have any ideas on how to revitalize the site let me know, so I can put a link to your advice on Original Dao. There's only a few days left before the Original Dao forum will be gone.