Prince...

New Here

I stumbled onto this forum back in January, but just now made it back; so I figured that I would make a profile and not be a guest reading postings.

Not really sure what to say...my first experience with Taoism came in an Asian Religions class I took back in college. I was a religion major, but most of the stuff I learned outside of the traditions that I grew up around made little to no sense, at the time. Since then I've been in and out of the Navy, been around the world, seen some things up close, and now I guess I'm trynna see how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

My first up close and personal encounter with Taoism came when I was studying Wingchun kungfu in San Diego. My senior brother suggested I read The Magus of Java, just to kinda clue me in on all this "Neigung" stuff that he'd been talking about all that time.

Ha, like most people, I tried to find out everything I could about the Mo Pai school, via the internet, but I kinda realized that the purpose of the books were to get people meditating...so that's what I did.

Well, now I am back home in Tennessee. I'm studying Southern Praying Mantis kungfu and enjoying it. I'm working on my small library of books on meditation. I have a few books on Taoist Yoga and such, but I don't know if it's just trash to scam ignorant people out of their money or the real deal. I just thought I'd join this community to talk with other people with a similiar interest, but I think more than anything, I probably need to find a teacher. (not sure how to go about that, exactly) :(

Edited by Prince...

Welcome! I am from san diego. Where in san diego were you studying? you will find a lot of help here. feel free to ask any questions...

Welcome! I am from san diego. Where in san diego were you studying? you will find a lot of help here. feel free to ask any questions...

I studied Wingchun at the Jing Institute of Chinese Martial Arts. It is mostly a school for Tai Chi & Wushu competition, but they offered a few other arts there.

Since my original post I have stopped studying Southern Mantis. I've been learning Yang style Taiji and Yiquan with a friend. I enjoy the calming aspects even though I know it will take much longer to develop the martial side.