steve

Status change for steve (mod --> member)

Now can we have you start sharing some of your sublime wisdom again? :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dwai said:

Now can we have you start sharing some of your sublime wisdom again? :) 

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Spoiler

... and stop being too wrapped up in the Covid debate!

The consequences of being overly enmeshed in such a polarizing and contentious topic are every bit as harmful as the disease and side effects of treatment themselves...

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, steve said:

Greetings Bums,

I've made the decision to step back from moderating. I feel a need to prioritize other commitments in my personal and professional life. To be clear, this has nothing to do with the recent changes related to Covid discussion and PPD's. I support Trunk and his compassionate efforts to balance freedom and social responsibility here. I know that he is listening to all points of view and has pure intentions. I'm proud and grateful for the work of the current and recent moderators and admin to foster a civil and supportive forum. I deeply appreciate the support I've received from so many of you including @Trunk and @sean. It was a privilege and a pleasure to work with @Apech, @thelerner, @ilumairen, @liminal_luke, @Bindi, @zerostao, and @dwai over the past 16 months. Stepping back is bittersweet but necessary for me right now. Like it or not, I do plan to continue hanging around...

:wub:

Is that ^ a picture of a member trying to strangle you while you contemplate hitting yourself in he head with that brick  to end it all ?

-  seriously though , I am a bit concerned  ... for us, not   for you .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve said:

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Hide contents

... and stop being too wrapped up in the Covid debate!

The consequences of being overly enmeshed in such a polarizing and contentious topic are every bit as harmful as the disease and side effects of treatment themselves...

:ph34r:

Some Zappa ;) 

• Like 1

@steve

You’ve been a huge stabilising influence on this forum. While I can fully understand your need to move away from a staff role on Dao Bums and am profoundly thankful for the effort you’ve put in, my overwhelming emotion on reading your message was one of sadness. And on that I’ll say no more. Rather, I’ll let this complex web of feelings wash through me over the course of the day and hopefully some new insight will be born. It’s a beautiful sunny and mild spring day outside and I’m about to head out to do some landcare work. I’m thankful for connection to my land. Nature is a great calming and grounding influence on me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@steve,

Hey this is a shame - you are clearly a genuine person with good intention and the lack your presence on the mod team will be sorely missed.  Best wishes with whatever you need to deal with in the real world.  I certainly hope you will hang around and keep your connection with the rest of us poor fools.

Just remember that you are - and always will be - 'steve on the internet' ... and not everyone can say that!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Apech said:

@steve,

Hey this is a shame - you are clearly a genuine person with good intention and the lack your presence on the mod team will be sorely missed.  Best wishes with whatever you need to deal with in the real world.  I certainly hope you will hang around and keep your connection with the rest of us poor fools.

Just remember that you are - and always will be - 'steve on the internet' ... and not everyone can say that!

http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/about/

https://www.virginplus.ca/en/support/internet/interactive-guides.html?p=modemsteve_modemsteve&a=how_to_reboot_my_modem_steve

• Haha 3

I googled “things called steve” and…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_(atmospheric_phenomenon)

From Nature, “ …Steve’s distinctly different shape and behaviour suggests that his origins lie in some unusual chemistry involving very hot ionised gas.”

My family would agree

61AE443B-201D-428E-8484-0D9B69872C74.jpeg

^
                                        |

Steve on carryout night

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Better to burn on, then burn out.

Thank you so much for your years of service. 

(i figure its about 35 in internet years)

The hard decisions,

the sleepless nights,

the pillows strangled B).

You were and are, a rock and beacon of considerate humanity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hi Steve,

I´m sad and surprised to hear you´re leaving the mod team.  My understanding of impermanence could use some shoring up because in my mind you were the Forever Mod.  But of course that´s not true for any of us, and perhaps it´s for the best that we weave in and out of various roles, on the forum and in life. Yueya´s observations are often piercingly apt and this last one is no exception: you´ve been "a huge stabilizing influence on the forum."  Modding is hard work.  It takes considerable emotional energy to stand steady as the winds of public opinion blow all about (or at least that was my experience during my stint).  But whatever individual Bums might think of particular modding decisions, what´s obvious to all has been the goodwill, seriousness, hardwork, and sense of responsibility you´ve brought to the job.  It was an honor to work with you for awhile.  I hope this new phase as a regular member proves to be peaceful and restorative. 

• Like 4

Steve, it has been both an honor and privilege to witness your humility, honesty, and integrity as a moderator.

You sir set a very high standard of expectations and behavior!

I am sure I am not alone in wishing you peace, and many blessings!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, steve said:

I feel a need to prioritize other commitments in my personal and professional life.

Spoiler

th?id=OIP.-wpCa6G8FkK4ZXdvUsOYSQEyDL%26p

• Haha 3

@steve

(Obviously) Super grateful for all your help on staff, your presence in membership, and maybe sometime in the future if there's natural space in your life that you wanna help in staff ... (video)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Trunk, 

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your contribution to this forum which is on par with Steve's.

A fair, honest and humble Administer!

With much respect and gratitude,

please carry on!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, natural said:

Trunk, 

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your contribution to this forum which is on par with Steve's.

A fair, honest and humble Administer!

With much respect and gratitude,

please carry on!

without those two: Trunk & steve, this site wouldn't be up and running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll add that trunk, ilumairen, zerostao, and dwai are a wonderful team. I hope they all continue to serve the community as they have for as long as they feel called and capable. They have a wonderful balance of views, all tempered by principles and empathy. I deeply appreciate their previous and continued service!

🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

💋💋💋

• Like 5

Love the Godfather references here. I wonder if someone will add a third. 

Stay in peace and continue to advise wisely like Don Vito in the Godfather and leave a lasting presence just like him and his actor Marlon Brando in real life.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1