Geof Nanto

In Appreciation of Damo Mitchell

For insight into Damo Mitchell as a person, I highly recommend this video.  He discusses his aims as a teacher of Daoist arts, and at length about how being a teacher of some renown feels for him. 

Although Damo is not my teacher, and I’ve elsewhere expressed some reservations about the teaching of neidan in general, I have a great respect for him and am very happy for him to be a public face of contemporary Western Daoism.  To me he comes across as a real person in that he values the cultivation of both thinking and feeling. He’s someone who is always learning, a person of authentic humility and compassion.  

(Incidentally, Damo is a member of this forum. He joined on 7 August this year but without making a Welcome post. I suspect Trunk admitted him silently and his remarks in this video gives some insight into why he joined in that near the end he talks about his reaction to criticism of him on public forums such as Facebook and Dao Bums. Those remarks make it clear that it’s extremely unlikely for him to engage in discussion here. And I totally understand why that’s the case.  However, if he was to become an active member, this video would make an excellent Welcome post. )  

• Like 13

I don’t agree with everything he says, but he’s a good guy. And obviously he’s helping a lot of people…was good to hear his motivations and views on teaching.  

• Like 3

I have been party to some of his interactions with his students online and I have only seen exemplary behavior from him.  Helpful, knowledgable, cheerful, light-hearted, serious, no bullshit. His seniors display similar qualities. I would take the opportunity to learn with his school if it became available.

• Like 2

Damo's Hexagram descriptions are the most invaluable that I've come across in my studies of the Yijing. I see a lot of celebration for his ability to help others activate the dan tien (which I'm very thankful for as well), but wow, the clarity he brings to the connections and sequences of the Yijing is just amazing! 

• Like 3