Casy

What's a mystic and how to become one?

Hello all, I'm a nearly 4 decade old newbie looking to explore more for my own soul searching. For a starter, I learned that mystics have these characteristics:"They have powers of receptivity and sympathy that are particularly acute. They are porous and have the ability to be so open as to stretch beyond the usual small and protective ego, and they are often unusually courageous.", which makes me want to be like one! Well, there are still many more things that I don't know. I'd appreciate any pointers, and thank you for having me here. 

Well I think the foundation of any alchemy/cultivation method is semen retention and then the conversion of that sexual energy into healing power.  So don’t spill your seed and use various meditative methods to transfer that sexual energy into healing power for yourself and others.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Welcome! 

4 hours ago, FatHubert said:

Well I think the foundation of any alchemy/cultivation method is semen retention and then the conversion of that sexual energy into healing power.  So don’t spill your seed and use various meditative methods to transfer that sexual energy into healing power for yourself and others.

First of all ignore this, do more research and learn from members with higher post counts. Developing an obsession that semen retention leads to magical powers is a good way to mess up your body and mind, maybe even lead to prostate cancer. On the other hand it doesn’t mean you can ejaculate every day. Moderation in everything is key. Some advice I’ve seen on this site is that a good way to keep in check is by age, in your teens you can ejaculate every other day, in your 20’s every 2 days, in your 30’s every 3 days and so on. For other lineages you have to be celibate for 100 days when starting. I might be wrong but either way don’t obsess over it. There’s more to cultivation than this. 

Look at the different lineages and teachers, talk to practitioners of them to find out the results that they bring and see which one is the best for you. Personally I’m learning Flying Phoenix Chi Kung and will take the next Authentic Neigong seminar from Rudi at the end of the month. 

You can read more about them here:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FatHubert said:

OMG !

Do you realise there are actually OTHER  forms of alchemy  !

• Like 4

On 30/01/2022 at 2:36 AM, Casy said:

Hello all, I'm a nearly 4 decade old newbie looking to explore more for my own soul searching. For a starter, I learned that mystics have these characteristics:"They have powers of receptivity and sympathy that are particularly acute. They are porous and have the ability to be so open as to stretch beyond the usual small and protective ego, and they are often unusually courageous.", which makes me want to be like one! Well, there are still many more things that I don't know. I'd appreciate any pointers, and thank you for having me here. 

To become a mystic all you need to do is  maintain your  own 'soul searching'  without 'joining up '  to a religion or group . Its like A meaning of 'gnostic'  in ' self found knowledge '   .... or   'approaching divinity without thinking you need a priest or similar ' .

Mystics dont automatically have the powers and characteristics you mention  as anyone can start along this path and become a 'mystic '.

Some have made BAD mistakes and some are 'the best mystics' 

I assume you want to be like the best ones ?      Also I assume you use the term generally  , so, in the general field of mysticism ,  I have found no better than this advice   ( and I have spent over 40 years examining the subject in both theory and practice  ... just so ya know I am not some random internet goop sprouting something I just looked up pretending I have knowledge about it )

THEOREMS

I. The world progresses by virtue of the appearance of Christs (geniuses).

II. Christs (geniuses) are men with super-consciousness of the highest order.

III. Super-consciousnes of the highest order is obtainable by known methods.

Therefore, by employing the quintessence of known methods we cause the world to progress.

ESSENTIALS OF METHOD

I. Theology is immaterial; for both Buddha and St. Ignatius were Christs.

II. Morality is immaterial; for both Socrates and Mohammed were Christs.

III. Super-consciousness is a natural phenomenon; its conditions are therefore to be sought rather in the acts than the words of those who attain it.

The essential acts are retirement and concentration — as taught by Yoga and Ceremonial Magic. {196}

MISTAKES OF MYSTICS

I. Since truth is supra-rational, it is incommunicable in the language of reason.

II. Hence all mystics have written nonsense, and what sense they have written is so far untrue.

III. Yet as a still lake yields a truer reflection of the sun than a torrent, he whose mind is best balanced will, if he become a mystic, become the best mystic.

