dwai

Father of Light, Mother of Darkness

Most religious traditions (Abrahamic ones especially) view God as male, Light, illuminating. This has been wired into our psyches and minds for the most part, even in ancient civilizational cultures like India which emphasize the divine feminine quite emphatically (a result of colonization/cultural cross-pollination with the abrahamic traditions, imho). 

A most interesting lucid dream happened in the early hours of the morning today. I was having a conversation/discussion with someone about the nature of light and darkness, God as the male God of Light. This person was arguing that God is male, Light, and how darkness is “bad”. My counter to that was, “Have you considered that God is actually female, and that darkness is not necessary bad/opposite of light?”

And further more, “consider God as the Mother, nurturing and nourishing us. We are nourished and nurtured in the dark with dreams, where entire worlds arise within our minds, processing/resolving issues encountered in the waking state. Also, deep relaxation and rest in the darkness of deep sleep. The night/darkness is not something to be feared, but rather, something to revel in. The mother rests when darkness turns to light. She nurtures and nourishes us at night, so we can act in the world of waking during the day…”

So my dream debater asked, “So, what then of the God of Light/The Father?”

At which point, regrettably,  I came out of the dream. And it got me thinking. What indeed? 

Are light and darkness two separate things? Are they not, two sides of the same coin? One can’t know light without darkness, and vice versa. The duality only exists if one looks at them as two distinct and separate things. It’s always darkness and light, mother and father, yin and yang (Of course, none of this is new stuff for the daoists here…).

Is the divine really “male” anymore or any less than it is “female” ? Aren’t we the ones projecting certain attributes on to the divine based on our own predilections/fears/whims? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dwai said:

Most religious traditions (Abrahamic ones especially) view God as male, Light, illuminating. This has been wired into our psyches and minds for the most part, even in ancient civilizational cultures like India which emphasize the divine feminine quite emphatically (a result of colonization/cultural cross-pollination with the abrahamic traditions, imho). 

A most interesting lucid dream happened in the early hours of the morning today. I was having a conversation/discussion with someone about the nature of light and darkness, God as the male God of Light. This person was arguing that God is male, Light, and how darkness is “bad”. My counter to that was, “Have you considered that God is actually female, and that darkness is not necessary bad/opposite of light?”

And further more, “consider God as the Mother, nurturing and nourishing us. We are nourished and nurtured in the dark with dreams, where entire worlds arise within our minds, processing/resolving issues encountered in the waking state. Also, deep relaxation and rest in the darkness of deep sleep. The night/darkness is not something to be feared, but rather, something to revel in. The mother rests when darkness turns to light. She nurtures and nourishes us at night, so we can act in the world of waking during the day…”

At which point, regrettably,  I came out of the dream. And it got me thinking. What indeed? 

Are light and darkness two separate things? Are they not, two sides of the same coin? One can’t know light without darkness, and vice versa. The duality only exists if one looks at them as two distinct and separate things. It’s always darkness and light, mother and father, yin and yang (Of course, none of this is new stuff for the daoists here…).

Is the divine really “male” anymore or any less than it is “female” ? Aren’t we the ones projecting certain attributes on to the divine based on our own predilections/fears/whims? 

Dwai, as you well know the Upanishads point to the sun a great deal (as the door to Brahman or the un-manifest)

But during or as emanated manifestation becomes the dance of light, dark and everything in between so to speak. 

Anyway I'd say there is non-evil aspect of darkness as you imply and there is also an evil aspect of darkness (as a willful turning against and away from Dharma resulting in "dark" karma) which Brahman is free of per revealed scripture.

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

I seem to recall from my Western esoteric days that this is pretty much how they put it. I've been too engrained in Buddhism that the Christian-type Western concepts seem weird to me. For instance, I think the Tantric polarity makes more sense since you can map it directly onto experience.

What I find interesting about these conceptual maps is that they form a type of bridge from the conceptual mind to the nonconceptual reality. One can either cross the bridge to the nonconceptual (rare), or attempt to bring the nonconceptual down into the conceptual realm (common) thereby solidifying (crucifying?) and killing it. I suppose from a more Theosophic POV, the first is evolution and the second involution. 

