Eduardo

Mantra Yoga

40 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Is it possible to achieve liberation through a mantra?

No "thing" can cause liberation. Liberation is a result of realization alone. Mantras can and do work on re-patterning and stilling our minds. Mantra literally means that which takes one beyond the mind. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2022 at 6:17 PM, Eduardo said:

Is it possible to achieve liberation through a mantra?

I know of a female enlightened master named Shivayogini Matha (1923-1981) from Kerala, India whose sadhana or spiritual practice was chanting the Panchakshari mantra 'Om Namah Shivaya.'  This mantra is considered to be the most potent mantra in Hinduism and also the favourite mantra of the Avatars.

Shivayogini Matha was very punctual and precise in the chanting of this mantra from youth. Due to her numerous illnesses at youth including cancer, doctors had given the grim prognosis of a short life for her.

Shivayogini Matha had stated that her grave diseases at youth were her Guru, as it made her mind focus and prioritize spiritual development. Her faith in the mantra and diligent practice enabled her to outlive the grim prognosis of her doctor, and he similarly stated the same , attributing her healing to her faith.

She continued with her mantra chanting practice under the guidance of her Guru, and eventually attained enlightenment.

She chanted the mantra during her days of sadhana, perceiving it as a flame of lamp consecrated in her heart (in her own words).

Hrtpadma karnika madhye, sthira dipa nibhakrtim I
angustha matram, acalam, dhyayed om karam Tsvaram II

One should contemplate on "om" as Isvara in the heart
resembling an unflickering flame. — Dhyana Bindu Upanisad, XIX

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

I know of a female enlightened master named Shivayogini Matha (1923-1981) from Kerala, India whose sadhana or spiritual practice was chanting the Panchakshari mantra 'Om Namah Shivaya.'  This mantra is considered to be the most potent mantra in Hinduism and also the favourite mantra of the Avatars.

Shivayogini Matha was very punctual and precise in the chanting of this mantra from youth. Due to her numerous illnesses at youth including cancer, doctors had given the grim prognosis of a short life for her.

Shivayogini Matha had stated that her grave diseases at youth were her Guru, as it made her mind focus and prioritize spiritual development. Her faith in the mantra and diligent practice enabled her to outlive the grim prognosis of her doctor, and he similarly stated the same , attributing her healing to her faith.

She continued with her mantra chanting practice under the guidance of her Guru, and eventually attained enlightenment.

She chanted the mantra during her days of sadhana, perceiving it as a flame of lamp consecrated in her heart (in her own words).

Hrtpadma karnika madhye, sthira dipa nibhakrtim I
angustha matram, acalam, dhyayed om karam Tsvaram II

One should contemplate on "om" as Isvara in the heart
resembling an unflickering flame. — Dhyana Bindu Upanisad, XIX

That is the point, there are mantras to achieve enlightenment and liberation. The best known are the following:
a. Om Namah Sivaya
b. Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya
c. Om Namo Narayana

Even in the Yogasutra of Patanjali there is talk of the repetition of the Pranava OM as a way to achieve liberation.

Two direct benefits come from the proper practice of the OM mantra:

1. Obstacles will be removed
2. It is a direct route to self-realization.

• Like 1

Look up the long Gayatri mantra and attempt that for a full mala of 108 repetitions, or ten malas in one sitting.

When you have done that, I will have more to comment.

And no, it is not the short more commonly taught Om Bhu Bhuvaswaha Tat Savitur Varenyam Bhargo Devasya Dimhahi Dhiyo Yonaha Prachodayat--this is the short mantra that only goes from root to solar plexus. The long one is 23-syllables and goes all the way to the crown and beyond.

OM BHUR, OM BHUVAHA, OM SWAHA, OM MAHA, OM JANAHA, OM TAPAHA, OM SATYAM OM TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM, BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI DHIYO YONAHA PRACHODAYAT.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Eduardo said:

Even in the Yogasutra of Patanjali there is talk of the repetition of the Pranava OM as a way to achieve liberation.

The long Om is not a mantra practice in itself - there is much more going on under the surface. It is the method provided in the Mandukya Upanishad and with the associated instruction and understanding, it will help in realization. 

On 5/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Earl Grey said:

Look up the long Gayatri mantra and attempt that for a full mala of 108 repetitions, or ten malas in one sitting.

When you have done that, I will have more to comment.

And no, it is not the short more commonly taught Om Bhu Bhuvaswaha Tat Savitur Varenyam Bhargo Devasya Dimhahi Dhiyo Yonaha Prachodayat--this is the short mantra that only goes from root to solar plexus. The long one is 23-syllables and goes all the way to the crown and beyond.

OM BHUR, OM BHUVAHA, OM SWAHA, OM MAHA, OM JANAHA, OM TAPAHA, OM SATYAM OM TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM, BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI DHIYO YONAHA PRACHODAYAT.

Might attempt the 108 malas as I am confined to my bed for the next few days.

Here is a good video to follow along with and hear the proper pronounciation:

Edit: Actually just listen to this first for the pronunciation but don't follow the video while you do it, much easier to do it at your own pace following the text @Earl Grey provided. Just use mala beads to keep count if you have them (or use a mala app like me if you don't have any :lol:

Edited by Pak_Satrio
  • Like 1

Ok so just did 1 mala (108 repetitions) seated cross legged with my eyes open to read the text. Obviously a lot of mispronunciations and mistakes since its my first time but from what I gather it's very similar to stillness meditation, and maybe an even more effective way of stilling the mind and emptying all thoughts as you are too focused on repeating the mantra to be able to think of anything else. When I started I felt the vibration of my voice in my throat, but towards the end it felt like the vibration went all the way down to my root chakra area. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Ok so just did 1 mala (108 repetitions) seated cross legged with my eyes open to read the text. Obviously a lot of mispronunciations and mistakes since its my first time but from what I gather it's very similar to stillness meditation, and maybe an even more effective way of stilling the mind and emptying all thoughts as you are too focused on repeating the mantra to be able to think of anything else. When I started I felt the vibration of my voice in my throat, but towards the end it felt like the vibration went all the way down to my root chakra area. 

Oh, you won't believe the things I've experienced doing it...especially when I'd do it in dreams and everyone in the dream would react to it. Fall off a building, do it before hitting the ground, and end up floating inches above, safely, while the building I'm on rotates and floats in the air and people come to talk to me.

Do it in a plane about to crash and everyone is saved, and then I float up and fly away from the plane.

I've also had people approach me at the airport or while getting a foot massage ask me if I'm doing that mantra even if I'm doing it silently in my mind as they tell me my eyes "kind of glow".

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Oh, you won't believe the things I've experienced doing it...especially when I'd do it in dreams and everyone in the dream would react to it. Fall off a building, do it before hitting the ground, and end up floating inches above, safely, while the building I'm on rotates and floats in the air and people come to talk to me.

Do it in a plane about to crash and everyone is saved, and then I float up and fly away from the plane.

I've also had people approach me at the airport or while getting a foot massage ask me if I'm doing that mantra even if I'm doing it silently in my mind as they tell me my eyes "kind of glow".

Interesting, will have to memorise it so I can do it the next time I lucid dream.

I've found my eyes have been glowing a lot recently from my other practices, will see if this makes them glow more!