THE METHOD OF EQUILIBRIUM

I. THE PASSIONS, ETC.

I. Since the ultimate truth of teleology is unknown, all codes of morality are arbitrary.

II. Therefore the student has no concern with ethics as such.

III. He is consequently free 'to do his duty in that state of life to which it has pleased God to call him.'

II. THE REASON

I. Since truth is supra-rational, any rational statement is false.

II. Let the student then contradict every proposition that presents itself to him. {197}

III. Rational ideas being thus expelled from the mind, there is room for the apprehension of spiritual truth.

It should be remarked that this does not destroy the validity of reasonings on their own plane.

III. THE SPIRITUAL SENSORIUM

I. Man being a finite being, he is incapable of apprehending the infinite. Nor does his communion with infinite being (true or false) alter this fact.

II. Let then the student contradict every vision and refuse to enjoy it; first, because there is certainly another vision possible of precisely contradictory nature; secondly, because though he is God, he is also a man upon an insignificant planet.

Being thus equilibrated laterally and vertically, it may be that, either by affirmation or denial of all these things together, he may attain the supreme trance.

IV. THE RESULT

I. Trance is defined as the ek-stasis of one particular tract of the brain, caused by meditation on the idea corresponding to it.

II. Let the student therefore beware lest in that idea be any trace of imperfection. It should be pure, balanced, calm, complete, fitted in every way to dominate the mind, as it will.

Even as in the choice of a king to be crowned. {198}

III. So will the decrees of this king be just and wise as he was just and wise before he was made king.

The life and work of the mystic will reflect (though dimly) the supreme guiding force of the mystic, the highest trance to which he has attained.

YOGA AND MAGIC

I. Yoga is the art of uniting the mind to a single idea. It has four methods.

Gnana-Yoga. Union by Knowledge.
Raja-Yoga. Union by Will.
Bhakta-Yoga. Union by Love.
Hatha-Yoga. Union by Courage.
add Mantra-Yoga. Union through Speech.
Karma-Yoga. Union through Work.

These are united by the supreme method of Silence.

II. Ceremonial Magic is the art of uniting the mind to a single idea.

It has four Methods.

The Holy Qabalah. Union by Knowledge.
The Sacred Magic. Union by Will.
The Acts of Worship. Union by Love.
The Ordeals. Union by Courage.
add The Invocations. Union by Speech.
The Acts of Service. Union through Work.

These are united by the supreme method of Silence. {199}

III. If this idea be any but the Supreme and Perfect idea, and the student lose control, the result is insanity, obsession, fanaticism, or paralysis and death (add addiction to gossip and incurable idleness), according to the nature of the failure.

Let then the Student understand all these things and combine them in his Art, uniting them by the supreme method of Silence.

https://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/eqi02016

• Like 5

On 1/30/2022 at 1:36 AM, Casy said:

looking to explore more for my own soul searching. For a starter, I learned that mystics have these characteristics:.... which makes me want to be like one! 

Being a mystic is an optional stage between being a self-centered human and being an enlightened operator in the local cosmos.

Mystics see and feel whatever comes their way - depending upon the frequencies in which their consciousness lives.  

Eventually, to progress, all mystics must become doers rather than watchers.

Edited by Lairg
  • Like 2

Don’t spill your seed.  Meditate on all of your organs and glands one by one.

I am 30 days celibate and just healed a severe digestive issue that I’ve had for years by focusing on my pancreas.

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Out of interest, what lineage or teachings do you follow?

I don’t follow any particular teachings.  I’m just 

1. Maintaining celibacy 

2. meditating in a simple way where I focus on feeling different organs/glands/parts of the body one by one.

It’s stuff I’ve pieced together over time from internet research.  Only recently did I get serious about celibacy, I know it’s not for everyone but certainly if you want to be a mystic like the fellow who created this topic.

I think I'll call myself a billionaire because I read things I see on the Internet then and pieced together how to be one. :D

In all seriousness: I find "being" a mystic and striving to attain the label gets in the way of walking the path of a mystic...and it doesn't really offer any insight on development, looking more like wandering and looking for things that are pleasing rather than exploration and discovery that a mystic's journey encompasses, with specific indicators of progress.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FatHubert said:

I don’t follow any particular teachings.  I’m just 

1. Maintaining celibacy 

2. meditating in a simple way where I focus on feeling different organs/glands/parts of the body one by one.

