Sign in to follow this  
Inner Alchemy

Favorite translations

What are your favorite translations of the I Ching?  I like the Wilhelm/Baynes version a lot and own a hard copy, but have found Stephen Karcher's Mothering Change I Ching to be helpful as well.  I recently found the Eclectic Energies I Ching online, and I enjoyed it.  I have also read a few of the other I Ching sites online, including Cafe Au Soul.  I feel I get something a little different from each one, and I learn new things about the I Ching and various hexagrams.  It seems that each different translation provides a little piece of the puzzle, as long as the translation is in line with the original intended voice.   

One of my new year projects is to gain an understanding of the I Ching. The Richard Wilhelm translation was recommended so I bought that and Carol K Anthony's 'A Guide to the I Ching' as well.

I am a complete novice but I feel quite excited at the prospect. Several people that I had great respect for, valued the subject highly.

• Like 3

I recently found two translations of the I Ching that I really like.  One is "The Complete I Ching" by Alfred Huang.  This one stays very faithful to the original Chinese I Ching.  This version of the I Ching is available for free (pdf) here: http://www.labirintoermetico.com/09IChing/Huang_A_The_complete_I_Ching.pdf.

The second version I found is called "The Tao of I Ching", by Jou, Tsang Hwa.  I really like this version but I think I prefer Huang's version overall.  However, the Tsang Hwa Jou text offers several elements that are not offered in the Huang text.  I really like having both of these books to consult.  

Sign in to follow this