Sign in to follow this  
Yonkon

Changing positions during long meditations

Dear Bums,

my meditation sessions are getting longer and longer now. The focus is there, but my body aches after a while.

What is your approach? Just staying with the pain, making it conscious, growing with the pain?

Or is a more gentle approach appropriate? I thought about changing from cross legged sitting into another posting after every 40 minutes. (Maybe my knees or laying on the back?)

Would love to hear your perspectives!

3 hours ago, Yonkon said:

Dear Bums,

my meditation sessions are getting longer and longer now. The focus is there, but my body aches after a while.

What is your approach? Just staying with the pain, making it conscious, growing with the pain?

Or is a more gentle approach appropriate? I thought about changing from cross legged sitting into another posting after every 40 minutes. (Maybe my knees or laying on the back?)

I was taught that if you are meditating for qi development then apart from micro adjustments you should not move.  If the pain becomes unbearable then stop, get up and walk around for a while till it is normalised then restart.

If it is Buddhist meditation such as shamatha then it doesn't matter so much you can move and change posture provided you stay relaxed and continue the practice.

• Like 1

你不應該讓姿勢壓迫你的身體

你的身體應該是順從你的氣

能夠進入深度的禪定才是重點

姿勢從來都不是重點

只是一個下手處

這一點你的老師應該要告訴你

如果你的老師教你的是用你的觀念去壓迫你的姿勢

我勸你最好換一個老師

因為你的老師根本不懂氣脈的原理

You shouldn't let posture pressurize your body

Your body should obey your breath

Being able to enter deep meditation is the key

Posture is never the point

just a starting point

Your teacher should tell you this

If your teacher taught you to use your ideas to oppress your posture

I advise you to change your teacher

Because your teacher doesn't understand the principle of Qi pulse at all

• Like 2

22 hours ago, awaken said:

你不應該讓姿勢壓迫你的身體

你的身體應該是順從你的氣

能夠進入深度的禪定才是重點

姿勢從來都不是重點

只是一個下手處

這一點你的老師應該要告訴你

如果你的老師教你的是用你的觀念去壓迫你的姿勢

我勸你最好換一個老師

因為你的老師根本不懂氣脈的原理

You shouldn't let posture pressurize your body

Your body should obey your breath

Being able to enter deep meditation is the key

Posture is never the point

just a starting point

Your teacher should tell you this

If your teacher taught you to use your ideas to oppress your posture

I advise you to change your teacher

Because your teacher doesn't understand the principle of Qi pulse at all

Cultivating stillness is essential for developing qi awareness and levels.  Small adjustments in posture to balance muscle tension etc. are ok but otherwise the posture should be maintained for the duration of the practice.  This is not about ideas oppressing the body but about subtle alignment.  It's basic.

I generally find that I can sit for an hour without pain. If I want to sit for longer, I get up and do walking meditation for 10 mins, trying to stay with the meditation object during ghat time. Then I go back and sit for longer.

One teacher recommended that the walking meditation be fairly vigorous - at least as much as possible while retaining the object of meditation. In that way, the blood circulation gets going again.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Apech said:

Cultivating stillness is essential for developing qi awareness and levels.  Small adjustments in posture to balance muscle tension etc. are ok but otherwise the posture should be maintained for the duration of the practice.  This is not about ideas oppressing the body but about subtle alignment.  It's basic.

你這個說法不知道從哪裡來的,根據丹道的經典,一向都是陰陽反覆,動靜相輔相成,維持姿勢不動,這是很有問題的練法,不僅不應該鼓勵,還應該告訴人們,這種練法非常傷害身體,不應該如此做

I don’t know where this statement came from. According to the classics of Dan Dao, Yin and Yang have always been repeated, movement and stillness complement each other, and maintaining posture is very problematic. Not only should they not be encouraged, but people should be told that this kind of The practice is very harmful to the body and should not be done

分享一段呂祖黃鶴賦給你

还丹七返,因有动而方有静 。上德者以道全其形,是其纯乾之未破;下德者以术延其命,乃配坎离而方成

強迫身體不動,恐怕連『下德』的層次都不到,完全違反道

Share a piece of Lu Zu Huang He Fu to you

Returning the pill seven times, because there is movement, there is stillness. Those who are of the highest virtue use the Dao to complete their form, and their pureness is not broken; those who are of the lowest virtue extend their lives by means of art, and only when they are separated from the ridges are formed.

