chaosbananaman

Metal implants and Qi

Looking to get a surgery soon. Looks like they will use a permanent stainless steel suture in the body. I was wondering how foreign objectives and implants in body affect practice especially at the high levels. Especially if someone has some kind of really big implant like a titanium rod in the femur. How would that affect practice? 

Saw a thread similar to this where there were some interesting discussions about metal and their interaction with Qi: 

Wondering how this would change if the metal was in the body instead 

I have a metal 'hip' joint .   I didnt notice any interference due to that . 

I certainly noticed interference in the year before I had the operation , due to the degeneration and  'bad'  ( degenerative )  pain and other things *

Not long after the operation - about two weeks - I started gentle training again  and immediately noticed the difference ( improvement ), even though incapacitated  and with pain, but now it was 'good' (associated with healing , not degeneration ) pain  - and this was significant as I am 'allergic' to pain killers , so could not have any  ( after the 'pump' was removed 2 days after surgery ) ** .

* I have a, maybe, different approach to Qi generation and flow  and give body posture, alignment and movement  great significance . So before and after  physical 'dis-abilites'  did play a part . I mostly discounted that above, as , due to that improving as my physical  movement, weight distribution, etc  improved , so did  Qi flow .   If it had  stayed effected , then I might have thought the metal implant was interfering .

An important aside .   Here they give 'Endone'  ( and really nothing else ) for pain relief . It and things like it are atrocious !  They will scramble everything , not just Qi  - make you do crazy stuff that you may not even be aware of and that may well endanger you   ( eg, friend looking after someone post hip replacement , found her bent over in the garden -  a big no no -  days after operation digging weeds  ... she had 'forgot ' . Another , hip replacement again ... went surfing !   days after , pooped it out of the socket . Both off face on endone .  

I have a lot more info on this and morphine receptors in body , but probably not  relevant  if you do NOT have allergy to morphine derivatives  , or they give you something better .

PS . Not a fan of plastic  and other unnatural fibres .

Some times I feel strange and flow does not feel right or erratic , or even everyday activities .  Particularly at end of day, at night . I noticed its a particular 2 sweatshirts I have .  I noticed this link first, when one time in the dark, I tool it off and threw it to the floor , Thin hair like crackles of light where running through it and I could actually hear a faint electrical crackling sound .

https://highlatitudestyle.com/electrostatics-or-why-clothes-release-sparks/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chaosbananaman said:

Looking to get a surgery soon.

Wouldn’t worry too much - if you need the surgery then go for it - no point creating extra stress.

Yes it will affect things - but in reality, over time the body and Qi will normalise things and get used to it. 

If it’s something like a belly button ring - and it’s not too sentimental to you, then yes, it’s better to avoid it.

If it’s something for your health then don’t let cultivation be something that stops you getting an op that improves your life.

• Like 1

My teacher recently had to undergo a knee replacement surgery (the result of martial arts injuries from the 1980s) -- they ended up having to do metal implants to hold the knee in place.

He told me that he doesn't feel any difference. He recovered to a fully functional stage from that surgery in under 3 months, was walking without any support in under 6 weeks from the day of surgery. He is 73 years old. He was teaching taiji, throwing us around like rag dolls in the fourth month after his surgery.

He still has some inflammation from the surgery in the tissues and muscles supporting the area, but according to the doctors the inflammation (swelling) takes time to go away. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1