Vajra Fist

Moving house, space clearing

We've bought a new house and should be moving in a couple of weeks.

While the previous owners were a happy family, so there's not really a concern over lingering bad energy, I still think it's a good idea to do some form of space clearing.

My initial plan was to get some tingsha, and sound them from each corner of every room.

But this isn't really my field. Would welcome some tips from fellow Bums.

• Like 1

I've seen white sage smudging recommended in some places, or else some form of aromatherapy spray.

https://www.vogue.com/article/sage-how-to-cleanse-energy-home-office-smudging

There's also this vastu mantra which is supposedly effective in clearing space. 

So that's three methods - all very confusing.

@Taomeow I trust your judgement on all things fengshui. What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

I know an Israeli architect who would hold a party in his finished structures for all the workers, investors, and owners before he'd even consider his work done. Something about bringing joy with a party celebrating things.

I know someone else who does this but also has someone like a rinpoche or a Catholic priest come in and bless the place then a party follows after that to bring joy from both spiritual and human vibrations. Not possible though with covid however...

Something to think about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I know an Israeli architect who would hold a party in his finished structures for all the workers, investors, and owners before he'd even consider his work done. Something about bringing joy with a party celebrating things.

I know someone else who does this but also has someone like a rinpoche or a Catholic priest come in and bless the place then a party follows after that to bring joy from both spiritual and human vibrations. Not possible though with covid however...

That's fascinating. I never considered the house warming party might have a traditional basis.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

That's fascinating. I never considered the house warming party might have a traditional basis.

It warms the house with joy :)

In answer to your question - even a physical thorough clean is very helpful… like literally washing down the walls and ceilings with sugar soap… airing the place out completely with all windows open… then having an official moving in day (preferably in alignment with your (and your family members) Bazi and Feng Shui of the house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, freeform said:

then having an official moving in day (preferably in alignment with your (and your family members) Bazi and Feng Shui of the house.

Thanks for this! How would one go about working out the bazi of the house? Better to talk to a professional?

Edited by Vajra Fist

2 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

While the previous owners were a happy family, so there's not really a concern over lingering bad energy, I still think it's a good idea to do some form of space clearing.

My initial plan was to get some tingsha, and sound them from each corner of every room.

If you go to a nearby Hindu temple, you can buy a right-handed Conch shell, and sound it three times before moving in to purify the space and put a protective shield around the house. You can make it a daily ritual and sound it every dusk. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vajra Fist said:

I'm all for clearing the space with feng shui and/or other traditional methods. FS methods range from very simple anyone can use to very complex that require in-depth expertise, depending on the task.  For the simple ones, I could recommend a couple of books:

Creating Sacred Space With Feng Shui, by Karen Kingston 

Space Clearing: How to Purify and Create Harmony in Your Home, by Denise Linn 

Not that much FS there, but quite a lot of good sound advice.   

• Thanks 3

Heartiest CONGRATS, Vajra Fist! Exciting times ahead! All the very best to you and yours in the new house eh!

Here's a few tips on what generally one needs to be aware of, Feng Shui wise, with regards to property. Its very basic, but to my knowledge, worthy of note - 

https://www.mydomaine.com/feng-shui-home-tips

https://www.thespruce.com/top-bad-feng-shui-house-features-1274491

Anyway, I'll leave the FS aspect to the more knowledgeable bums.

As a practicing Buddhist, this is what I did prior to moving into my house:

- Thoroughly cleaned the house from top to bottom with plenty of elbow grease :) and some blessed water from the temple.

- Maximized strategic usage of mirrors to enhance greater natural lighting in various places around the house.

- Once the mirrors were up, the whole space was given a 'spiritual' cleanse with burning of Nepalese white sage incense for 7 days.

- Finding an auspicious date on the Tibetan calendar, the altar was set up, followed by making offerings (7 cups of water, sandalwood, fresh flowers, fresh fruits, all arranged accordingly on the altar), chanting and prayers to welcome the 3 Jewels into the space.

- Put up prayer flags in the rear garden, and did a fire puja after.

- Only after did the more mundane side of things gradually unfold. The biggie for me is house plants, so I splurged some in this regard to ensure there were more than a few nice ones elegantly (and some, boldly) placed in all the different nooks and corners around the place. For some, their main interest could be music, art, or books... whichever it is, then its worth investing more in one particular thing and blending that in to create potential for a joyful, contented & harmonious environment for oneself and the fam.

I think the best thing to note for creating an overall healthy, balanced living space is that less is always more.

Cheers, man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Better to talk to a professional?

Yeah - a pro will be able to calculate your Bazi and suggest the best day to move in. Not my area of expertise at all though. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, C T said:

Heartiest CONGRATS, Vajra Fist! Exciting times ahead! All the very best to you and yours in the new house eh!

Thanks for this. I completely forgot to wish Vajra Fist for this and my apologies. May your new home bring great joy, prosperity, good health, and peace to the lives of you and your family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dwai said:

Thanks for this. I completely forgot to wish Vajra Fist for this and my apologies. May your new home bring great joy, prosperity, good health, and peace to the lives of you and your family. 

May I also offer my apologies, and best wishes for peace and love in abundance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, C T said:

- Maximized strategic usage of mirrors to enhance greater natural lighting in various places around the house.

Probably for another thread -- but I would be interested to find out whether it's a Buddhist thing or just a modern design thing.  In FS, mirrors are used strategically and sparingly -- with many prohibitions and don't's -- they are very important, but they are chiefly used to deflect sha' qi, while anywhere where there's shen qi coming in, care is taken not to bounce it back with mirrors.  A lot of emphasis is placed on using them for self-defense, and occasionally for attack.  