Forcing the body to not move, I am afraid that it is not even at the level of "Xiade", which completely violates the Tao

身體不動,是因為能夠立刻入定,像我今天閉眼一兩分鐘之內,我就入定了,然後我以為過去十分鐘,但是當我眼睛張開,九十分鐘過去了,當然這九十分鐘我很清楚我的身體沒有移動,但是這並不是我的練法,而是因為我的內在入定了,才導致我的身體不動。

今天如果我的身體開始行走陽氣,即使我的身體不動,我的內在烏肝也在動,但是這是因為我練了很多年,才有這樣的內化,但是對一個初學者來說,他的氣脈全部都在體表,他就不應該設限自己的身體完全不動,這樣只會傷害自己的身體。

My body doesn't move because I can enter the concentration immediately. For example, I closed my eyes for a minute or two today, and I entered the concentration. Then I thought ten minutes passed, but when I opened my eyes, ninety minutes passed. Of course, the ninety minutes passed. It is very clear that my body is not moving, but this is not my practice, it is because my inner meditation is causing my body to not move.

Today if my body starts to walk with yang energy, even if my body does not move, my inner black liver is also moving, but this is because I have practiced for many years to have such an internalization, but for a beginner, His qi channels are all on the surface of his body, so he shouldn't restrict his body to not move at all, it will only hurt his own body.

即使在佛經當中,可以看到在大般若經,也有許多文字描述佛陀修煉時候的『震動』,還有各種『動』,這都是佛經查詢得到的。

不管是佛經還是丹經,都沒有說過不能動。

Even in the Buddhist scriptures, you can see that in the Great Prajna Sutra, there are many words describing the "vibration" and various "movements" of the Buddha during his cultivation. These are all obtained from the Buddhist scriptures.

Neither the Buddhist scriptures nor the alchemy scriptures said that they could not move.

我在這裡講這些,有一個很大的問題,就是大部分的人修煉的水準都太低了,根本練不到深度入定,完全用後天意識在強迫自己身體不動。

跟這樣的人談論陰陽動靜,真是非常的費力。

因為這些人看不到真正的修煉過程是怎麼回事。

When I talk about this here, there is a big problem, that is, the level of most people's cultivation is too low.

Talking about yin and yang movements with such people is really exhausting.

Because these people can't see what the real cultivation process is all about.

凡打坐者,非形體端然,瞑目合眼,謂之打坐,此假打坐也。十二時辰,行住坐臥,一切動中,心似泰山,不搖不動,把斷四門,眼耳鼻舌口,不令內入外出者,此名真打坐也。能如此者,雖身處塵世,名已列於仙宮,不須遠參,便是肉身聖賢。三年行滿,脫殼登仙,一粒丹成,神遊八極矣。

這段是王重陽講的論打坐,很明確說了,『非形體端然』

Those who meditate are not in an upright body, close their eyes and close their eyes. This is called  fake meditation. At twelve o'clock, walking, standing, sitting, and lying down, while everything is in motion, the mind is like a mountain, not moving, breaking four doors, eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and mouth, and not allowing the inside to go in and out. This is called true meditation. Those who can do this, even though they are in the world, their names are listed in the Immortal Palace, and they do not need to travel far, they are sages in the flesh. After three years of travel, the shell is removed and the immortal is formed, and a pill is formed.

This is Wang Chongyang's talk on meditation,
clearly said,
"It's not the body that doesn't move"

Edited by awaken
  • Wow 1

In Buddhism, most teachers will tell you not to move in sitting practice. That's the same in Theravada or Zen.

I've always found that if I have a compulsion to move, instead of responding to it, I'm better able to enter stillness by first relaxing, observing the thought as it arises and disappears. I find that these are like little tests for the mind. If you relax into the compulsion, don't respond, your mind is more stable when the thought disappears. 

Of course, that's just my understanding from my practice. If you have a teacher, they'll probably be able to give you a better reason.

I'm not sure how it is within daoism, but I've never heard it said before that you should move around, shift weight, scratch an itch etc, whenever you feel like the need.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

In Buddhism, most teachers will tell you not to move in sitting practice. That's the same in Theravada or Zen.

I've always found that if I have a compulsion to move, instead of responding to it, I'm better able to enter stillness by observing the thought as it arises and disappears. I find that these are like little tests for the mind. If you don't respond, your mind is more stable when the thought disappears. 

Of course, that's just my understanding from my practice. If you have a teacher, they'll probably be able to give you a better reason.

