kingfred

Cultivating Energy

Are there any techniques for gathering more energy as to not be so tired at night so I can practice when i have time to without dozing off and on.

Thanks for those videos

They helped me out a great deal or a least they have given me a different perspective -

One thing I am confused about -

You state that when feelings arise or emotions or sensations to not get caught up in them -

Stay centered - -

Is there ever a time where one would actively try to direct energy to get a certain effect -

Acually to phrase things differently when one does the movement they are using their intent and directing energy with their intent but they are just not getting caught up in the feelings it creates? -

Also you state that one may be tempted to let the movements go but to breathe and pull the energy back.

My experience with this is that whenever I do any type of mediation of chi gung I can let go and my body starts doing all sorts of things that feel very good - slow- movements fast - they sometimes feel almost orgasmic - The drawback seems to be that it leads to very altered states of consciousness that can be hard to deal with and these often creep up after the sessions have ended - During the sessions I am tempted to let go because it almost feels like an orgasm in my hands and the emotions feel good and often very scary at the same time -

I am a beginner without a teacher - Curious as to what the best way to proceed would be

Is there any danger to doing chi gung and sitting full lotus meditation and doing yoga postures or intense stretching all in the same session or throughout the day?

Is there any danger in seriously injuring oneself through erroneous energy manipulation particularly when one lets themselves go and does what feel goods ?

Thank You

A fully aware mind is free from attachments. Check out some of Lin's postings from Venerable Master Hsuan Hua:

http://www.createforum.com/dharmarealm/vie...rum=dharmarealm

Or, some of Lin's own words:

http://www.createforum.com/dharmarealm/vie...rum=dharmarealm

My experience with this is that whenever I do any type of mediation of chi gung I can let go and my body starts doing all sorts of things that feel very good - slow- movements fast - they sometimes feel almost orgasmic - The drawback seems to be that it leads to very altered states of consciousness that can be hard to deal with and these often creep up after the sessions have ended - During the sessions I am tempted to let go because it almost feels like an orgasm in my hands and the emotions feel good and often very scary at the same time -

I am a beginner without a teacher - Curious as to what the best way to proceed would be

Is there any danger to doing chi gung and sitting full lotus meditation and doing yoga postures or intense stretching all in the same session or throughout the day?

Is there any danger in seriously injuring oneself through erroneous energy manipulation particularly when one lets themselves go and does what feel goods ?

It kinda depends on what exercises you are doing...you would be well advised to find a teacher. There are absolutely dangers to doing things haphazardly. If you're doing something like kunlun, spontaneous movement is part of the practice. Plenty of other things, not so much.

Thanks for those videos

They helped me out a great deal or a least they have given me a different perspective -

One thing I am confused about -

You state that when feelings arise or emotions or sensations to not get caught up in them -

Stay centered - -

Is there ever a time where one would actively try to direct energy to get a certain effect -

Acually to phrase things differently when one does the movement they are using their intent and directing energy with their intent but they are just not getting caught up in the feelings it creates? -

Also you state that one may be tempted to let the movements go but to breathe and pull the energy back.

Thank You

Don't try to direct anything intentionally until you have developed good concentration. Since you are just beginning, 3-6 months of daily practice, then start playing around with your intentions, breath, but slowly..like breathing to the finger tips, toes, top of the head, etc..

Don't chase the feelings and practice just to feel good things. You should put those out of the mind and just practice. The less you entertain the better.

Practice what you wish throughout the day, but take it slow, and leave room in between the practices to settle your mind from each particular manner. Sitting in lotus will calm your energy down , so do it whenever you want. If you are doing qigong practices and lotus posture is one of the requirements of your practice, then do it in lotus, if it isn't don't do it.

Don't do what feels good, that is what gets people into great messes in society and practice. Just cultivate and don't look for anything. No states, no sensations, not bliss...just cultivate. maintain concentration, don't ejaculate and control your lust.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Don't try to direct anything intentionally until you have developed good concentration. Since you are just beginning, 3-6 months of daily practice, then start playing around with your intentions, breath, but slowly..like breathing to the finger tips, toes, top of the head, etc..

Don't chase the feelings and practice just to feel good things. You should put those out of the mind and just practice. The less you entertain the better.

Practice what you wish throughout the day, but take it slow, and leave room in between the practices to settle your mind from each particular manner. Sitting in lotus will calm your energy down , so do it whenever you want. If you are doing qigong practices and lotus posture is one of the requirements of your practice, then do it in lotus, if it isn't don't do it.