In my NJ home (which unfortunately was bought before I had a FS clue, and eventually revealed itself as a veritable FS nightmare), once I knew that a T-juncture road at the "facing" direction was extremely inauspicious, I placed a smallish bagua mirror on the outside of the house to deflect it.  (It was actually the kind of sha' qi you could see with your naked eye -- on a windy day, of which there are many, that juncture sucked in all the trash from the parking lot of a shopping center nearby and deposited it smack against my fence, creating an almost-daily clean-up task.  Moreover, any teenagers passing by would contribute here a soda can, there a plastic lunch box to that spot -- trash begets trash.)  I aimed the mirror at that straight stretch of the road (the "leg" of the T) facing the house, which was a quiet street with little traffic -- however, fender benders started happening there on a monthly basis, luckily the speed limit there is low so no serious accidents took place...  but I couldn't bear the thought of my bagua mirror facilitating them.  So I took it off, and continued to put up with having to remove the visible trashy part of the sha' qi like someone sentenced to community service -- indefinitely.       

7 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Tingshaw is good for sending off or sealing /affirming and intent  or 'spell'  . You mentally attach your intent to the sound and let them 'ring together' .  A good  tingshaw ( or 'magic bell' ) should be made of  magicum electrum  ( or at least , plain electrum ) and it does not stop ringing , it gets fainter and fainter until the tone passes into the 'other realm' taking your intent or spell with it . ( So you should never stop them ringing manually - dont put them down until their sound becomes inaudible .

I would prefer  a cleansing and balancing ritual , I have a few of those , but they are more 'western' practices . I am sure Buddhism, Vedanta and Daoism has similar practices .   After that you could create new intent  and use the tingshaw for that .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I've seen white sage smudging recommended in some places, or else some form of aromatherapy spray.

https://www.vogue.com/article/sage-how-to-cleanse-energy-home-office-smudging

There's also this vastu mantra which is supposedly effective in clearing space. 

So that's three methods - all very confusing.

Thats right, they are all methods .  But dont forget methods are a vehicle for your intent . Sometimes your own created ceremony can be better if it helps to  organise, focus and project your intent better .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Yeah !  Party at  VF's  new place  ! 

article-2278814-179601A2000005DC-847_634

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One of our members, Ilumairen, gave me a woo-woo method for selling my house.  She had me place acorns in the four main corners of the house. There was something else too, I can't remember.  So I tried it.

That night, there was a horrendous storm.  The lightning took down a huge tree, and all of my electronic equipment took a dive.  I had to buy new everything.

I immediately removed the acorns.  The house sold anyway  :o

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, manitou said:

One of our members, Ilumairen, gave me a woo-woo method for selling my house.  She had me place acorns in the four main corners of the house. There was something else too, I can't remember.  So I tried it.

That night, there was a horrendous storm.  The lightning took down a huge tree, and all of my electronic equipment took a dive.  I had to buy new everything.

I immediately removed the acorns.  The house sold anyway  :o

Too bad some flora like that are geographically restricted...

If you send me a picture of the house, I can try clearing it remotely with talismans. I’ve never tried it on a house before so there’s no guarantee, but it works on people, so theoretically it should work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

..... or create a storm there .

Haha I wish I knew the more badass talismans like that. Too bad my master only taught me the tame stuff like healing, exorcism, feng shui, luck, and clearing negative energy.

Yeah now that you mention it, I wouldn’t give some random guy on a forum a pic of my house either. Just ignore my last post, got a lil excited to experiment. 😅

Burning sage should do the job just fine.

(Funny thing… one of the talismans I learned is for protection from storms)

Edited by Dreamwalker

Figured I'd share a description of my clearing of our last place if anyone's interested. 

Short version is, using music, chanting (myself and recorded) and then a thorough sage smudge and while 'singing the bowl' with the intention to begin occupying and honoring what has passed.

More detailed version follows.

Spoiler

Before we moved into our current digs, I spent an afternoon and night there alone in the empty place with a stereo, some sage, a tibetan singing bowl (7 metal alloy) and a red tailed hawk's feather (totem animal and a gift from a hawk I befriended years prior).  In the afternoon, I began playing music (A-tuned to 432Hz) and spent the late afternoon cleaning and washing while the music played, setting intention and imagining my young son and wife in the space and all our good living to come.  I also acknowledged those who came before and those who will follow, setting the intention to be a good steward to the forms that would be our home for some time.

It had been freshly renovated so there was still some light construction dust, but otherwise the place was clean and already felt ready for us.   Which had stood out when we viewed it and was a big part of our choice to go with it.

After cleaning I went around and opened every internal door, pulled out all the drawyers, opened every closet and cabinet door in the entire place. 

Then I closed all the external doors and windows sealing the place up and began a thorough chanting and walk through.  I began singing the bowl while walking through chanting a mantra shared with me years before by a monk, circling the outer perimeter of the footprint of the place 9 times, then I spent as much time in the center of each room until the internal signaled all clear and moved on.

Once finished singing the place, I disabled all the smoke alarms (learned that lesson in our previous place), lit the sage smudge, grabbed the Hawk feather and began a thorough smudging, using the feather to work the smoke into every corner and crevice, nook and cranny of all empty space. 

Once saturated in smoke I settled in the center of the house and remained there until my internal signal said 'all clear'.

Last step was opening every external door and window as wide as it would and enjoying a light meal with some music.  While the ocean pushed new energy through the place.  Some time in the early hours I woke after dozing for a time and closed the front door, leaving the windows open until we returned to start moving in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2