Vajra Fist

The qigong boom and morality

You guys probably know I spent about a decade practicing Falun Gong in a fairly intense way. 

I quit about five years back and have been on a sort of hiatus in my cultivation, dabbling here and there with various practices and systems.

Among the systems I've tried in recent months have been two that were also banned alongside Falun Gong in 1999 - soaring crane and fragrant qigong.

Now Falun Gong places its primary focus on morality. According to the teacher, one's level of energy refinement is based solely on your moral standard. As you improve your xinxing (integrity), your gong (level of refinement) grows.

"Whether you want to practice cultivation or are able to practice cultivation depends completely upon how your xinxing is upgraded."

How you practice the exercises is less important. Indeed the main text doesn't even include descriptions of the exercises, which are instead in a smaller, supplementary book.

Despite the fact that daily practice of all five exercises takes up about two hours of the day, re-reading the text is regarded as the main practice. As well of course, putting it into practice in terms of turning the other cheek in conflicts, or else being kind to those who have ill will toward you. 

Now I always imagined Falun Gong was unique in this sense. You don't see many qigong styles or internal arts these that place a primary or even sole emphasis on cultivation of virtue as an engine for change. 

But from my time in the wilderness, I've discovered some interesting things about other styles that were common in the late 90s and were banned in China at the same time as Falun Gong.

The first, fragrant qigong, also places an emphasis on morality. This from Tian Rui-Sheng's text Chinese Fragrant Qigong.

What do you mean by “High morals mean high qigong”?

A: Morals are the foundation of learning qigong. It means to help society,

help people, not to steal from or harm people. 

Soaring crane (the precursor to the now widely practiced Zhineng Qigong) was also one of the styles that was banned in 1999. 

Here from the book Chinese Soaring Crane Qigong by Zhao, Jin Xiang.

Although Soaring Crane Qigong is a way of overcoming disease and promoting health, the highest level of its development is firmly based in high moral development.  I speak here of two kinds of morality.  The first kind implies being in harmony with the laws of the Universe and with Nature -- the Tao.  The second relates to one's activity in society.  Both of these aspects must be properly developed in the practitioner of qigong

So I find this fascinating, both on a historical and theoretical level.

I have two theories. The first is that these styles were all taught in the years following the Tiananmen Square massacre, and the early pioneers of the qigong boom were treading on eggshells. At the time, the government was under Deng Xiaoping in the process of rehabilitating Confucius, who placed emphasis on the cultivation of character and morality. 

These qigong styles thought that by stressing morality, they could latch on to the political and social momentum, and thus be perceived as non threatening. 

The second possibility is controversial, and is my main point of posting this. Has qigong since it entered the West, lost a key part of the internal training by stripping away the early focus on morality?

Have we in the west, living in a society that has emerged fairly jaded after centuries from Christian hegemony, deliberately played down the importance of moral cultivation, whenever we see it in Eastern practices like qigong?

And is morality important in qigong or neigong?

This is of course all fairly moot, I have no horses in this race. I'm keen to hear your thoughts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, another possibility that just jumped to mind, was that many styles of qigong originally emerged from within the religious context - particularly Chan.

In that sense, many of the original practitioners were already operating by default within a strict moral framework, such as the Buddhist precepts. 

The modern qigong styles that popped up with the 90s didn't have that religious framework, but nevertheless recognised that morality was an important part of the cultivation process, so attempted to artificially graft it on by appealing to Confucianism.

Some, like Falun Gong perhaps took it too far and became (using as charitable language as possible) 'new religious movements' in themselves. 

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vajra Fist said:

many of the original practitioners were already operating by default within a strict moral framework,

Most likely. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:38 PM, Vajra Fist said:

And is morality important in qigong or neigong?

This is of course all fairly moot, I have no horses in this race. I'm keen to hear your thoughts

To me, gaining 'power' and/or stretching the mind without a steady wisdom tradition including cautionary tales is like losing a couple spokes on a wheel.  You can move forward but you're going to wobble, increasingly badly. 

A quiet mind is a wonderful thing but it can be vulnerable to paranoia, tribal conditioning and craziness.  Worse, the bad stuff- mental and/or physical can be mistaken for progress.  As practice deepens- be careful, be moral, be humble and keep a sense of humor. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Morality and virtue are fundamental in Nei Dan and Daoism.