Don't do what feels good, that is what gets people into great messes in society and practice. Just cultivate and don't look for anything. No states, no sensations, not bliss...just cultivate. maintain concentration, don't ejaculate and control your lust.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Thank you Lin

Would a basic mediation of just bringing ones attention back to the breath when it wanders be sufficient or concentration on the point in between the eyebrows?

Reverse second wind it. Give yourself some whole body work to do and the mind won't be clouded with distracting thoughts. Usually 5 minutes in universal post is a good place to start. See what your thinking about right at that time you feel like "quiting" ... probably not the same things you were thinking when your "trying" to be still. So at that time as now ... breath, relax, align.... weight sinks directly down between the feet, feet distribute weight evenly "bridged" from metatarsal web to heel, knees don't go further out than the toe. Same goes for forms practice, or even going for a taoist jog, it will always be easier to experience "no thought" after you give yourself a physical task to accomplish. Stillness being balanced with movement.

Edited by Spectrum

Reverse second wind it. Give yourself some whole body work to do and the mind won't be clouded with distracting thoughts. Usually 5 minutes in universal post is a good place to start. See what your thinking about right at that time you feel like "quiting" ... probably not the same things you were thinking when your "trying" to be still. So at that time as now ... breath, relax, align.... weight sinks directly down between the feet, feet distribute weight evenly "bridged" from metatarsal web to heel, knees don't go further out than the toe. Same goes for forms practice, or even going for a taoist jog, it will always be easier to experience "no thought" after you give yourself a physical task to accomplish. Stillness being balanced with movement.

Ok good idea as I do physical activity and it does have an affect on my practice -

I just did some basic breath meditation -

My experience was that that I focused on my breath or paid attention to it - concentrated on it - if my attention wandered I brought it back to it - But then the sensation of the breath being everywhere came up - My breath was the spot between my eyebrows - it was in my lungs - Thus there was no singular point to concentrate on - and I had no frame of reference and then things started to get crazy in regards to intense feelings and emotions - Thoughts were that I was not concentrating on my breath - of course I couldnt concentrate on my breath despite the fact that I was aware that I was lost - More thinking just leads to more thinking and I still am not on my breath - so eventually I come back to it just by "waiting" as I have no control it seems -

Then it seems to keep disapearing on me and my breathing stops completely for like 15 seconds - I dont force it I just watch - Then there is me breathing and a separateness from me breathing - and It seems I can become the breath or watch the breath and be separate from it - If I become the breath it is ok for a few seconds but then my consciousness gets lost and scattered everywhere - If I am separate from the breath then I am not concentrating - I am aware of the breath as a separate entity yet I am also aware of sensations thoughts etc

Other problems I have when I do this meditation too much My mind starts to panic because I stop breathing or it seems like my body doesnt need as much air and this state freaks my mind out - Thus I feel like I cant get enough air or I start to panic in a reaction to my body being very calm

What is universal post ?

Thanks

Thank you Lin

Would a basic mediation of just bringing ones attention back to the breath when it wanders be sufficient or concentration on the point in between the eyebrows?

Concentrate on the breath...and better yet, concentrate on the place in between the two breaths. :)

Believe me, everything happens on its own...energy to the third eye, dan tian... it all happens on its own.. just put the intention there and just meditate. After a while you can start directing a bit by just breathing through the abdomen, nice and full, and maintaining a slight focus at the third eye.

Peace,

Lin

If you do what you've described while holding universal post your biological center should take over and the wandering attention settles in the dan tien. Belly Breathing is the physical counterpart to placing the attention on the dan tien.

If "attention" becomes a problem you havn't been standing long enough, or maybe need a teacher there to help. There is a natural way that the sand of thoughts will settle and the water of the mind will be clear for those moment/s. As you begin to cultivate stillness you may notice a natural lengthing of the breath, this is also known as long breathing, in which the attention (as homey described) is brought to the transition points of inhale-exhale. As this space is extended there is as associated kind of psychophysical motif similar to suspended animation. Moving the attention around is only after you cultivate stillness. Until then while meditating bring the attention internally to the biological center. If internal 'movement' is experienced your job is to 'let go' of it and attend to the center while doing the work. (gung) If the attention is continually brought to a specific area that you feel is stuck, a physical practice associated with that area will help clear it (i recommend finding a weidan set which works all the channels, or a form of vinyasa yoga in which you feel rubbery afterwards...)

You should seek a teacher in your area to study from directly if you are not already.

Edited by Spectrum