Sign in to follow this  
S:C

How does one recognize a decent TCM practitioner?

15 hours ago, questionmark said:

Thanks for that hint, @Trunk! :) With those keywords I might have found someone, with whom I'd feel comfortable with. Although it might take me a while to get there!

This

and this

made me wonder, if there can be also harm in seeing a practitioneer, who might - get you wrong or treat the wrong acupuncture points... If the method has the possibility do good, it also has the possibility to do harm, of course.

TCM (and homeopathy, for that matter) are nowhere as invasive as conventional Western medicine. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of adverse effects, though.

If the diagnosis would be a "kidney weakness on both sides" and "heart being out of balance / energy", - is that sufficient?

He said he would go for the general meridian (on the back - Du  meridian) and the bladder meridian first. If that wouldnt help, he'd go for the kidneys and heart more directly. He couldn't tell me the numbers of the meridians, as he learned the points by their chinese names (...)

He also said, the wouldn't needle more than the chosen points, because If he did, I might not come back. :lol:

Is there some inital aggravation like in homeopathy common?

Yes, it happens.

Is the phantom needle phenomenon a common one? Does it say anything if and how the needling worked?

He didn't use plastic tubes to insert the needles, but checked the skin for how deep the needles should go.

Of course it's weird to cast doubt about someones expertise who is in the field for several decades. (I know.)

Just don't know if I feel fit for the follow up acupuncture session as previously arranged last time and whether that might kick me outta balance even more. Or whether I should wait (a few weeks) and take the time to see the one with the japanese style?

Thoughts? :D

If you feel a marked degree of discomfort after the initial treatment, communicate about with your practitioner. It may take a while to ascertain whether or not a treatment is beneficial for you. If you jump from one therapist to another, chances are that nothing of value will develop.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this