I'm not sure how it is within daoism, but I've never heard it said before that you should move around, shift weight, scratch an itch etc, whenever you feel like the need.

我從沒有說過可以四處走動

我說的是,身體不動不是打坐,身體必須配合氣,氣要你動,你就得動,所謂的不動,是你能達到第二禪定以上的程度,但是當你達不到第二禪定的程度,你所謂的不動,只是在傷害自己的身體

I never said one could walk around when meditate

What I am saying is that if the body does not move, it is not meditation. The body must cooperate with the Qi. If the Qi wants you to move, you have to move.
The so-called immobility is that you can reach the level above the second jhāna,
But when you don't reach the level of second jhāna, your so-called immobility is just hurting your own body

當你用不動在壓迫你的身體,不要說第二禪定,你連第一禪定都練不到

When you are pressing your body by fixing your body,
Don't talk about the second jhāna, you can't even reach the first jhāna

當一個初學者,擺好姿勢,等待所謂的入定到來的時候,他就已經走上了歧路了

雙腳痛也只是剛好而已

When a beginner, posing, waiting for the so-called meditation to come, he has gone astray

Pain in feet is just fine

佛經當中四大,地水火風,代表的是身體的各種現象,而身體的動就是『地動』,有各種身體的動,當然如果有所謂的大師把四大解釋成自然現象,那就真的十萬八千里遠了,完全的誤解

這邊我們要知道的,四大就是代表身體的各種現象,地動就是身體動

佛經是有講身體會動的,不是沒講

只是被一堆自以為是的禪師錯解

In the Buddhist scriptures, the four elements, earth, water, fire, and wind, represent various phenomena of the body, and the movement of the body is "earth movement". 108,000 miles away, complete misunderstanding

What we need to know here is that the four elements represent various phenomena of the body, and earth movement is the movement of the body

The Buddhist scriptures say that the body moves, but it does not say that

Just misunderstood by a bunch of self-righteous Zen masters

今天你的程度如果只有第一禪定,你的身體就是會動,這是逃避不了的現實,如果你逃避這個現實,你的身體就會因為被你的腦袋壓迫,產生各種疼痛。

如果你面對這個事實,你順從身體的動,身體動一段時間,就自然會靜下來,這時候才有機會可以進入第二禪定

Today, if your level is only the first meditation, your body will move. This is an unavoidable reality. If you escape this reality, your body will be oppressed by your head and will cause various pains.

If you face this fact, you obey the movement of the body, and when the body moves for a period of time, it will naturally calm down, and only then will there be a chance to enter the second meditation.

同樣的,在注意力的方面,第一禪定也是『有尋有伺』,注意力跟身體一樣,是可以移動的。

在第一禪定的狀態,你就是得順從這樣的力量,或者稱之為現實狀況。

當你順從這樣的力量的時候,你不去抗拒這些動,到了一個極限,自然會轉變

不只是身體的轉變,同樣注意力也會轉變,從『有尋有伺』會轉變成『無尋無伺』,然後進入第二禪定

Similarly, in the aspect of attention, the first meditation is also "seeking and attending". Attention, like the body, can be moved.

In the state of the first jhāna you have to submit to such a force, or reality.

When you submit to such a force, you do not resist these movements. When you reach a limit, you will naturally change.

Not only the change of the body, but also the change of the attention, from "there is no search" to "no search", and then enter the second jhāna

我在這邊呼籲受到誤導的新人,你最好做個決定,是要天天跟你的疼痛作戰?還是要來跟我學習真正的禪定,體會如何從第一禪定,轉變到第二禪定,甚至第三,第四禪定的狀態?

I'm here to appeal to the misguided newcomers, you better make a decision, are you going to fight your pain every day? Or do you want to come and learn the real meditation with me, how to experience how to change from the first meditation, to the second meditation, or even the third or fourth state of meditation?

我希望有人能夠來跟我學習,身體力行,證明進入深度禪定的正確方式

當然也跟這裡堅持不動的人證明

I hope someone can come and learn from me, practice it, and prove the right way to enter deep meditation

Of course, it also proves to those who persist here.