• Like 3

Cannot contribute anything about asian worldviews and concepts that isn't already known here - what comes to my mind is what Mozart and Schickaneder did with the 'Magic Flute' Opera, if anyone is into music here... (which is set before ancient egypt) At some matinée at the theater they told before, that in fact originally they had it planned out differently before the publication. Queen of the Night should then have been King of the Night, - as the greedy, passionate, angry, vengeful, distrustful, scheming man instead of woman. Sarastro, with his (strange and easy to risk someone's life and sanity) brotherhood (who doesn't seem to support free will of the individual either !!) stands for the light, the humanistic ideals, benevolence, should in their plan have been the female character. 

For whatever reason - don't know if this is even true - they were obligated to exchange the male / female parts, - (doesn't make quite sense to me, however should any man be ever able to sing the "Queen of the Night Aria" ? Or did they really change that much ? )

Once I wondered, if the Queen of the Night should have been a symbol for the catholic church and  Sarastro with his 'sevenfold sun circle' the liberty, truth, reason and individualism of the siècle du lumière, - 'age of enlightenment' which started with the Diderot, D'Alembert, Rousseau, Voltaire, the first encyclopedia, science development and voices against the cencorship and abuse of power by the catholic church and the respective ruler of the countries back then in the west.

And this could be of course an analogy to the individual and Kant's self imposed immaturity.

But then again: one can interprete almost anything into music and poetry, no? Far fetched for sure.

Anyways, the whole thing always irritated me. (It seems something doesn't fit in the opera.)

However, - one does seem to find both concepts (male and female) in males and females. As well as darkness and light.
About the divine, - somewhat I'd equate consciousness with light, and birth / creation with the darkness, but more intuitively so, quite surely influenced by legends and stories told from a young age on. Consciousness would need something to be put into, creation without consciousness might be quite destructive in the long run... one not without the other.

Still, one seems to be more perfect  accomplished (polished) than the other, I'd say... but couldn't exist long without the other?

---

Edit: and about the not so accomplished imperfect evolving 'darkness' (in case of the flawed individual and the flawed (?) evolving world in general) I'd let Leonard Cohen answer to your foremost question... "there's a crack in everything, that's how the light get's in" - so to speak a necessary process somewhat (lyrics from anthem, see also it's torn by him, if you're interested. remarkable artist indeed!)

---

@forestofemptiness could you please get into some more details, this sounds quite interesting, or maybe just send a link or so.

Edited by questionmark
added thoughts / conclusion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Unmanifest is in "darkness" and the manifest is in "light". The unmanifest becomes manifest, and the manifest becomes unmanifest. Consider this --

"The Tao that can be named is not the absolute Tao.
The name that can be uttered is not the name of the Eternal.
As the unmanifest it is the origin of heaven and earth; manifest it is the mother of all beings.
Whoever free from attachment looks inward with detachment attains the vision of the Unmanifest;
Whoever is ego-bound and clings to greed sees but the outer show.
The Manifest and the Unmanifest although different in name are one in essence.
This unity is the mystery of the Tao the unfathomable
Of the primordial ground the starting point of all manifestation."
-  Translated by K. O. Schmidt, 1975, Chapter 1 

• Like 2

On 17/11/2021 at 4:31 AM, dwai said:

Is the divine really “male” anymore or any less than it is “female” ?

No

On 17/11/2021 at 4:31 AM, dwai said:

Aren’t we the ones projecting certain attributes on to the divine based on our own predilections/fears/whims? 

Yes.  "Man is made in the image of God, by God  ... but God is made in the image of Man , by Man . "

We can consider 'the divine'  manifests in  and via anyway we 'want' , it need not only be  predilections/fears/whims.

Its up to us what God we want to experience  yet most of us have had one foisted upon us . 

