dwai

DK Yoo vs Bradley Scott

Not sure how many here have watched the 6-round boxing match between DK Yoo and former UFC fighter Bradley Scott. I was initially only casually curious about it, since it was being positioned as a “martial artist vs trained professional fighter/athlete” type of contest.

I’ve seen some of DK Yoo’s YouTube videos where he seems to be blending systema, Chen taijiquan, etc into a JKD type of system — a curiosity for sure. He reminds me of Bruce Lee with his movements etc. 

Anyway, I was curious enough (and/or bored enough) last night to pay the 20$ for the fight and watched it. I have to say, we can give credit to DK Yoo for stepping into a fight with a pro fighter (retired, iirc) who outweighed him by ~ 50 Lbs, and was a good 3” taller, and about 10 years younger.

He lasted 6 full rounds, though he spent the entire time evading his bigger opponent. Which flies in the face of most MMA-types who were pontificating pre-fight that this would be over in the first round with a violent KO (by Bradley Scott). 

He showed decent stamina, ate some mean body shots, guarded himself reasonably well, and even got a few strikes in. 

So what was the outcome of this fight? That isn’t quite clear to me. It obviously wasn’t as definitive a thing as many had predicted — Yoo survived. Did it do him any good? Maybe more good than not — he after all has bragging rights now (as a martial artist who survived 6 rounds against a pro fighter). Did it do Bradley Scott any good? Maybe (made some money). Maybe not because he couldn’t demolish this guy in the first round like he said he would. 

The fight promoter made some money in the process. 

what do you all think? 

Considering the way the MMA rules basically limited a lot of his techniques, this is a net positive for Yoo because he had to fight with the delay in his mind thinking “Can’t do this because it’s illegal…” and is common when sparring. That split second you’re about to do something like an eye gouge or throat jab and finger locks: realizing the set up you instinctively do has to be changed midway affects your reflexes. Yoo adapts and based on what you described, he can take it all night long.

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Considering the way the MMA rules basically limited a lot of his techniques, this is a net positive for Yoo because he had to fight with the delay in his mind thinking “Can’t do this because it’s illegal…” and is common when sparring. That split second you’re about to do something like an eye gouge or throat jab and finger locks: realizing the set up you instinctively do has to be changed midway affects your reflexes. Yoo adapts and based on what you described, he can take it all night long.

It wasn’t like that (or at least not apparent). Yoo didn’t look comfortable by any definition of the word, but it wasn’t as if he was struggling too much either. He used the clinch and given that he was outweighed by the bigger opponent, got tossed many times. 

33 minutes ago, dwai said:

It wasn’t like that (or at least not apparent). Yoo didn’t look comfortable by any definition of the word, but it wasn’t as if he was struggling too much either. He used the clinch and given that he was outweighed by the bigger opponent, got tossed many times. 

I didn’t see the fight so I’m going by what you say. My experience with karatekas and jiujitsu folk has had various responses, which is why I figured Yoo may have had something similar.

1 hour ago, lightminefire said:

All I can say it was lots of ❤️Hugs going on from DK. I get it’s Holiday coming up but come on. Brady was on point and respectful. 

5D796066-1C8C-4EF7-A704-68B76074597D.jpeg

Now this sounds like Pacquiao and Mayweather.

• Haha 1