Edited by awaken
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, awaken said:

你這個說法不知道從哪裡來的,根據丹道的經典,一向都是陰陽反覆,動靜相輔相成,維持姿勢不動,這是很有問題的練法,不僅不應該鼓勵,還應該告訴人們,這種練法非常傷害身體,不應該如此做

I don’t know where this statement came from. According to the classics of Dan Dao, Yin and Yang have always been repeated, movement and stillness complement each other, and maintaining posture is very problematic. Not only should they not be encouraged, but people should be told that this kind of The practice is very harmful to the body and should not be done

分享一段呂祖黃鶴賦給你

还丹七返,因有动而方有静 。上德者以道全其形,是其纯乾之未破;下德者以术延其命,乃配坎离而方成

強迫身體不動,恐怕連『下德』的層次都不到,完全違反道

Share a piece of Lu Zu Huang He Fu to you

Returning the pill seven times, because there is movement, there is stillness. Those who are of the highest virtue use the Dao to complete their form, and their pureness is not broken; those who are of the lowest virtue extend their lives by means of art, and only when they are separated from the ridges are formed.

Forcing the body to not move, I am afraid that it is not even at the level of "Xiade", which completely violates the Tao

身體不動,是因為能夠立刻入定,像我今天閉眼一兩分鐘之內,我就入定了,然後我以為過去十分鐘,但是當我眼睛張開,九十分鐘過去了,當然這九十分鐘我很清楚我的身體沒有移動,但是這並不是我的練法,而是因為我的內在入定了,才導致我的身體不動。

今天如果我的身體開始行走陽氣,即使我的身體不動,我的內在烏肝也在動,但是這是因為我練了很多年,才有這樣的內化,但是對一個初學者來說,他的氣脈全部都在體表,他就不應該設限自己的身體完全不動,這樣只會傷害自己的身體。

My body doesn't move because I can enter the concentration immediately. For example, I closed my eyes for a minute or two today, and I entered the concentration. Then I thought ten minutes passed, but when I opened my eyes, ninety minutes passed. Of course, the ninety minutes passed. It is very clear that my body is not moving, but this is not my practice, it is because my inner meditation is causing my body to not move.

Today if my body starts to walk with yang energy, even if my body does not move, my inner black liver is also moving, but this is because I have practiced for many years to have such an internalization, but for a beginner, His qi channels are all on the surface of his body, so he shouldn't restrict his body to not move at all, it will only hurt his own body.

即使在佛經當中,可以看到在大般若經,也有許多文字描述佛陀修煉時候的『震動』,還有各種『動』,這都是佛經查詢得到的。

不管是佛經還是丹經,都沒有說過不能動。

Even in the Buddhist scriptures, you can see that in the Great Prajna Sutra, there are many words describing the "vibration" and various "movements" of the Buddha during his cultivation. These are all obtained from the Buddhist scriptures.

Neither the Buddhist scriptures nor the alchemy scriptures said that they could not move.

我在這裡講這些,有一個很大的問題,就是大部分的人修煉的水準都太低了,根本練不到深度入定,完全用後天意識在強迫自己身體不動。

跟這樣的人談論陰陽動靜,真是非常的費力。

因為這些人看不到真正的修煉過程是怎麼回事。

When I talk about this here, there is a big problem, that is, the level of most people's cultivation is too low.

Talking about yin and yang movements with such people is really exhausting.

Because these people can't see what the real cultivation process is all about.

凡打坐者,非形體端然,瞑目合眼,謂之打坐,此假打坐也。十二時辰,行住坐臥,一切動中,心似泰山,不搖不動,把斷四門,眼耳鼻舌口,不令內入外出者,此名真打坐也。能如此者,雖身處塵世,名已列於仙宮,不須遠參,便是肉身聖賢。三年行滿,脫殼登仙,一粒丹成,神遊八極矣。

這段是王重陽講的論打坐,很明確說了,『非形體端然』

Those who meditate are not in an upright body, close their eyes and close their eyes. This is called  fake meditation. At twelve o'clock, walking, standing, sitting, and lying down, while everything is in motion, the mind is like a mountain, not moving, breaking four doors, eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and mouth, and not allowing the inside to go in and out. This is called true meditation. Those who can do this, even though they are in the world, their names are listed in the Immortal Palace, and they do not need to travel far, they are sages in the flesh. After three years of travel, the shell is removed and the immortal is formed, and a pill is formed.

This is Wang Chongyang's talk on meditation,
clearly said,
"It's not the body that doesn't move"

I think you are a little confused - but I have said my piece so that is that.

1 minute ago, Apech said:

I think you are a little confused - but I have said my piece so that is that.