.... it might even be,   ' Get down Jehovah'  on the dance floor ;

image.png.88a23a36dfc33354f6fb2de69a7ef064.png

• Haha 1

consider that if one goes inside of light (or if you will the first Prana springing from the Self) - darkness per se is not found although if one wants to use the term darkness for that which can not be known by mind, intellect or ego and thus is really unknowable per those tools,  then an agreement or disagreement  about the meaning of the term would be helpful... not unlike meanings about the sometimes misunderstood or even dubious use of the term emptiness, at least imo.

Edited by old3bob

On 17/11/21 at 1:31 AM, dwai said:

This Western notion that the Father/light is good and that darkness is bad is regrettable and unhelpful to the psyche and leads to all sorts of imbalance. Assuming there is a subtle reality (and I believe there is) how can anyone discover it with an open mind if they are biased from the start? And how can the two polarities start working together if one side isn’t even acknowledged let alone nurtured? Yoga acknowledges these two as ida and pingala nadi’s, this is a saner and sound basis from which to start IMO. But it is equally a mistake to imagine that they are beyond polarity, though I believe they are capable of union. 

People in the Western theology system can find balance still, many orders have a devotion to Mary, and there is the curious case of the black Madonna, a perfect symbol for the female/dark side of duality. 

image.jpeg.11e5397f9f93be7cb55d0dc00a42fb6f.jpeg

And the words at the bottom - Nigra sum sed formosa, meaning "I am black but beautiful" (from the Song of Songs, 1:5)

• Like 2

Btw, we have a telling or revealing saying from the NT in: (via 3rd eye vision)

“But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!”

(whereas when ida and pingala balance and join mystics give  witness of yellow light)   

4 hours ago, Bindi said:

This Western notion that the Father/light is good and that darkness is bad is regrettable and unhelpful to the psyche and leads to all sorts of imbalance. Assuming there is a subtle reality (and I believe there is) how can anyone discover it with an open mind if they are biased from the start? And how can the two polarities start working together if one side isn’t even acknowledged let alone nurtured? Yoga acknowledges these two as ida and pingala nadi’s, this is a saner and sound basis from which to start IMO. But it is equally a mistake to imagine that they are beyond polarity, though I believe they are capable of union. 

People in the Western theology system can find balance still, many orders have a devotion to Mary, and there is the curious case of the black Madonna, a perfect symbol for the female/dark side of duality. 

image.jpeg.11e5397f9f93be7cb55d0dc00a42fb6f.jpeg

And the words at the bottom - Nigra sum sed formosa, meaning "I am black but beautiful" (from the Song of Songs, 1:5)

Black Madonna ! ?   No  no no ..... its just that some statues got old and dirty  , that's all .

" The Chartres Cathedral in France recently completed a controversial decade-long state-funded renovation. The impressive Gothic cathedral is now brighter, lighter, and shinier. And the 16th-century Black Madonna in it is now white.

Defenders of the project claim that the public outcry is unwarranted. The Madonna, like the rest of the cathedral, had accumulated smoke and dirt. They did their best to restore things to what they looked like when Chartres was built 800 years ago. The entire goal was to create distance from what they call “Gothic doom and gloom.”

The old 'Black ' Madonna  .... 'clearly  blackened  by all that incense and candle smoke ;

1*Gu3UstJVkamB72CDDT9--w.jpeg

[  They are all copies of an original, that's all  ;  " The image of Our Lady of Czestochowa gets its nickname "Black Madonna" from the soot residue which discolours the painting as a result of centuries of votive lights and candles burned in front of it."

- some type of religious miracle soot that only accumulates on the  hands, face and other exposed parts  of the statues 'skin'  ... but not on other parts of the statue  :) 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/34210/who-is-the-black-madonna-and-why-is-she-so-important

I mean , that is direct from the Catholic news agency  so it must be true  ..... they also state  that " ... the image dates back to the time of the Twelve Apostles, and was painted by the hand of St. Luke the Evangelist, who is believed to have used a tabletop from a table built by Jesus during his time as a carpenter. ]

Now, here she is after the clean up    ( with some white paint  ;) )

1*oIrF6O0EFDs-VVnmGHxqCQ.jpeg

https://historyofyesterday.com/the-mystery-of-the-black-madonna-a0503c5f537

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

There seem to be two particularly strong theories.