It’s stuff I’ve pieced together over time from internet research.  Only recently did I get serious about celibacy, I know it’s not for everyone but certainly if you want to be a mystic like the fellow who created this topic.

Ok, I hope it works out for you. Give special attention to your prostate.

51 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I do, I think the prostate is the second chakra, the rectum is the first chakra.  I think of chakras as literal body parts.

51 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

I do, I think the prostate is the second chakra, the rectum is the first chakra.  I think of chakras as literal body parts.

@Casy please search for "semen retention" in the search bar and see all the stories of practitioners who have seriously messed themselves up due to semen retention. You can become a good mystic by avoiding the mistakes that others make. It's not worth the time wasted from harmful practices and then the time wasted reversing the damage of those harmful practices. Many long term posters here have learned from a lot of different teachers and lineages, or just tried things by themselves to see the results so when you see a lot of them telling you that you shouldn't do something, it's not because they are trying to hide some big secret from you, but they don't want you to hurt yourself unnecessarily like they did.

You will eventually come to the conclusion that practices with a specific emphasis on semen retention (such as Mantak Chia's books) can do a lot of harm to practitioners. But please do the research yourself, don't just take my word for it.

Edited by Pak_Satrio
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pak_Satrio said:

@Casy please search for "semen retention" in the search bar and see all the stories of practitioners who have seriously messed themselves up due to semen retention. You can become a good mystic by avoiding the mistakes that others make. It's not worth the time wasted from harmful practices and then the time wasted reversing the damage of those harmful practices. Many long term posters here have learned from a lot of different teachers and lineages, or just tried things by themselves to see the results so when you see a lot of them telling you that you shouldn't do something, it's not because they are trying to hide some big secret from you, but they don't want you to hurt yourself unnecessarily like they did.

You will eventually come to the conclusion that practices with a specific emphasis on semen retention (such as Mantak Chia's books) can do a lot of harm to practitioners. But please do the research yourself, don't just take my word for it.

Yes agreed 100% stay away from mantak chias method of preventing ejaculation.  Very forceful and harmful stuff.  

The goal of a mystic is to master love and knowledge, so that they can be informative, understand, and give love to all.  

In order to do that, one must master the modes of being and thinking of all people, to be able to comprehend motive and action.

That is why Nungali says that all rational statements are false, and that morality is arbitrary.  However, to the individual, these things hold meaning and are very true, and so to comprehend people, we need to see what they believe to know where they are coming from and to understand their actions.

Why is this the case?  Because the mystic understands the infinite, and in the infinite, all things are possible and all things have meaning and reason.

The infinite God is guarded by the God Chaos, and in order to advance to the level of a qualified adept, the initiate must defeat him.  That means that the initiate must apprehend all modes of thinking and meaning and justify or denounce them.  This takes a long time.

In the end, the Adept will have comprehension of meaning and reason, and will see truth with clear eyes.  They will comprehend nature in all her violence and joy, and they will see the fragile state of balance that we live in.  They will understand that morality varies from culture to culture, and they will find their ground on which to stand for their own value judgements, though a true Mystic of the Infinite will not have any, and they will be free to do what they will in any direction. This type of Adept is a Chaos Magician.  You are now free to love whom you will, for all people have a method, and you understand them all.  Your God is now Love.

The problem here is that in love, there are certain rules of behavior and expectation, and many mystics get caught in placing their value judgements upon action based on their interpretation of love.  The contradiction is that if all morality is subjective, and you have liberated yourself from it, then you would not do this.  And so one must decide if they worship love or freedom, or love all without question.  This leaves you powerless when it comes to choosing right and wrong, and you become no better than those who are trapped in a subjective moral view.  So you either approve of all, or you choose to place value on things.  If you approve of all, then you are no different from any.  If you disapprove of some, then you are still no different from any.  

So what is the best Mystic to be?  That depends upon your reason and definition of love.  

Edited by helpfuldemon

To me being mystic means changing the basic paradigm in which we see the world; instead of 'I see the tree', it's 'i see i' . 

