宁

Xiang Gong

Hello,

since quite a long time i have been interested in this kind of practice. So far i only found out about a couple of body movements that are repeated sequentially, and this, they say, would be Xiang Gong.

I wonder what it really means, and what would a Xiang Gong Meditation would be like... if anyone found out more about it.

Thanks

L1

I wonder what it really means, and what would a Xiang Gong Meditation would be like... if anyone found out more about it.

Thanks

L1

why is it called a fragrance qigong?

i might be wrong, but from what ive gathered, the practicioners can use various senses to feel and direct energy. there are ones that use visual techniques (light, colour etc), others use kinestetics (heat, tingle etc), others use sound (they hear a sound during meditation, and work with it)... it seems xiang gong uses fragrances that seem to develop while performing certain techniques. this is why it is called that way. but it seems all the major resources on it are in chinese, many of them belong to prof. Pang Ming

Thanks, but this is not it.

:)

L1

You mean actual cultivation methods which cause the body to emanate different scents?

:D

oh that too :D why, do you know about some? i wonder how the body does it...

My friend used to do level 1. Interesting practice. I did it once with him, and started smelling diferent fragrances after about 5 minutes (which kind of pissed him off because he couldn't after a long time of practice). You are not supposed to think or guide anything- in fact, they say you can watch TV while doing it.

Max

yes indeed it's a kind of practice where the leading of qi is forbidden... i think it is an early heaven - type of method, of no-feel, no-think, no-direct. i still wonder how is it actually produced. found an interesting article with an interview of Tian Rui Sheng: http://www.qi.org/fragrant/frag1.PDF

neat!

this early heaven / later heaven distinction is a killer... any help there Proc, Meow, others ??

I have a friend who has done this for maybe 2-3 years. It's pretty powerful, although I don't know the details of it. The Chinese master lives in Germany but visits the US "regularly."

Edited by vortex

Hi,

The links I posted before are from the same qigong in the pdf. This version was only created in the past 30 - 40 years.

I have heard of another Fragrance Qigong set, also known as Wild Goose 9 from the Taoist Kunlun Mountain School, Dayan Wild Goose Qigong. 27th lineage holder Grandmaster Yang Meijun is said to emit 5 types of flower fragrance energy.

yes indeed it's a kind of practice where the leading of qi is forbidden... i think it is an early heaven - type of method, of no-feel, no-think, no-direct. i still wonder how is it actually produced.

to know that one needs to either know or experience the very first aroma that your body starts to emanate in the beginning of the practice. what could it be?

this early heaven / later heaven distinction is a killer... any help there Proc,

most ppl dont even know post-heaven, nobody knows pre-heaven. When modern qigong folks speak about pre-heaven rest assured -it is not.

Jeff's link is the one I'm familiar with. Apparently it's one of the most popular qigong forms despite its relatively recent introduction to the public.

1.to know that one needs to either know or experience the very first aroma that your body starts to emanate in the beginning of the practice. what could it be?

2.most ppl dont even know post-heaven, nobody knows pre-heaven. When modern qigong folks speak about pre-heaven rest assured -it is not.

1. the first aroma, would be sweat, no doubt. 18 form, 36 repetitions each...

2. interesting way of sharing without sharing, you make me envious.

3. the best part of xiang gong is that the practice itself is hidden, and the teacher teaches it only directly to the student. it's not open, that's why i said those info above are not it. the third level is the practice itself.

what seemed interesting to me... how about... can you "smell" the energy? how awsome can this be?!

- Proc, can you share without sharing, on pre and post heaven? PM maybe? any clues?

thanx

L1

3. the best part of xiang gong is that the practice itself is hidden, and the teacher teaches it only directly to the student. it's not open, that's why i said those info above are not it. the third level is the practice itself.

what seemed interesting to me... how about... can you "smell" the energy? how awsome can this be?!

The modern qigong has all characteristics of a cargo cult - there is much hand waving but the planes stoped coming.

All modern quigongs are created similarly : A modern teacher takes a shred of a genuine tradition and blows it up into a cargo cult. The fragrance QG is a good example.... all these 18 times 36 hand wavings are largely irrelevant, and fragrance is not unique to this qigong. Any genuine cultivation will make body fragrant in a very objective way - the others will smell the fragrance.

Those that make up things will claim that they smell of this and that and rose and violets and coco chanel :lol: ...and a good test would be to ask - what was the very first smell that appeared. And they can not make that one up because there is nowhere to read about it or to hear about it in a seminar.

Edited by Procurator

- Proc, can you share without sharing, on pre and post heaven? PM maybe? any clues?

this question ties well with the recent discussion of the allegedly zen koan: Who I am?

Now this is a western perversion of a genuine zen question : who were you before your father and mother ever lived? The westerners truncated it because you see, it just did not make any sense to them so they simply trew out whatever they could not understand.

And that genuine zen koan is in turn perversion of a genuine alchemical tradition.

So you see there were at least 3 iterations of perversion and to get to the thruth you will have to go to the genuine texts.

to get to the thruth you will have to go to the genuine texts.

that sounds like a good plan :)

there's another thing. "smell" activates another part of our brain, that was active before our mind slowly melted into the social matrix. that part has in it all the ancestral memories, and the abilities that went along with them. how cool is that !?

now, the predisposition to "receive" the world mainly thru as an audio-visual image, has deprived us of our magical heritage.

thanx

L1

PS: the cargo cult theory is really interesting

that sounds like a good plan :)

there's another thing. "smell" activates another part of our brain, that was active before our mind slowly melted into the social matrix. that part has in it all the ancestral memories, and the abilities that went along with them. how cool is that !?

now, the predisposition to "receive" the world mainly thru as an audio-visual image, has deprived us of our magical heritage.

thanx

L1

PS: the cargo cult theory is really interesting

Smell does indeed activate the olfactory bulb which stimulates the hypothalamus and other neural-centers. however isn't amazing that we can smell seemingly billions of different compounds and they all have a distinct scent? How is it we only have about 30000 coding genes in the genome, and only a small number of those code for scent receptors and yet we can smell billions of different scents? Interesting no?

yes the body has many untold misteries, that are easier to look upon, and can clarify a lot more, than studying usure energy maps, interesting, huh :)

yes the body has many untold misteries, that are easier to look upon, and can clarify a lot more, than studying usure energy maps, interesting, huh :)

Actually I disagree with you completely. The bodies mysteries are not easier to look upon and clarify. We have some idea about physiology, but it is infinitely more complex than any current theory available. It gives a glimpse but there is a world of molecular and submolecular activities much more intricate than our puny instruments designed to extend the capacity of our senses can detect. Although it works to give a glimpse, it is just that, and it leaves plenty of untold mysteries that are as obscure and unsure as energy maps.

:lol: of course you disagree. but i cant contradict you. im not here to prove anything.

good luck

L1

:lol: of course you disagree. but i cant contradict you. im not here to prove anything.

good luck

L1

Edited by Xienkula1

The below two clips are taught by Grandmaster Tian's daughters so IMHO they are the most precise demonstrations found on the web.

This clip is for level 1 taught by Grandmaster Tian's younger daughter Tian Aifang. At the end of the clip Grandmaster Tian teachs us on a detox method too.

The following clip is for level 2 taught by Grandmaster Tian's elder daughter Tian Shufang:

Both clips contains some of Grandmaster Tian's healing session fragments/interviews. It is a pity that they are in Mandarin so most of us non-Chinese cannot understand.

Thanks vovi. Awesome uploads. 

A timeless resource for all xiang gong practitioners ! 

Good find

• Like 1