steve

Original Dao Bums

fwiw

It looks like the Original Dao forum will be shutting down soon.

https://www.originaldao.com/viewtopic.php?t=1888

I rarely visited but fondly miss many of its members. There was a lot of emotional reactivity and pain when things fell apart. I wonder if any of our exes would want to return and how people here feel about it? It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would love to see old friends back and would welcome most with very few exceptions.

:wub:

PS - to be clear, I speak as a member only and don't mean to imply any official TDB stance...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm one of the wandering souls at the moment, I don't yet know what to do now Original Dao is closing. Original Dao was a great place to be but unhappily it slowly ran out of spiritual steam. Anyway I greatly appreciate the above post. We will see what happens.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 6

I came from OD too. Thanks again for giving me a PPD here. :) I look forward to enjoying the DB. :wub: 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, steve said:

fwiw

I rarely visited but fondly miss many of its members. There was a lot of emotional reactivity and pain when things fell apart. I wonder if any of our exes would want to return and how people here feel about it? It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would love to see old friends back and would welcome most with very few exceptions.

PS - to be clear, I speak as a member only and don't mean to imply any official TDB stance...

Sean demanded that the right wing types leave and some of them are on the Original Dao. I would think his demands still carry weight here. He spelled it out very clearly! 

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve said:

fwiw

This shows how fragile online communities can be. We here on The Dao Bums are fortunate to still being up and functioning after a few serious existential threats that we have experienced along the way.

The way can be rough and rocky mixed in with slip slides and quicksand. For those out and about wandering looking for a place to rest and enjoy discussions on the way, and understand that being here is a privilege, I say open the gate.

The gate goes two ways and if any fail to show respect for all, there is an exit option.

my two cents paid in bronze Song Dynasty yin yang coins.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I just read the relevant post on Original Dao that Steve referenced: 

Basically the site owner seems to be saying that people with strong political agendas destroyed the possibility of free political discussion. In other words, a great paradox: allowing free speech destroyed the possibility of free speech. I think Dao Bums through trial and error has come a workable compromise with the current setup of having Current Affairs as a closed sub-forum. 

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

For those out and about wandering looking for a place to rest and enjoy discussions on the way, and understand that being here is a privilege, I say open the gate.

The gate goes two ways and if any fail to show respect for all, there is an exit option.

Agreed. I think it's vital that this forum remains open and welcoming to anyone and everyone who respects the discussion protocols this forum has established. Hence there's no way would I welcome back those ex-members with strong opinions who didn’t discuss but rather always came across as trying to knock out anyone who opposed them....Unless they have radically changed, of course....Not just as an act, but from the core of their being. 

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, zerostao said:

This shows how fragile online communities can be. We here on The Dao Bums are fortunate to still being up and functioning after a few serious existential threats that we have experienced along the way.

The way can be rough and rocky mixed in with slip slides and quicksand. For those out and about wandering looking for a place to rest and enjoy discussions on the way, and understand that being here is a privilege, I say open the gate.

my two cents paid in bronze Song Dynasty yin yang coins.

How long does it take this time after myriad reports of fascism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, degrading persons of color, Trump speech and so forth. Last time it took years and all my reports were basically ignored during that time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Yueya said:

I just read the relevant post on Original Dao: https://originaldao.com/viewtopic.php?p=34489#p34489

Basically the site owner seems to be saying that people with strong political agendas destroyed the possibility of free political discussion. In other words, a great paradox: allowing free speech destroyed the possibility of free speech. I think Dao Bums through trial and error has come a workable compromise with the current setup of having Current Affairs as a closed sub-forum. 

Agreed. I think it's vital that this forum remains open and welcoming to anyone and everyone who respects the discussion protocols this forum has established. Hence there's no way would I welcome back those ex-members with strong opinions who didn’t discuss but rather always came across as trying to knock out anyone who opposed them....Unless they have radically changed, of course....Not just as an act, but from the core of their being. 

People rarely change and this site is not a proving ground for penance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ralis said:

Sean demanded that the right wing types leave and some of them are on the Original Dao. I would think his demands still carry weight here. He spelled it out very clearly! 

Sometimes, civil wars end. It is always a difficult challenge to remind one another the things we share in common and to look at those qualities rather than the things that can potentially tear us apart and have indeed torn us apart.

@ralis you are an Elder among us in many aspects. You have never wavered in defense of the ideals you believe in. You have fought the good fight. 
There come times when an opportunity for Peace presents itself.

Those rare opportunities should not be rejected.

With the world being in the state of ever expanding hostilities, any step towards Peace carries weight.

In the past you have asked me to be fair and I do try.