Thoughts are way way quieter; ego and comparisons likewise lessened.  You are nothing special and a little bit of everything.  In the world but no longer as much of it.  in writing you use more semi-colons;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Aware. Breaking through the social conditioning you have been subjected to in this very lifetime. You chose to anyway, no one forced you to become another brick on wall. 

2. Balanced. Yin & Yang are SACRED forces you know you can't mess up with.

3. Accept solitude in preparation of the big let go. We are all alone though just normal people aren't aware of it either.

The path of the mystic is one of the most misunderstood and poorly defined, it is always a call from the divine forces or superior powers that vitalize the universe and that attract the sincere pilgrim of this world.
If your call is sincere, you will attract your true Master and then begin the Great Return Journey or genuine Esoteric Initiation, remain faithful to your call, and discard the false teachers and charlatans who appear trying to cloud your path.
Powers or psychic experiences should not be sought because it is just another trap that bogs down sincere seekers.
The path of the mystic is the path of selfless service and spiritual nobility, thus, an ideal of service is imposed for the benefit of living beings, which often implies forgetting oneself and not a few efforts.

Whoever wants to reach spiritual initiation must be so thirsty to know the truth as to make his spiritual path the number one goal of his life, the most important, the essential.
It is a waste of time to take this as something secondary, as a matter to which it is enough to dedicate a certain number of hours a week and the rest of the time to not worry about it. Spiritual discipline is something of all times because it is a transformation that takes place in the soul of the individual and therefore becomes something inseparable from his character.

With everything that we have said, it is established that the Spiritual Initiation is a new birth of the mystic, it is the regeneration through the awakening of the Consciousness.
This regeneration allows him to return to his original state of purity because it puts him in contact with the Universal Spirit, which is the part of God that dwell in him.
It is freedom from fate, causality, error, ignorance, lies and pain; it is coming face to face with the truth and coming to identify with the Cosmic Consciousness or God.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilentHand said:

The moment you became involved in any sort of spiritual practice, such as Yoga or other meditation for the purposes of insight, inner transformation or union with the ultimate etc. you became a Mystic. That may even have been the moment you clicked the join button on this forum! :)

The words Morality and Mohammed do not belong in the same sentence together, neither was Mohammend anything to do with a Christ those words also don't belong together. Mohammed was a spiritual fraud, a warlord, a beheader of men and a paedophile by the standards of his time, his life was anything but Morale or Enlightened and he was filled with personal demons i.e. we are talking about a man who lusted after & lay with his own aunt.

Also anything to do with Aleister Crowely is to be avoided, again another kind of spiritual fraud and a spiritually unaccomplished and sinister character of the left hand path.

Well, you are off to a fine beginning here .

What is meant is ; morality seems immaterial as Mohammed founded a world religion that is still very active today  (and I might add, regardless of any historical issues many modern day Muslims  are considered moral ).

However you yourself seem full of morality , I am sure you have a lot more 'advice' to give on the traditions of western magick .

• Like 2

..... oh, by the way , to correct you ;  that 'internet rumour '  that Mohammed 'lusted after' and lay with his own aunt is not correct .... you left out the part where he was supposed to have done that  with her  ....  after she died .... and in her coffin .

if you are going to be a spreader of internet rumour , of a particularly distasteful kind , against the founder and Prophet of 24% of the world's peoples religion .... at least get it 'right' . 

• Like 2

On 29/01/2022 at 4:36 PM, Casy said:

… mystics … have powers of receptivity …

I think so too. : )

Edited by Cobie

Removed, I posted it twice accidentally 

Edited by Cobie

Re https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/53332-whats-a-mystic-and-how-to-become-one/?do=findComment&comment=984712 

I wholeheartedly disapprove of SilentHand’s slandering of Islam.

@SilentHand Please do not misquote me. I was talking about mystics being receptive. See https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/53332-whats-a-mystic-and-how-to-become-one/?do=findComment&comment=984614

I personally respect Islam. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 3

Somehow I think that both slandering a religion and deliberately misquoting someone is not falling under the rules of civil behavior, seeing you're a newbie I invite you to read up on it, there are some pinned posts in the section welcome.

edit, I suggest you remove your post, when you do so I will remove my quote of it too

edit, removed quote

Edited by blue eyed snake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1