Apech

Six Thoughts About the Way

OK, this is going to be a bit rambling and tinged with Buddhism - but I am trying to make general points here, so bear with me.

1.  There's usually quite a lot of emphasis initially in cultivation on ethos and shaping yourself to be a better person.  Sometimes this is couched in terms of 'ego' and so on - as if somehow by effort you can reduce your ego - which is of course impossible because if you had that strength then you would have a strong ego.  There is also quite a lot of stuff about not actually having a self!  which is hopelessly confusing and can be unhelpful (even if it is metaphysically true).  What is true, I think, is that there is a process of self-referentialism which is harmful to practice because it is weak and victim orientated.  Self-concern, in this sense, is a poison.  A poison which prevents energy development.  Your subtle body is tainted by feedback loops which make it shrink or not develop properly.

I know we talk about being selfless - and that this is good - that it is a moral teaching - but actually this is a practice which aims at self-benefit.  The more you can not fall into self pity or even hold views that make your needs the most central thing - then this allows tightness in energy to release and for circulation to improve.  Putting others before yourself and so on is a method for squeezing out self concern and building a sound subtle body.

Our normal state is like this - kind, generous, creative, open.  And the first step towards this is to ease out the habit of self concern.

Thoughts?  More later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I think the successful way of cultivating such a method in which one deals with their own ego is to self reflect and recognize subtle views and behaviors, so that one can truly have the opportunity to see past and rise above themselves through change. The change process itself involves not feeding those recognized behavior patterns and perspectives, in order to empty ones cup and have a clear and broader view on life. Practicing virtue is a way to facilitate that. I think that when this is practiced to a high degree, where one's awareness is no longer swayed or biased towards anything, one can reach the so called emptiness.

As for the ego thats always talked about, i like to think that its just the lower self, which are the thoughts and mind that are formed as a result of having a physical body. And instead of reducing it, the better term would be integrating it with your higher self, which is your soul. 

Self reflection is hard though, many people (me) would rather move mountains than even consider the fact that they might be wrong. 

Edited by CozySpace
  • Like 2

(an aspect of "self concern" to me ) if or when we say something like "my true Self",  that tends to make it particular to an individual being which is one level - but going further it would be "the true Self", which is not in some way particular to any being.