Nintendao

Dark Matter Matters

I started thinking about this during the thread Evidence for the super natural. At first it felt a bit immature and science-fiction-y to just rattle off something like "Oh it's easy, ghosts and angels and everything is real, it is just made out of ✹dark matter✹" I keep circling back to it though, and feel like there could be something to it. I'm going to open up with some quotes about what physics is currently grappling with on the subject:

Dark matter is an invisible, mysterious substance that makes up about 27 percent of all matter and energy in the universe. The regular matter, which makes up everything we can see around us, is only 5 percent of the universe. The rest is dark energy, a strange phenomenon associated with the acceleration of our expanding universe.
Neither dark matter nor dark energy has ever been directly detected, although many experiments are trying to unlock the mysteries of dark matter, whether from deep underground or in space.
Based on many observations of its gravitational pull in action, scientists are certain that dark matter exists,
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/earth-might-have-hairy-dark-matter

LZ is one of three major experiments funded by the DOE and NSF that aim to directly detect dark matter, a goal that has tantalized scientists for over thirty years. While past experiments such as LUX, the predecessor to LZ, came up short, this next generation of projects hopes to tackle the challenge using systems with unprecedented scale and sensitivity.

“You could say we’re the world’s best at finding nothing. I mean, people have said that and so far, it’s actually true,” Gilchriese says. “It very well may be that people spend ten years plus and we find absolutely nothing.”
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/new-generation-dark-matter-experiments-gear-search-elusive-particle-180974111/

There's a feature of the real universe that we are simply not capturing in our current theoretical models. This could signal a gap in our current understanding of the nature of dark matter and its properties, as these exquisite data have permitted us to probe the detailed distribution of dark matter on the smallest scales.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/hubble-observations-suggest-a-missing-ingredient-in-dark-matter-theories

"There is no good reason to assume that all the dark matter in the universe is built out of one type of particle," physicist Andrey Katz of Harvard University said to Space.com, Live Science's sister site. Dark protons could combine with dark electrons to form dark atoms, producing configurations as diverse and interesting as those found in the visible world, Katz said. While such proposals have increasingly been imagined in physics labs, figuring out a way to confirm or deny them has so far eluded scientists.
https://www.livescience.com/64113-dark-matter-mysteries.html

My point here is that science is perfectly willing to admit that there is an overwhelming amount of something going on that we have as yet no means to directly measure, even despite a hefty investment of time and resources. The only verifiable evidence is galactic-scale gravitational effects, so is its existence just a guess in order to mathematically explain how we think gravity should behave? I'll take it on faith though that they know what they are talking about.

The next point then is this: So yes, galaxies exist, but there is clearly a lot of other nuance going on, as evidenced by life itself. And yes, dark matter interacts with galaxies, but is it really too much to assume that there could be entire intricate worlds made out of it, completely outside of what can be scientifically proven as "real"?

Edited by Nintendao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems likely to me that the dark matter could be the Void.  The original idea pushes out, once thought.  The universe is still expanding as the thought expands.  When reading something like the Avatamsaka Sutra or the Lotus Sutra, there is much mention of zillions of 'Buddha lands' which exist, but not on this plane, apparently.  How could it possibly be, that there are so very many atomic combinations; our life, our galaxy operates on a particular formula.  but who's to say there aren't other atomic combinations happening right now, even in this very spot?  That 'matter' is composed of different ratios and therefore don't appear to exist on our plane?

• Like 1

Yas! Buddha Lands. they say the materia obscura surrounds and pervades all space even the 999% inside atoms. It’s lighter than light. It’s only called dark because it doesn’t interact with our relatively low-frequency light waves, and even x-rays. The best shot at a force other than gravity for dm to interact with is the weak nuclear force. Gamma level vibrations, all the way at the top end of the known electromagnetic spectrum. Just have to find the right harmonic.

8 hours ago, Nintendao said:

Yas! Buddha Lands. they say the materia obscura surrounds and pervades all space even the 999% inside atoms. It’s lighter than light. It’s only called dark because it doesn’t interact with our relatively low-frequency light waves, and even x-rays. The best shot at a force other than gravity for dm to interact with is the weak nuclear force. Gamma level vibrations, all the way at the top end of the known electromagnetic spectrum. Just have to find the right harmonic.

The exact number I think you're talking about is 99.9999999999999 (13 nines) to 1.  Not much in there at all, but what's there is apparently spinning pretty fast :D

• Like 1