我不是對你一個人說話,這是一個論壇,一個論點的闡述,不見得是針對特定一個人

我希望你也能做到這點

I'm not talking to you alone, this is a forum, an exposition of an argument, not necessarily for a specific person

I hope you can do the same

堅持不動的論點,並非是你一個人單獨所特有的論點

而是許多宗派所堅持的論點

當然枉顧自然現象,選擇和大多數的宗派站在一起,是比較有安全感

但是基於現實,我們應該要面對真相,而不是選擇蒙蔽自己的良心和雙眼

An argument that holds firm, not an argument unique to you alone

but the argument held by many denominations

Of course, in ignorance of natural phenomena, choosing to stand with most sects is more secure.

But based on reality, we should face the truth instead of choosing to blind our conscience and eyes

當然我不是說你蒙蔽自己的良心和雙眼

我是說當我看見真相是什麼的時候

我不可能去做一個蒙蔽自己良心和雙眼的人

Of course I'm not saying you blind your conscience and your eyes

I mean when I see what the truth is

I can't be a person who blinds my conscience and eyes

• Like 1

比丘!彼眼者是肉形,是內,是因緣,是堅,是受,是名眼肉形內地界。
  比丘!若眼肉形,若內,若因緣,津澤,是受,是名眼肉形內水界。
  比丘!若彼眼肉形,若內,若因緣,明暖,是受,是名眼肉形內火界。
  比丘!若彼眼肉形,若內,若因緣,輕飄搖,是受,是名眼肉形內風界。Bhikkhu! The eye is flesh-shaped, inner, causal, firm, and feeling, which is called the inner boundary of the flesh-shaped eye.
Bhikkhu! If the eye is in the form of flesh, if it is inside, if it is caused by causation, it is feeling, it is called the inner water element in the form of eye and flesh.
Bhikkhu! If the eye is in the form of flesh, if it is inside, if it is causal, it is bright and warm, it is feeling, it is called the fire realm in the eye and flesh.
Bhikkhu! If the eye is in the shape of the flesh, if it is inside, if it is caused by causation, it floats and shakes lightly, it is feeling, it is called the eye-flesh-shaped inner wind realm.

https://agama.buddhason.org/SA/SAsearch1.php?str=動&path=SA0273.htm

雜阿含經是有提到一些身體的覺受,包含流口水,發暖,動搖等等

這些都是第一禪定會出現的基本現象,我希望當你說出堅持不動的話之前,是否要思考一下,自己是否有達到過第一禪定的狀態?

如果沒有,僅僅是一個初學者的角度來講,是否是以盲導盲?

The Miscellaneous Ahan Sutra mentions some bodily sensations, including drooling, warmth, shaking, etc.

These are the basic phenomena that will appear in the first meditation. I hope that before you say the words of perseverance, do you need to think about whether you have reached the state of the first meditation?

If not, from a beginner's point of view, is it a blind guide?

這十千世間界震、搖、顫,無量偉大的光明出現於世間,勝過了諸天眾的天威。

These ten thousand worlds trembled, shook, and trembled, and immeasurable and great light appeared in the world, surpassing the power of the heavens.

https://agama.buddhason.org/SA/SAsearch1.php?str=動&path=SA0379.htm

這段雖然被記錄成了天地間的震動,但是我們知道佛經是以一種回憶錄的方式紀錄的,以回憶的方式紀錄各種事件,難免有誤解。

但是從這段我們可以看到,這和第一禪定的動,和第二禪定的光,是符合的。

當然如果有初學者願意來體驗,什麼是第一禪定的動,第二禪定的光,那我也很願意教你

Although this passage was recorded as a tremor between heaven and earth, we know that Buddhist scriptures are recorded in the form of memoirs, and various events are recorded in the form of recollections, and misunderstandings are inevitable.

But from this passage we can see that this is consistent with the movement of the first jhāna and the light of the second jhāna.

Of course, if there are beginners who are willing to come and experience, what is the movement of the first meditation and the light of the second meditation, then I am also very willing to teach you

Edited by awaken

@Apech@awaken@Vajra Fist

Thank you for your perspectives!

Intuitively speaking, reducing movement makes sense. But when it hurts badly, i don't want to force it.

This is a position that feels good to me even for longer periods. Are there some downsides when you meditate like this and not in lotus position?

sitting-chair.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 5:30 AM, Yonkon said:

Dear Bums,

There are a lot of variables to consider like - what you practice, how long you've been at it, age, physical condition, how stable is your mind, and so forth. My approach with beginners and intermediate students is that they should first learn how to sit in a proper posture. This is a posture that allows one to sit upright such that there is stability with minimal physical movement or exertion and the ability to be open, breath deeply and smoothly, and fully rest the body and mind for as long as possible. Proper posture is something that requires a process of  personal exploration, discovery and mastery - sounds simple but can be elusive. 

