looschmaster

Electric feeling during meditation

When I meditate, I get this hard-to-describe feeling in the back of my head/neck/spine. It is the same feeling I get when I listen to some really good music, I see a really beautiful sight, or I read a heart-moving story. It is a physical sensation, and it feels like a slow-moving energetic presence rolling through my body. Typically, it starts at the back of my head and moves gradually down my neck/back. It reminds me of electricity (though I'm not exactly sure why), and it feels good. Sometimes when the feeling is strong I am moved to tears. As it travels through my head it is often accompanied by a rushing sensation in my ears. I am somewhat able to control the feeling in that I can summon it with certain breathing patterns and visualization exercises, but my control of it is inconsistent and oftentimes the energy comes through spontaneously.

What is this feeling? Is it Kundalini or prana or something like that? What should I do from here in my meditation practice? I'm sorry if these questions are misguided or broad, but I appreciate any responses.

• Like 1

Keep meditating and lowering the inner shields of tension and fear, you will find that a circular magnetic field forms around your body and head area, just as described in the illustrations of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, I personally think it is, indeed an expression of Kundalini energy.

However, all these experiences are only external, the central thing, the only thing that matters is the calm and purity in which the meditator settles, where neither fears nor desires are formed.

That is true natural mind-awareness-bliss.

• Like 1

這種電的感覺稱為氣感。

這不是Kundalini。

這是小藥。

Kundalini是大藥。

性質完全不同

This electrical sensation is called qi sensation.

This is not Kundalini.

This is a small medicine.

Kundalini is big medicine.

completely different nature

• Like 1

To the OP -

Don’t meditate to arouse kundalini. Meditate to settle/still your mind. Whatever sensations arise, acknowledge and let them go deeper into the meditation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate any help.

2 hours ago, dwai said:

To the OP -

Don’t meditate to arouse kundalini. Meditate to settle/still your mind. Whatever sensations arise, acknowledge and let them go deeper into the meditation. 

You know, I was thinking that recently too. Before, when these energy sensations would be aroused, I found myself focusing on sensation and trying to manipulate it instead of focusing on stilling the mind. But recently I tried to ignore the sensations and focus on clearing my thoughts. I found that the sensations eventually went away and I became drowsy, almost like I was in a hypnagogic state.

Recently something else new has occurred in my meditations. Ever since I was very young, I have been able to feel a pressure in my forehead when I concentrate on the area or meditate. Recently I have also begun feeling a pressure in my nose. Sometimes the pressure in the nose and the pressure in the forehead occur at the same time, but other times it seems like the pressure in the forehead goes away and the pressure in the nose appears. Maybe these are all just superfluous physical distractions, but I find them interesting. Does anyone here know what these pressures are?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, looschmaster said:

You know, I was thinking that recently too. Before, when these energy sensations would be aroused, I found myself focusing on sensation and trying to manipulate it instead of focusing on stilling the mind. But recently I tried to ignore the sensations and focus on clearing my thoughts. I found that the sensations eventually went away and I became drowsy, almost like I was in a hypnagogic state.

Recently something else new has occurred in my meditations. Ever since I was very young, I have been able to feel a pressure in my forehead when I concentrate on the area or meditate. Recently I have also begun feeling a pressure in my nose. Sometimes the pressure in the nose and the pressure in the forehead occur at the same time, but other times it seems like the pressure in the forehead goes away and the pressure in the nose appears. Maybe these are all just superfluous physical distractions, but I find them interesting. Does anyone here know what these pressures are?

那些壓力是你身上的氣,想要在頭上開一個洞,就像煙囪一樣。

但是你不能硬衝。

你只能透過恍惚放鬆,才能真正打開頭頂上的竅。

當你頭頂上的竅打開的時候,你會感受到你的頭頂好像被打開了一個大洞。

氣可以透過你的頭頂進出。

Those pressures are Qi in you, wanting to make a hole in your head, like a chimney.

But you can't punch hard.

You can only truly open the orifice above your head by relaxing in a trance.

When the orifice on the top of your head opens, you will feel as if a big hole has been opened on the top of your head.

Qi can flow in and out through the top of your head.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, awaken said:

那些壓力是你身上的氣,想要在頭上開一個洞,就像煙囪一樣。

但是你不能硬衝。

你只能透過恍惚放鬆,才能真正打開頭頂上的竅。

當你頭頂上的竅打開的時候,你會感受到你的頭頂好像被打開了一個大洞。

氣可以透過你的頭頂進出。

Those pressures are Qi in you, wanting to make a hole in your head, like a chimney.

But you can't punch hard.

You can only truly open the orifice above your head by relaxing in a trance.

When the orifice on the top of your head opens, you will feel as if a big hole has been opened on the top of your head.

Qi can flow in and out through the top of your head.

謝謝你的回复。你能推荐一些帶倆這種恍惚的練習嗎?

1 hour ago, looschmaster said:

Until your 3rd eye and crown open, there will be pressure. The only way to deal with it is to relax more. Or have someone open it up for you (if you have a good teacher).

