HHDL from the Gelug-Kagyu Tradition of Mahamudra: 

In summary, mind in Buddhism refers to experience, namely the mere arising and cognitive engaging with the contents of experience. The continuity of experience is known as the mind-stream, or "mental-continuum." It is always individual, with each moment of experience following from previous moments of experience according to the karmic laws of behavioral cause and effect. There is order in the universe, and "my" experience is never "your" experience. If I experience eating a meal, I and not you will next experience the physical sensation of being full. Buddhism does not posit a universal or collective mind.

The never-ceasing, moment-to-moment event of arising and engaging that constitutes experience, then, refers to the arising of a sight and merely seeing it, the arising of a sound and merely hearing it, the arising of a thought and merely thinking it, the arising of an emotion and merely feeling it, and so on. This is the conventional nature of mind - it gives rise to things and apprehends them. Its deepest nature is its voidness, namely that it is devoid of existing in any impossible manner, from being a physical entity itself up to involving a solid, concrete subject, content or experience. Such a mind, then, with these two true natures - or "two truths" - is the topic of mahamudra meditation.

• Like 2

Mind is a changing, variable thing, while Spirit/Self  is not a changing, variable thing. 

Our individual minds or particular compositions (so to speak) are really part of the vast mind which

pure consciousness or the truth beyond mind/stuff knows, a knowing which is not dependent upon  

nor which can not be found in said mind.  Joy without sorrow or doubt is realization of that.

(as deeply pointed to in  the Upanishads)

Om Tat Sat

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1