I recommend you allow yourself to move as needed to minimize distraction associated with physical pain. This is in part to protect the physical body from injury but mostly because if you have not yet found a stable and sustainable posture you are unlikely to have reached a point where your meditation can embrace, accommodate, and transcend physical pain without being distracted. Movements should be minimized, infrequent, and not something to occupy the mind or inner voice during practice. Alternating periods of sitting with walking or standing meditation can be helpful if you have had some instruction in this. 

Over time the mind's ability to remain connected to the object of meditation, to remain undisturbed and fully rest will improve. As this occurs the body will naturally become less of a source of disturbance. I suggest you experiment with the physical sensations of discomfort during practice. How do you deal with it as it arises? Can you focus on the sensations as the object of meditation? Just rest your attention there, feeling what is present in the moment fully, stay with it for a time. I suggest exploring what happens internally as you do this - do thoughts come up, fears, memories, expectations, etc...? Does the pain stay in one place, does it move? Are you judgmental, impatient, or caring and loving towards this challenge and that aspect of you that is experiencing it? Take time and recognize this as part of the process of getting to know your mind and body and how they connect and interact more fully, this is meditation. Eventually you will find physical discomfort will come and go and will be less and less a source of distraction. 

There are those that are more militaristic in their approach, like the Goenka group for example. Posture must be immovable and rigid. All movement is strongly discouraged. I do think this approach can work for some but should only be considered if you are under direct, expert supervision. If you are working with a teacher, follow their guidance. If not, I suggest a more gentle, patient, and flexible approach with yourself. 

Sitting in a chair can be very effective. If that works for you that is great. There are some advantages if you are able to sit in a cross legged posture, provided the posture is stable and sustainable. It tends to offer more stability and some would offer that there are energetic advantages to things like, crossed legs, half lotus and lotus postures, not to mention tongue position and hand mudras. If sitting in a chair consider crossing the legs at the ankles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, steve said:

Sitting in a chair can be very effective. If that works for you that is great. There are some advantages if you are able to sit in a cross legged posture, provided the posture is stable and sustainable. It tends to offer more stability and some would offer that there are energetic advantages to things like, crossed legs, half lotus and lotus postures, not to mention tongue position and hand mudras. If sitting in a chair consider crossing the legs at the ankles. 

Wait ... wot?  Why?

40 minutes ago, Apech said:

Wait ... wot?  Why?

Why not?

😁

I very rarely practice formal meditation on a chair. Once in retreat, the gompa was so crowded everyone had to sit in chairs. My teacher talked a bit about seated meditation posture in a chair vs cushion. One of the things he suggested was crossing the feet at the ankles. He mentioned some energetic benefits, though he didn’t get into details, and enhanced stability. I tried both (feet crossed vs resting flat on the floor) over the course of the week and found ankles crossed to be more comfortable and stable for me. I feel it is in part related to the opening of the hips which promotes energetic circulation, contact at the ankles which promotes retention over grounding and dispersal, as well as shifting the body weight from the feet and thighs to the bottom, better supporting the spine axis. Just my personal experience and musings, feet flat on the floor counter-intuitively feels less supportive and stable for me. I was surprised at this. It also depends on the height of the chair and tilt and shape of the seat. I suggest experimenting with both and finding what works best.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, steve said:

Why not?

😁

I very rarely practice formal meditation on a chair. Once in retreat, the gompa was so crowded everyone had to sit in chairs. My teacher talked a bit about seated meditation posture in a chair vs cushion. One of the things he suggested was crossing the feet at the ankles. He mentioned some energetic benefits, though he didn’t get into details, and enhanced stability. I tried both (feet crossed vs resting flat on the floor) over the course of the week and found ankles crossed to be more comfortable and stable for me. I feel it is in part related to the opening of the hips which promotes energetic circulation, contact at the ankles which promotes retention over grounding and dispersal, as well as shifting the body weight from the feet and thighs to the bottom, better supporting the spine axis. Just my personal experience and musings, feet flat on the floor counter-intuitively feels less supportive and stable for me. I was surprised at this. It also depends on the height of the chair and tilt and shape of the seat. I suggest experimenting with both and finding what works best.

never heard of that before - usually people sit as in the photo posted above but with the chin a bit more gently slightly tucked in to flex the cervical vertebrae.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this