Though unlike Confucianism, the reason for it isn’t to create ideal conditions for a harmonious society - but to create the conditions necessary for inner spiritual cultivation.

Very anti establishment these Daoists :D

On a very basic level - think of unvirtuous action as creating a subtle level of guilt that will stop you from experiencing your original spirit.

Think of that one big thing you did that you’re not proud of and feel guilty about.

The repercussions of that action are like a scar that remains.

At the moment of crossing over to the divine, all these subtle scars will be brought to awareness and the remaining guilt and shame will magnetically pull on your awareness and out of the divine realm.

You can bypass this stuff from time to time and get a glimpse… but for full transformation every such scar must be let go of… 

If you keep creating these subtle scars, then you’re basically undoing your cultivation.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, virtuous actions and states - like wisdom, compassion, kindness, bravery, patience etc etc create the perfect fertiliser for one’s divinity to bloom.

For the basics of qigong - none of this matters. If you want to build and circulate qi - then virtues and morals are only as relevant as being a good person is for you.

In fact there’s even a certain inner power that comes from doing the opposite of what is virtuous.

There’s plenty of unethical and hugely immoral people with exceptional qi skills in the internal arts world.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, freeform said:

Morality and virtue are fundamental in Nei Dan and Daoism.

Do people have the same view what is moral and virtuous?

Though unlike Confucianism, the reason for it isn’t to create ideal conditions for a harmonious society - but to create the conditions necessary for inner spiritual cultivation.

Maybe this is the answer to my question above, that Daoist and Confucianism has different views on morality?

Very anti establishment these Daoists :D

On a very basic level - think of unvirtuous action as creating a subtle level of guilt that will stop you from experiencing your original spirit.

If I repress desire, I feel unsatisfied and cannot get rid of the thoughts about the thing I desire. What can I do to help myself?

Think of that one big thing you did that you’re not proud of and feel guilty about.

The repercussions of that action are like a scar that remains.

At the moment of crossing over to the divine, all these subtle scars will be brought to awareness and the remaining guilt and shame will magnetically pull on your awareness and out of the divine realm.

You can bypass this stuff from time to time and get a glimpse… but for full transformation every such scar must be let go of… 

What is the method of letting go?

If you keep creating these subtle scars, then you’re basically undoing your cultivation.

Now on the other end of the spectrum, virtuous actions and states - like wisdom, compassion, kindness, bravery, patience etc etc create the perfect fertiliser for one’s divinity to bloom.

Why these are virtuous?

- wisdom

- compassion

- kindness

- bravery

- patience

If they are ground to ascend, why is this so?

For the basics of qigong - none of this matters. If you want to build and circulate qi - then virtues and morals are only as relevant as being a good person is for you.

In fact there’s even a certain inner power that comes from doing the opposite of what is virtuous.

There’s plenty of unethical and hugely immoral people with exceptional qi skills in the internal arts world.

:)

7 hours ago, Indiken said:

Do people have the same view what is moral and virtuous?

There are certain themes - like not causing others to suffer… but each tradition will have its own set of specific morals and ethics to follow.

The fundamental shift is from actions directed at satisfying our personal wants, desires and self aggrandisement to that of humility and benefiting others.

If I repress desire, I feel unsatisfied and cannot get rid of the thoughts about the thing I desire. What can I do to help myself?

Not always… I think you’re able to control many desires.

For instance you probably have a desire for money - but you repress yourself from robbing someone… and I’m sure you don’t feel like you’re missing out or feeling dissatisfied about that.

I suspect a part of you actually craves the feeling of desire and dissatisfaction and so you create the thoughts that bring this up for you.

These kinds of desires are driven by your fear of survival and your attachment to physicality and experience - these are the Zhi and Po tendencies.

What is the method of letting go?

Sung

Why these are virtuous?

- wisdom

- compassion

- kindness

- bravery

- patience

They are the classical virtues in Daoism. They come about as your divine self crosses over into the manifest realm… they slowly devolve into emotions and emotional reactivity (the virtue of wisdom for instance devolves into fear).