Now, I return that same request to you. All we can do is try, the alternative is to not try. Here on The Dao Bums we never not try.

All I ask is for you and all bums to give a fair try. 
I assure you that if any come on board and begin to follow you from thread to thread, with unnecessary trolling, any bullying, any thing less than showing you or any other bum anything less than Respect, they will soon be ushered out the gate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Yueya said:

I just read the relevant post on Original Dao: https://originaldao.com/viewtopic.php?p=34489#p34489

Over on Original Dao, they have a similar set up. We considered their sub-forum model before we installed the same idea here.

So, this will be an area we need to closely monitor.

9 minutes ago, Yueya said:

I appreciate you speaking up on this and it is something that we need to be aware of.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

19 minutes ago, ralis said:

How long does it take this time after myriad reports of fascism, misogyny, anti-Semitism, degrading persons of color, Trump speech and so forth. Last time it took years and all my reports were basically ignored during that time.

These are absolutely valid concerns. I hope I addressed them sufficiently in my above post where I quoted your initial post.

My guess is that you are not alone

as a member here, wondering if some horde of attackers are fast approaching. 

I expect us as a Community to cross those bridges when faced by them. 

I remain open minded towards bridge repair and if we must burn a bridge here or there, may it be to light our way.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steve said:

fwiw

I am saddened that Original Dao may be folding. Some of those members were early members here. And my wish was for Original Dao to flourish into longevity.

• Like 4

On Original Dao political discussions were only allowed in a hidden part of the forum. The discussions on the public part were generally civilized and informative. I understand that in this place also political discussions have now been moved to a special part of the forum?

2 hours ago, wandelaar said:

On Original Dao political discussions were only allowed in a hidden part of the forum. The discussions on the public part were generally civilized and informative. I understand that in this place also political discussions have now been moved to a special part of the forum?

Yes, that is correct.

18 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Yes, that is correct.

Is the political part also hidden here? On Original Dao I deliberately never visited the political part because with all the polarization going on particularly in the US I have grown tired of political debates.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Is the political part also hidden here? On Original Dao I deliberately never visited the political part because with all the polarization going on particularly in the US I have grown tired of political debates.

You would have to request access to that section called Current  Events.

Very few of our members requested access.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Very good! Then I will stay out of it, just as I did on Original Dao.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yueya said:

I just read the relevant post on Original Dao that Steve referenced: 

Yes but according to that post ;

" Political discussion didn't impact the rest of the forum for those who didn't request access to it. But it dominated the site as a whole...of course, that really didn't affect people who didn't see it. "

It seems they where operating the same as DBs in this regard ?

I think the whole thing is a big silly fluff  ... this 'free speech thing '   .  I mean , really ?  People just cant stay focused  on a subject and saying that something is not our subject or focus here is stifling free speech  ?

- you are asking for trouble .

It isnt a problem on my history forum ..... anyone starts anything like that and  ' Sorry , thats not history , thread closed . "  If you persist, you get closed .

How is this stifling free speech when you can go to other political discussion groups ,  and you live in a country that is RIFE with political speech everywhere else .

.... and yes, I'm a bitch about it , not least  because  ....

... we are having an election  .... :(  

22 hours ago, Yueya said:

• Like 6

21 hours ago, zerostao said:

Over on Original Dao, they have a similar set up. We considered their sub-forum model before we installed the same idea here.

So, this will be an area we need to closely monitor.

I appreciate you speaking up on this and it is something that we need to be aware of.

Just getting the story in order here ;

You saw OD separated  politics into sub forum .

You decided to follow that model .

Now its wrecked OD .

... and you welcome any of those people here as long as they behave .

and they can take their politics to DBs sub forum .

- did I get that in order ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, wandelaar said:

It does not bode well .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I still vividly recall the several years of untethered abuse fostered and supported by the group that sean eventually saw and summarily swept away without any hesitation.  For folks to suggest they all be welcomed back kumbaya with open arms is, concerning.  They had their time.  Years of it.  They were banned for the health of this community.  They formed another place and now that is depleted.  This is not surprising. 

After a certain point of maintaining a relationship with an abusive person or group, they are no longer abusing you, but you are fostering the abuse yourself, by allowing them to remain in your life.  There's a need for healthy surgery from time to time. 

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, wandelaar said:

I refuse to have anything to do with that part of the forum here .  I welcome your non political involvement  ......   comrade .

( that last word was a joke  ;) )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zerostao said:

Thank goodness !

I really dont want to know what 'goes on the back room of the club'     .... but glad to hear that  not many are  involved .

So I can probably safely assume that when I come to DBs and its quiet and no posts for a day or two , you arent all in that back room 'being weird ' to each other .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3