Sandra_Skywatchet

Searching for qigong teacher

Hello, I am interested in learning medical qigong and this website has some amazing background. I recently did a two week free trial with Holden Qigong and the practice is improving my energy but I felt really ambivalent about Lee Holden. His background has various incongruous stories about how he was introduced to qigong, and as I understand he was a protege of Mantak Chia, the unintentional inspiration for the founding of this site. I want to learn from a respected and legitimate teacher and practice in a respectful way. Looking forward to finding recommendations 🙏🏻

• Like 1

I know two teachers with clinical training in the traditional Chinese medicine.

Rudi teaches top-notch Neigong:

Sifu John Dolic teaches a lot of great medical styles.

https://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/

7 hours ago, centertime said:

Hi there @centertime. Your terse reply leaves me curious.

Have you trained with Sifu Korahais? What makes this teacher stand out favorably in your opinion?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, senseless virtue said:

I know two teachers with clinical training in the traditional Chinese medicine.

Rudi teaches top-notch Neigong:

Sifu John Dolic teaches a lot of great medical styles.

https://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/

Hi there @centertime. Your terse reply leaves me curious.

Have you trained with Sifu Korahais? What makes this teacher stand out favorably in your opinion?

I bought two courses 101 and 201... I tried the exercises.. many had effects as "advertised".

It means I watched his videos and followed them, tried them... I watched his forum,  online meetings..

Sometimes I asked questions.

Not saying other Chi Kungs bad... just for an average person, for a beginner he can be quite good.

- he does not try to appear perfect , he looks more a normal person, he talks like professor, like a person from university.<---- I like this.

- He knows Chinese medicine

-He knows Chinese

-He has many success cases.

-He gives you a framework to work with

- e.g. there is martial, spiritual and medical Chi Kung...

- He has 5 phase routine that can improve application of any Chi Kung.. This is what speeds up the learning curve and healing process in his opinion compared to other Chi Kung.

-He is available , he answers fast in the facebook forum and on his platform as well <---- I like this.

-If you enroll in one of his course. He gives you access to many Chi Kungs.., I mean his videos.. so you can try them out which works for you

If you enroll a course, you can get lifetime access. The price was relatively cheap compared to how many forms he teaches.

-He seems to have a lot of experience. 

-He has monthly online meeting when you can ask questions... or I listen to these old recorded meeting and learn from them.

-He teaches to modify the forms so you feel comfortable with the forms.. Do not force forms by rigidly following the form. (feel free to "butcher" the form he says"

-He teaches not to force movements within the forms that are not comfortable.. If you do not force, you can still advance.

- He advice looked ok to me..

- he recommends 15 minutes quality sessions..  Have better shorter sessions.. rather than forced, boring longer sessions.

-He explains broad range of methods.

-He wants you to teach a skill...He introduces these categories /skills, not mentioned elsewhere: consolidating the chi, circulating the chi..etc..... He seems to give a general framework that makes the whole Chi Kung world earlier to understand , not just his.<---- I like this.

- He teaches you a lot of Chi Kung , then he tells you to use those which are best for you.. He encourage you to use your own senses and intuition to decide what is good for you. He does not want rigid followers.<---- I like this.

Not claiming he can be enough for everybody.

No Chi Kung has had the same effect on me. So it is worth trying a couple.

Edited by centertime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @centertime. Sifu Korahais seems like an agreeable and likeable person.

7 minutes ago, centertime said:

-He introduces these categories , not mentioned elsewhere: consolidating the chi, circulating the chi..etc..... He seems to give a general framework that makes the whole Chi Kung world earlier to understand , not just his.<---- I like this.

Everything up to here seemed like it could work alright for casual practitioners, but bringing up a term like "consolidated qi" seems very excessive and way too theoretical to me.

My personal experience has been that people who promote and practice energetic stimulation first of all instead of seeking calmness and mind qualities that support it will miss out the real depth of internal skills even if they seem to talk much which sounds sensible.

I could be wrong here and therefore I don't wish to jump into conclusions regarding to Sifu Korahais' teachings, so I will just say that people who seek teachers could benefit from paying extra special attention to how the teacher approaches mind training and if it's truly what you are wishing to learn: How you habitually train your mind will affect you for years to come.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, senseless virtue said:

Thank you @centertime. Sifu Korahais seems like an agreeable and likeable person.

Everything up to here seemed like it could work alright for casual practitioners, but bringing up a term like "consolidated qi" seems very excessive and way too theoretical to me.

My personal experience has been that people who promote and practice energetic stimulation first of all instead of seeking calmness and mind qualities that support it will miss out the real depth of internal skills even if they seem to talk much which sounds sensible.

I could be wrong here and therefore I don't wish to jump into conclusions regarding to Sifu Korahais' teachings, so I will just say that people who seek teachers could benefit from paying extra special attention to how the teacher approaches mind training and if it's truly what you are wishing to learn: How you habitually train your mind will affect you for years to come.

I think the idea is you do the exercises, get practical experience, then these things are less "theoretical" or you ask Anthony. (such as consolidating Chi).

Instead of seeking calmness and mind qualities? I have not tried that approach. So no comment.

Wait.. He teaches Zhang Zhuang...several variations. Would you classify those exercises as seeking calmness?

I do not know that path.

What I know couple of Chi Kung (not talking about flowingzen) leads to calmness for while as a side effect after finishing them.

I can say some people like it, some people solve some problems with it.

Edited by centertime
  • Like 1

Before asking for a suggestion, It might be wise to list the goal you hope to achieve?

Internal arts can range from martial skill to good health to some very esoteric things....development of siddhi and so forth

Whatever it may be...personally, I would avoid Mantak Chia and all practitioners associated with him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One day, sometime they should comment on what the hell happened wuth Mantak Chia, for the good of those of us who recently came to the forum...

Sorry to deviate from the main topic, but coming back to it, I suggest following the different series of Qigong taught by Sifu Terry Dunn Tao Tan Pai and Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Edited by Eduardo
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

Before asking for a suggestion, It might be wise to list the goal you hope to achieve?

Internal arts can range from martial skill to good health to some very esoteric things....development of siddhi and so forth

Whatever it may be...personally, I would avoid Mantak Chia and all practitioners associated with him

I am interested in learning and practicing daily medical qigong for general good health, energy and strength to begin with, not martial art. Mantak Chia gives me predatory vibes. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sandra_Skywatchet said:

Thank you everyone for all of the recommendations, I have tried several sample classes and have actually landed with Sally Chang at Evergreen Taiji, she has over 70 free 30 minute sessions on YouTube, a workshop on Vimeo and a Patreon. Her presence and teaching is just what I was searching for

https://www.evergreentaiji.com/

Hope you enjoy it!

Theory-wise, I think these books could give you a hand(please someone correct me if wrong because I don't want to lead someone astray!):

Chinese Medical Qigong by Tianjun Liu

Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy(5 volumes) by Jerry A. Johnson

I know it isn't the same as having a teacher, just think of it as "in addition" to your learning with a teacher.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Better to learn this properly from Sifu John Dolic 

It it was recommended by another internal arts teacher.