Bindi

Differences between dualism and non-dualism

7 minutes ago, old3bob said:

mankind has a degree of will, will which can be used for good or evil as in with universal dharma or against it,  animals and most creatures of mother nature as far as I know can not go against such dharma or ways.   

I am glad you qualified that with animals (which  we are) and most creatures of Mother Nature have to react based upon  our instincts?

1 hour ago, natural said:

Is that a typical reaction?

By both people and injured animals?

I have lost count of the dog, cat, snake,rodent, insect  bites or scratches I have undertaken, / not suffered?

Physical suffering is not separate from the emotional pain is that what you are saying?

I will add to the bite category, a black widow bite on my left butt cheek, and a brown recluse bite to my left leg. 

Edited by ralis

I had an encounter with a 6' Western Diamond Back rattlesnake a few years ago. If I follow the no self logic then if I was bitten and had a realization of no self, all is well? 

1 minute ago, ralis said:

Physical suffering is not separate from the emotional pain is that what you are saying?

No, sadly not!

I have without intent caused physical suffering.

Tripping for example over an animal and shown regret orally by my words as well verbally thru my actions and seen less discomfort than if I did not acknowledge it thru my words or actions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, natural said:

No, sadly not!

I have without intent caused physical suffering.

Tripping for example over an animal and shown regret orally by my words as well verbally thru my actions and seen less discomfort than if I did not acknowledge it thru my words or actions.

So physical and emotional are intertwined?

4 minutes ago, ralis said:

I had an encounter with a 6' Western Diamond Back rattlesnake a few years ago. If I follow the no self logic then if I was bitten and had a realization of no self, all is well? 

I have been snake bit typically not venomous, but still able to cause infection... no fun not reccomended!

3 hours ago, natural said:

Excuse me but how does "non-verbal" elements include symbols,.

How are metaphors and or examples of behavior non verbal?

As opposed to oral?

I realize it is a bit of nit picking, but it helps my understanding!

Symbols like a crystal ball, the sky, a candle flame, and the sun evoke understanding in me that are not linked to words and border on non-conceptual. Metaphor is verbal, my mistake, but examples can be visual, or refer us to non-verbal experiences such as the feeling of warmth we remember as a child when our mother hugged us and made us feel safe and loved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, natural said:

I have been snake bit typically not venomous, but still able to cause infection... no fun not reccomended!

In my younger years I would climb down into Alamo Canyon in the middle of the night with no moon or flashlight. The rattle snake encounter was in the same area. Really freaked me out!

2 minutes ago, natural said:

In IMHO yes!

Some here don't share that view at all.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, ralis said:

In my younger years I would climb down into Alamo Canyon in the middle of the night with no moon or flashlight. The rattle snake encounter was in the same area. Really freaked me out!

I can identify with that!

Those days are long behind me...

I can identify with that!

Those days are long behind me...

Alamo Canyon is around 800' deep, but not all cliffs. It was fun to scurry up and down the cliffs in the middle of the night, but what was interesting is I had some sort of night vision after a time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ralis said:

Alamo Canyon is around 800' deep, but not all cliffs. It was fun to scurry up and down the cliffs in the middle of the night, but what was interesting is I had some sort of night vision after a time. 

Puts me in mind of Carlos Castaneda and Don Juan running around in the chaparral at night.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ralis said:

So physical and emotional are intertwined?

3 minutes ago, ralis said:

Some here don't share that view at all.

Thanks

Yeah right, try that on some one with broken bones or other serious trauma.

Mind over matter only goes so far for some of us.....

I am a non card carrying member of the great unwashed masses, I continue to struggle and shuffle every day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve said:

Puts me in mind of Carlos Castaneda and Don Juan running around in the chaparral at night.

Exactly! For some reason I developed night vision to the always present subtle light. It is not pitch black at all.

I wouldn't recommend it given that Western Diamond Backs tend to be aggressive and territorial.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ralis said:

Exactly! For some reason I developed night vision to the always present subtle light. It is not pitch black at all.

I wouldn't recommend it given that Western Diamond Backs tend to be aggressive and territorial.

And I am told attracted to heat!

Many years ago...

somewhere in Texas...

I was both warned and shocked at the number of snakes whom frequented the asphalt runway at night, to enjoy the heat...

1 hour ago, natural said:

Yeah right, try that on some one with broken bones or other serious trauma.

Mind over matter only goes so far for some of us.....

I am a non card carrying member of the great unwashed masses, I continue to struggle and shuffle every day.

I remember reading about Sri Aurobindo's broken leg from a soccer game. As great of a yogi as he was he couldn't stop the suffering and pain. Opium probably worked just fine since it is plentiful in that part of the world.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

Fire cloud as seen from Taos NM. My point is that planet earth is in the real world and not some no self illusion. Homes and animal habitat destroyed.

NYVSWDUJSVEULAGOZF3RLDCAAE.jpg

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1

Fire cloud?

That is what I call it, but technically a pyrocumulus cloud. Looks nuclear and is amazing what nature unleashes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

If you get bit by a poisonous snake you might die but, given a sufficiently expanded perspective, you won't mind.

I am old school....

One is borne

One will suffer

and One will die

Interupt with as many happy times as possible in between!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralis said:

This particular fire is an out of control prescribed burn. Another example of human stupidity.

it hurts so much to see how humans pillage and burn our mother earth

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, ralis said:

I agree liminal luke’s answer is the correct nondual answer. 

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

If you get bit by a poisonous snake you might die but, given a sufficiently expanded perspective, you won't mind.

Preferring life to death is sooo dual. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

somehow this reminds me of Stranger in a strange land from Heinlein

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1