Daoist practice aims to turn this process around so that the base fears turn back into the classical virtues (De)… and then eventually as you pass the ‘mysterious gate’ you return back into your divine or original self. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If we look at  it  from TCM or  Daoist view of   qi  , then it is quite simple :  All emotions : Anger, jealousy , anxiety , fear ,sadness ..  we get from daily life do have effects on  our organs' qi   ,  obstructing  our refining them as a whole *  . Although by focusing our mind at the lower dantian we start to pull those qi  together around our mind , any serious fluctuation of our emotions, say get very mad at something , can smash our achievement easily . And the higher level we attain, the more severe a damage of  such emotional burst to our body will be .
Besides , it is only after those qi  having become not so chaotic and come together , can we consolidate  an integrated Mind from them .  So , Daoist emphasize of  virtue does have both  moral and practical  consideration.

*The  exact saying is  "pack those five different  qi and return them to the source" (  ' 五氣朝元' )   .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 2

In the qigong school I am most familiar with there is also a strong emphasis on morality (Pangu Shengong). It was also brought to the public in China in the early 1990s.

In my understanding, focusing on morality is a path towards emptying yourself of issues and obstructions clouding insight / wisdom. On a base level those issues may lead to feelings like anger or jealousy, which “overconsume your qi” and lead to health issues (a la the TCM understanding). So a first teaching is that cultivating yourself this way may improve your health.

But it can also a path towards achieving a calm mind, which I understand most paths to unfold into. Practically, you have issues and preoccupations that occupy your thoughts. By focusing on others, you take your own issues more lightly, which can also open your heart and help connect to the divine / higher levels. Eventually you can release those issues as you move forward in life, and you feel more present and clear.

I think where I’ve felt myself (and seen others) get “stuck” in a teaching like is when you latch onto various moralistic notions or achievements as the path itself, rather as just way to release issues, calm your mind, and develop insight / wisdom. I think that is why many traditions and religions eventually move past an emphasis on morality as you progress.

anyways, just my understanding!

Edited by nyerstudent
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, nyerstudent said:

I think that is why many traditions and religions eventually move past an emphasis on morality as you progress.

Morality is less important in the beginning, much more important in the intermediate and advanced stage - then, as you say, it’s dropped altogether at the very advanced stage (when true, uncontrived virtue becomes the norm).

The reason is that in the beginning you’re just learning stuff - you haven’t developed any internal power - so even the normal everyday social norms and laws will keep you in line.

In the intermediate to advanced stage - that’s when morality becomes paramount. As your internal power grows it will feed every wayward aspect of your acquired mind. We all know the phenomenon of ‘power tripping’ - well it’s not just American cops and Karens in menial official positions that get this way it certainly happens to cultivators too.

They suddenly feel this rush of inner strength and confidence and before they know it they’re easily justifying manipulating people and things to satisfy their craving for some base desire (power, social status, sex, money etc)

At the very advanced stage, constraints of morality simply don’t apply anymore. One’s behaviour becomes effortlessly ‘saintly’ - there’s no craving, no need to bolster the self identity - so any notion of selfishness or emotional reactivity falls away and True Virtue shines forth unconditionally from that person.

I’d also say that most people think they’re way more advanced than they really are… and are quick to let go of morality waaaay before they’re even close to the advanced stage…

That’s why you get so many ‘celibate’ gurus that sleep with their students and embezzle all the money they can - in their mind, they’re enlightened - morality doesn’t apply to them anymore :rolleyes:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, freeform said:

In the intermediate to advanced stage - that’s when morality becomes paramount. As your internal power grows it will feed every wayward aspect of your acquired mind. We all know the phenomenon of ‘power tripping’ - well it’s not just American cops and Karens in menial official positions that get this way it certainly happens to cultivators too.

Thanks, great points!

No claims to my own "power" certainly (would characterize myself in the beginner stage!), but after several years of my own practice, I've noticed heightened intuition and sensitivity to others. This can feed arrogance, or ironically, irritate and close you off as you perceive disconnects more readily (ex. what someone says vs. actually feels). 

Having a grounded ethical framework in the practice can help you release or integrate the new information you're receiving, vs. getting bogged down and frustrated or even alienated from others. At least that's been my experience.  

Edited by nyerstudent
  • Like 3