Taomeow

Voices from the world -- of space and time

Inspired by zerostao's "Voices from Murica" thread

I'll start with my recent discovery, a Russian "progressive folk" group, Otava Yo, and their tribute-to-the-1920s song called "A Cat Has Four Legs."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Makes me smile :) a real smile. I have followed this very Russian "progressive folk" band for maybe 3-4 years. I find them to have great clean energy and their music is ear candy.

Yes, Voices from the world--of space and time. And what better band to kick off the thread than them; they have such an enthusiasm, wit, humor, great music---and I'm sure much more, my foreign language skills very much lacking, so I short change myself, and can only wonder what I lost in the translation. However, I do feel their energy and I enthusiastically look forward to see how this thread develops.

Thank you, Taomeow, for such a well timed and thoughtful thread.

• Thanks 1

Many many moons ago  some 'tourists'  travelled through my little 'village' , taking a diversion on the way up the coast. They had been visiting Sydney University and performing there .  

I say village , but its just a 'location' ; a free camping park by he river , a  small store and a  nicely done up community hall . So they decided to put a show on for us at the hall .

WOW !  Talk about unexpected !  A huge band of guys from PNG - a mix of tribal costumes , bones thru noses, dreads down to the floor nearly , a mix of trad instruments  ( log drums, nose flutes ) etc . and electric guitars drum kit, brass section . They went off !  A And they liked the crowd there and the vibe  ... 'just like home' they said . And they said, at home people just come up on stage and grab an instrument and join in , we dont mind  . So we did . That was night to remember .  They liked it so  much, they used to return each year for a show and  party.

But that was years back ... so please excuse  old bad quality vid  (its nothing compared to the live performances I saw  )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Japanese Millenials:  Man, the Elders are really dragging us down!

Ningen Isu (3 pensioners):  Oh yea?  Hold our sake!

Just straight wall of sound from a 3 piece... and those lyrics.  Solid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Written by my teacher's * teacher  - his masterpiece ;

* one time , for one workshop - amazing experience  .   I actually got to play on the gamalan ( the two huge gongs at the back) on an old gamalan set that I used to admire as a child that was locked up behind glass at the Australian Museum in Sydney (they got a new one for display and the old went to Sydney Uni Gamalan Orchestra ) .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

On 10/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, Nungali said:

Written by my teacher's * teacher  - his masterpiece ;

* one time , for one workshop - amazing experience  .   I actually got to play on the gamalan ( the two huge gongs at the back) on an old gamalan set that I used to admire as a child that was locked up behind glass at the Australian Museum in Sydney (they got a new one for display and the old went to Sydney Uni Gamalan Orchestra ) .

I played in a Balinese gamelan angklung in college. Got to play at the Indonesian embassy in DC. Fantastic experience! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve said:

I played in a Balinese gamelan angklung in college. Got to play at the Indonesian embassy in DC. Fantastic experience! 

Great .     But what type kanakes,  dogdog lojor, gebrag, badeng, bungko, badud, buncis, calung, padaeng, sarinande, arumba, toel or sri murni ?  

^_^

Do you know how the angklung got its name ?    The teacher  stands out the front and says  "  ... and you with the bamboo thingy , I want you to go;   gklung gklung .....  gklung  ....   and gklung    -  gklung gklung .....  gklung  ....   and gklung    -  Gklung gklung .....  gklung  ....   and gklung    -

:) 

me , I am more of a  ' gong ageng '    man , myself .

( and of course, for this one , teacher is pointing at me  every so often and  saying   '  Gong again  ' .   

With occasional  gloshes of the suwukan

( and of course , again,   that instrument used to be played by Sue , who was instructed to 'wack 'em' . )

...  okay, I will stop now  .

B)

2 hours ago, steve said:

So, what did you think of Golden Rain ?

it is streaming live, so, voices will vary, my first time listening to this channel

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

got a lot of airplay the past couple years;

and here is what got me started looking at several Japanese artists;

tracks 5 & 6