The first is that the images were darkened to illustrate a text from the Song of Songs: "I am black but beautiful." [Negra sum sed formosa] In support of this theory, note that many of the black Madonnas exist in France, and date from around the time of the crusades, when Bernard of Clairvaux wrote numerous commentaries on the Canticles, comparing the soul to the bride, as well as many on Our Lady. He was also known to have visited several shrines of the Black Madonna, for example: Chatillon and Affligem. In the Gothic period texts explicitly interpreted the Bride in Canticles as referring especially to Mary. Once artistic precedent had been set, subsequent black Madonnas may be explained by artistic convention rather than theological motivation. Based on historical correlations, Ean Begg speculates that the genre developed from an esoteric popular religion common among the Templars and Cathars, perhaps as a complement to the impetus from Bernard.

The other prominent theory is briefly summarized by Stephen Benko: "The Black Madonna is the ancient earth-goddess converted to Christianity." His argument begins by noting that many goddesses were pictured as black, among them Artemis of Ephesus, Isis, Ceres, and others. Ceres, the Roman goddess of agricultural fertility, is particularly important. Her Greek equivalent, Demeter, derives from Ge-meter or Earth Mother. The best fertile soil is black in color and the blacker it is, the more suited it is for agriculture.

https://udayton.edu/imri/mary/b/black-madonnas-origin-history-controversy.php

15 hours ago, Bindi said:

Yoga acknowledges these two as ida and pingala nadi’s, this is a saner and sound basis from which to start IMO. But it is equally a mistake to imagine that they are beyond polarity, though I believe they are capable of union.

The two “poles” are aspects of one whole. Is that, in which polarity (seems to) arise(s), not beyond polarity? :)  

Anyway coming back to the Mother, Hinduism’s most iconic Mother, Kali is depicted as black (or more artistically, Blue). She is also called “Mahamaya” (the great illusory power). Consciousness (Shiva) and the power of veiling (Maya) are considered two sides of the same coin in some Hindu tantric traditions, and in fact in shaktism, the Mother is considered same as  Brahman (which incidentally is neither a masculine nor a feminine term).

On 11/16/2021 at 9:31 AM, dwai said:

Most religious traditions (Abrahamic ones especially) view God as male, Light, illuminating.

Well, not really.  The original Abrahamic religon would view God as creater of light not light itself.  Isaiah 45:7.  In addition to this; the verse also distinguishes between darkness and evil the two are not the same.  Darkness is a blessing when traveling in the desert.  Further support for this is in Psalms 91 where one finds refuge under the shelter of God.  So, for me, the whole god is light and light is good metaphor falls short.

From my understanding the idea of God as male is useful for cultivating humility during prayer; but if it's taken too literally it can cause all kinds of problems.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

the idea of God as male is useful for cultivating humility during prayer

Very interesting. Why do you think that is the case?

" Mother of Light, and the Gods! Mother of Music, awake!
Silence and Speech are at odds; Heaven and Hell are at stake. '

Pan to Luna ;  'The Rite of Luna' .

4 hours ago, dwai said:

Masculine is distant, aloof, and all encompassing.  

7 hours ago, dwai said:

The two “poles” are aspects of one whole. Is that, in which polarity (seems to) arise(s), not beyond polarity? :)  

I don’t think so. The central channel seems a better candidate for beyond polarity to me. 

Anyway coming back to the Mother, Hinduism’s most iconic Mother, Kali is depicted as black (or more artistically, Blue). She is also called “Mahamaya” (the great illusory power). Consciousness (Shiva) and the power of veiling (Maya) are considered two sides of the same coin in some Hindu tantric traditions, and in fact in shaktism, the Mother is considered same as  Brahman (which incidentally is neither a masculine nor a feminine term).

But aren’t ‘illusory’ and ‘veiling’ something to go beyond as they are limiting and restrict consciousness? On the internal subtle level Ida Nadi isn’t a negative thing, perfect flow through and balance between Ida and Pingala is required. Ida isn’t ultimately a limiting concept. 