If your meditation involves watching the breath, then simply stay with your breath -- keep taking your mind back to your breath every time it gets distracted. you cannot will your mind to become still -- it becomes still if you avoid distractions. That is why repetitive work is useful - a simple thing like observing your breath. Also, don't try to do too much -- if you are able to stay 10 minutes without any distractions (or minimal distract), slowly add more sitting time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwai said:

Until your 3rd eye and crown open, there will be pressure. The only way to deal with it is to relax more. Or have someone open it up for you (if you have a good teacher).

If your meditation involves watching the breath, then simply stay with your breath -- keep taking your mind back to your breath every time it gets distracted. you cannot will your mind to become still -- it becomes still if you avoid distractions. That is why repetitive work is useful - a simple thing like observing your breath. Also, don't try to do too much -- if you are able to stay 10 minutes without any distractions (or minimal distract), slowly add more sitting time. 

I see, thank you. I will try to relax and avoid distractions in my future meditations, without getting carried away by the various sensations and pressures. I will also try to keep my point of focus on my lower abdomen as Pak_Satrio suggested I do. I understand that awaken seems to be against this kind of practice but I want to try it out to see what happens. I typically meditate for at least 10-15 minutes each day, though how much of it is "real meditation" I'm not sure.

• Like 2

Your way of meditating is very close to mine, your reactions and sensations are very similar to my personal experiences.

You should approach kriya yoga since you are naturally trying to open the pineal center, called ajna, I don't think that the meditative systems focused mainly on qi can clear up your doubts, the most sensible thing is that you explore the yogic traditions.

I suggest that you practice Ham-Sa japa as a form prior to meditation, as it can help to deepen the meditative experience, but you should urgently seek a kriya yoga teacher, since your experiences can be better understood by masters of kriya yoga.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, looschmaster said:

I see, thank you. I will try to relax and avoid distractions in my future meditations, without getting carried away by the various sensations and pressures. I will also try to keep my point of focus on my lower abdomen as Pak_Satrio suggested I do. I understand that awaken seems to be against this kind of practice but I want to try it out to see what happens. I typically meditate for at least 10-15 minutes each day, though how much of it is "real meditation" I'm not sure.

If that is your approach, I’d strongly recommend reading chapter 2 and 3 is this book - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY1QDML/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_QK74J6438JZ57JR3SM9Z

9 hours ago, looschmaster said:

謝謝你的回复。你能推荐一些帶倆這種恍惚的練習嗎?

我在這裡寫了超過一千五百篇文章,應該足夠你看上好幾個月

I've written over 1,500 articles here, which should be enough to keep you entertained for months

恍惚不是一種單獨的練習

恍惚是一種自然現象

會出現在整場練習的後半段

道家的練習就是陰陽反覆

單獨練陰

或者單獨練陽

都是錯誤的

Trance is not a separate exercise

Trance is a natural phenomenon

Will appear in the second half of the entire practice

Taoist practice is the repetition of yin and yang

Yin practice alone

Or practice yang alone

are all wrong

Edited by awaken

6 hours ago, looschmaster said:

一天練十五分鐘真的太少了,至少要準備兩小時的時間

注意力集中在小腹不是好辦法,而是走向錯誤道路的第一步

因為你把你的注意力給鎖死了

十到十五分鐘的時間,只夠你把雜念沉澱下來,很難練到入定

甚至對某些人來說,十五分鐘根本連熱身都不夠

Fifteen minutes a day is really too little, at least two hours to prepare

Focusing on the lower abdomen is not a good idea, but the first step in the wrong path

Because you locked your attention

Ten to fifteen minutes is just enough time for you to settle your distracting thoughts, it is difficult to practice meditation

Fifteen minutes is not even enough to warm up for some people

道家修練重點就在陰陽反覆,要練一趟起碼一到兩個小時是最基本的

十分鐘不能稱為練習

太短了

The focus of Taoist practice lies in the repetition of yin and yang. It is the most basic to practice at least one to two hours.

Ten minutes can't be called practice

It's too short

像我的學生,要練出陽生,起碼一趟三小時是基本的

Like my students, to practice yangsheng, at least a three-hour trip is basic

只有搬運法才會叫人把注意力放在下腹部

所有的真正的道家修練都不會這樣做

Only the carrying method can make people pay attention to the lower abdomen

All true Taoist practices don't do this

你要想清楚你到底是要練道家修練?

還是要練搬運法?

You have to figure out if you really want to practice Taoism?

Or do you want to practice moving?

你原來的練法是對的,所以產生了自然的現象

千萬不要把後天意念加上去

這樣會走上錯誤的道路

Your original practice method is correct, so a natural phenomenon has arisen

Don't add acquired thoughts

It's going the wrong way

Edited by awaken

12 hours ago, looschmaster said:

10-15 mins of meditation per day is fine, it takes a while to build up to doing long sessions so take it slow to begin with. I would suggest you do one 10 minute session when you wake up, and another 10 minute session before you sleep. It will help you start and end your day well, plus gives you the whole day to do anything else you want without worrying where to slot in your meditation.

• Like 3