My own understanding of ‘the Black’ is as the active force, capable of subtle action, with ‘the White’ as the words or intention directing the action. Something like the brains and the brawn, working together. Each are distinct, but take one out of the picture and nothing can happen, there is only chaos and misaligned intention.

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

It is a pretty common theme, not only in the Bible, but in commentaries. 

Some (21) Bible verses:

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-light/

1)  I noticed that most of these are from the New Testament; I was speaking about the original version Pre-Jesus

2)  There's only a few on the list which claim that God is light.  In Psalms it is likely poetic imagery.  The verse in Micah might be taken literally, but it's really only one verse.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No doubt there are many devotional practices to gods which cultivate humility if departing from the Abrahamic POV. 

Maybe , but I dont think that we can count practices associated with Nuit as 'cultivating humility'  ... specifically .   Nuit could be seen as " distant, aloof, and all encompassing "   , but I dont know  why , all of a sudden,  humility is mentioned .... in that context .

The system doesnt laud the self above all else , it does address the dangers of that but 'humility' is a product of the 'overbearing father'  / required in the Abrahamic religions ....... 'fear God ' .  I mean, these guys didnt even have a concept of heaven or an afterlife that was not some place of neutral doom and gloom .  . . . .   "The dead know nothing . " as the Bible says .

Nuit's message is one of joy and celebration in life  , I would  not say it focuses on humility  .

.... but then again , she is a female deity   ;) 

"  I am above you and in you. My ecstasy is in yours. My joy is to see your joy. ...

I give unimaginable joys on earth: certainty, not faith, while in life, upon death; peace unutterable, rest, ecstasy; nor do I demand aught in sacrifice.  ...

Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!  ....

Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you!. I am the blue-lidded daughter of Sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky. "

- not exactly cultivating humility

Edited by Nungali

24 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Maybe , but I dont think that we can count practices associated with Nuit as 'cultivating humility'  ... specifically .   Nuit could be seen as " distant, aloof, and all encompassing "   , but I dont know  why , all of a sudden,  humility is mentioned .... in that context .

That was from here:

On 11/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, Daniel said:

idea of God as male is useful for cultivating humility during prayer

On 11/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, dwai said:

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

16 hours ago, Nungali said:

So is Nuit  .   :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuit

The original idea I put forward was that a masculine god who is distant and aloof and all encompassing can be used to cultivate humility.  I thought, incorrectly, that you were proposing that devition to Nuit can also be used to cultivate humility.

24 minutes ago, Nungali said:

The system doesnt laud the self above all else , it does address the dangers of that but 'humility' is a product of the 'overbearing father'  / required in the Abrahamic religions ....... 'fear God ' .  I mean, these guys didnt even have a concept of heaven or an afterlife that was not some place of neutral doom and gloom .  . . . .   "The dead know nothing . " as the Bible says .

Nuit's message is one of joy and celebration in life  , I would  not say it focuses on humility  .

.... but then again , she is a female deity   ;) 

"  I am above you and in you. My ecstasy is in yours. My joy is to see your joy. ...

I give unimaginable joys on earth: certainty, not faith, while in life, upon death; peace unutterable, rest, ecstasy; nor do I demand aught in sacrifice.  ...

Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!  ....

Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you!. I am the blue-lidded daughter of Sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky. "

- not exactly cultivating humility

Thank you for explaining that.  It makes good sense.

Edited by Daniel

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

Interesting. Never would have considered all-encompassing. The Feminine seems to be more "all-encompassing" to me -- a mother's love for instance. What (if any) correlation is there between "distant", "aloof" and "all-encompassing"?

• Like 1

Just now, dwai said:

Interesting. Never would have considered all-encompassing. The Feminine seems to be more "all-encompassing" to me -- a mother's love for instance. What (if any) correlation is there between "distant", "aloof" and "all-encompassing"?

It's all encompassing from afar, imagining this the devotee is like a speck of dust in comparrisson.  That's the idea, at least.  A mental visualization intended to bring a specific emotional response.

• Like 1